Author Topic: Elongated plastic washer for a test jig  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Pack34Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Elongated plastic washer for a test jig
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:35:00 pm »
I'm putting together a test jig with some pogo pins and was hoping to secure it down during the test. I know I've seen this type of hardware before but I'm having trouble finding it.

Basically what I'm looking for is an elongated plastic washer. A plastic washer that has a slot instead of a circle cutout. There has to be another name for something like this because so far all I've found were toilet seats.

The end goal is to have something that could sit on top of a spacer and swing or slide in-and-out to retain the board-under-test in contact with the pins while the test is being run. I could probably makeshift something out of some scrap plastic or wood but I wanted to make this jig look professional.

Any ideas?

Offline lincoln

• Regular Contributor
Re: Elongated plastic washer for a test jig
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:22 pm »
Hmm, Do you mean like a slot (ref A) for adjustment,  or like a key hole (ref B) for easy installation ect?

Link

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 10:45:46 pm »
Obtain a circle washer and cut into the circle to create the slot.

Offline Pack34Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:59:55 pm »
Hmm, Do you mean like a slot (ref A) for adjustment,  or like a key hole (ref B) for easy installation ect?

Link

A. The one for adjustment.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 12:25:34 am »
I'm putting together a test jig with some pogo pins and was hoping to secure it down during the test. I know I've seen this type of hardware before but I'm having trouble finding it.

Basically what I'm looking for is an elongated plastic washer. A plastic washer that has a slot instead of a circle cutout. There has to be another name for something like this because so far all I've found were toilet seats.

The end goal is to have something that could sit on top of a spacer and swing or slide in-and-out to retain the board-under-test in contact with the pins while the test is being run. I could probably makeshift something out of some scrap plastic or wood but I wanted to make this jig look professional.

Any ideas?

any old washer with an offset hole, just turn it to retain

Offline calzap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 02:19:04 am »
Get a set of cork borers.  See the pic.  Essential for anyone who wants to make custom soft washers.  Available from Amazon, eBay and any scientific supply house.  Works for rubber, leather, and soft plastics (vinyl, polyethylene, polypropylene, Teflon, etc.).  You can do the big cut first.  Then if you need a rectangular slot, use a utility knife or scalpel to cut it.  If you need keyhole slots or slots with rounded ends, use smaller cork borers plus a utility knife.  If you need to make a lot of soft washers, you can buy a more expensive cork-boring machine that has a crank handle or motor.

Mike in California

Offline DTJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 03:09:06 am »
I've used the little fingers of FR4 that come attached to panels of PCBs for exactly what you are talking about.

They insulate, they are springy and they were free. I mounted them using M3 or M4 brass hex pillars.

Alternately check out your local big hardware for any drawer or door clicky type fixings that could be adapted.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf