Author Topic: Electrical contacting on aluminium busbar  (Read 13667 times)

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
Re: Electrical contacting on aluminium busbar
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2019, 12:28:04 am »
...I'm not sure how popular Belleville washers are in the EU, though,...
Just a little bit of nationalist pedantry: Switzerland (where the OP is) is in Europe, but is not part of the EU.  ;D

You know how us 'Murican's are... can barely identify whether Canada is to the north and Mexico is to the south, so everything across the big pond is just one big mess.  :P

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2019, 03:44:38 am »
...I'm not sure how popular Belleville washers are in the EU, though,...
Just a little bit of nationalist pedantry: Switzerland (where the OP is) is in Europe, but is not part of the EU.  ;D

You know how us 'Murican's are... can barely identify whether Canada is to the north and Mexico is to the south, so everything across the big pond is just one big mess.  :P
Hahahaha yep. Being American myself, when I'm back in the States visiting, you can't imagine how many times I get asked "Oh, you live in Switzerland! Neat! How's your Swedish?"  :palm:

And of course I know the stories from the pre-Web days, when mail-order meant calling up the company on the phone, where people in New Mexico would try to order something (from a US vendor) and be told "oh, sorry, we don't ship abroad"…  :palm: :palm:

And then of course one neighboring country (to Switzerland) is Austria, where the people have to explain to some Americans that no, they don't have kangaroos and Crocodile Dundee in Vienna…  :palm: :palm: :palm:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:46:32 am by tooki »

Offline damien22Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2019, 04:07:09 am »
Exactly :P

Offline duak

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2019, 06:10:43 am »
A few have replied that Alodine is not appropriate as it is an insulator.  This is true if the Alodining is Class 1A for maximum corrosion protection.  However, it is not true for Class 3.  Please see the first page of MIL-DTL-5541F at https://www.chemical-supermarket.com/files/Henkel%20Alodine%20Conversion%20Coatings/Spec,%20MIL-DTL-5541F.pdf

I have a few sample pieces over 20 years old and it is indeed conductive with little or no contact pressure.  I mentioned it because it is used in aircraft and the vendor is most likely used to dealing with unusually sized pieces of aluminium.

Cheers,

The following users thanked this post: MagicSmoker

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:32 pm »
And of course I know the stories from the pre-Web days, when mail-order meant calling up the company on the phone, where people in New Mexico would try to order something (from a US vendor) and be told "oh, sorry, we don't ship abroad"…  :palm: :palm:
You know how you mention something, and then it pops up on its own? I just came across this yesterday, after I commented the above: apparently this is such a big problem with New Mexico that the state's travel magazine has been writing about it for years!

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine/heart-of-nm/one-of-our-50-is-missing/

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2019, 12:18:39 pm »
Hahahaha yep. Being American myself, when I'm back in the States visiting, you can't imagine how many times I get asked "Oh, you live in Switzerland! Neat! How's your Swedish?"  :palm:

Hah, even I know the correct question to ask is, "How's your Swiss?"  >:D

(I kid!)

A few have replied that Alodine is not appropriate as it is an insulator.  This is true if the Alodining is Class 1A for maximum corrosion protection.  However, it is not true for Class 3. ...

Interesting. I knew there were two options for Alodine, but I thought the distinction was between whether exceptionally nasty hexavalent chromium was used, or slightly less nasty trivalent; I had no idea there was a process specifically for maintaining conductivity, so thanks to you for learning me something new.

Offline damien22Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2019, 08:36:23 am »
For the Feedback, we had a try a Tin coating on aluminum and that seems to be the winner.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf