Author Topic: Type-C in Micro USB footprint (female connectors)  (Read 55314 times)

Offline dma_k

Re: Type-C in Micro USB footprint (female connectors)
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2023, 05:40:55 pm »
I was also not able to find a 6-pin USB-C SMD connector that has D+ and D- wired... However there are videos like that one (probably) showing that D+ / D- are also soldered. Anyone knows where to buy such connector?

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2023, 06:18:26 pm »
Connectors with 14 or 16 pins and D+/D- are commonly available from major brands/distributors now.  Digikey list these under 'Number of contacts: 24 (14+10 Dummy)'.  This search link might work.

I've used the Molex 2171790001, but many are similar.  The smallest pads are generally 0.5mm pitch, so no worse than a fine pitch QFP in terms of soldering. 

CCx are Configuration Channel pins, they have no bearing on the data connection.

They do if your device will connect to a dual-role port, in which case the CC pins with 5k1 pulldowns allow the DRP to detect a device connection before enabling VBus. 

Offline Richy_T

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2023, 10:16:08 pm »
Just came across the 8-pins on aliexpress and ordered a bunch. Does anyone have an Eagle library or I might knock one up myself? I assume that it's basically the same pinout as the 16-pin versions but it might be nice to have a 8-pin specific one just to make the soldering simpler (though working with an existing 16-pin would allow part swapping, I guess).

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2023, 11:23:32 am »
FWIW, I've found to my expense that USB C receptacles aren't particularly robust, particularly if you inadvertently try to insert a Lightning plug into one.  |O

I blame Apple. For Lightning existing.
Well, if they’d never invented Lightning, USB-C wouldn’t exist, either! ;)

Offline Richy_T

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2023, 02:55:53 am »
Well, the 16 pin USB library I got is showing errors in Eagle and has weird milling marks so I may have to roll my own. Though I'm not sure how the cheap fab places are with milling anyway. I have to say that I'm just tempted to go with breakout boards for what I'm doing.

Offline mengfei

• Regular Contributor
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 09:15:59 am by mengfei »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf