Author Topic: Diode-connected transistor has negative resistance?  (Read 251 times)

Roehrenonkel, Alex Nikitin, djacobow, mayor and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline merlinbTopic starter

• Contributor
I needed a CA3086 transistor array but they've got crazy expensive, so I tried subbing a HFA3046. Long story short, it didn't work, but that's not really my question.

I discovered that with the base and collector connected together, the CA3086 behaves like a normal diode like you'd expect.
But the HFA3046 has negative resistance! I have attached my measured DC I/V curves for diode-connected, and for just the BE junction alone.
How is this possible? Has anyone else seen diode-connected transistors exhibit negative resistance? Is there anything on the datasheet I should look for if I wanted to exploit/avoid this feature in future?
Datasheet: https://docs.rs-online.com/8edb/0900766b8002512d.pdf
« Last Edit: Today at 01:31:08 pm by merlinb »

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Diode-connected transistor has negative resistance?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:06:26 pm »
I've heard of negative resistance when the C and E terminals are swapped (transistor "reversed"):
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fooln-around-with-dso-awg/msg4422982/#msg4422982

How does the plot looks like if you reverse C with E?

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:09:35 pm »
Somethings wrong here, your graph shows a BE only junction conducting ~0.25ma at 400mV Vbe. Unless this was conducted at a very high temperature like 100C, this is not possible with a proper silicon bipolar small junction transistor.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:16:43 pm »
Static damage?
These are 8GHz transistors, small geometries, easy to damage.

Offline merlinbTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:24:01 pm »
Static damage?
Not impossible I suppose, though I did get the same behaviour from all four transistors in the package, and I tried two separate packages

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline AnalogTodd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:02:35 pm »
Static damage?
Not impossible I suppose, though I did get the same behaviour from all four transistors in the package, and I tried two separate packages
Which curve did you take first? If you are getting as much current as you show for the BE junction, the diode junction should show at least as much current.
Lived in the home of the gurus for many years.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:38:59 pm »
I needed a CA3086 transistor array but they've got crazy expensive, so I tried subbing a HFA3046. Long story short, it didn't work, but that's not really my question.

I discovered that with the base and collector connected together, the CA3086 behaves like a normal diode like you'd expect.
But the HFA3046 has negative resistance! I have attached my measured DC I/V curves for diode-connected, and for just the BE junction alone.
How is this possible? Has anyone else seen diode-connected transistors exhibit negative resistance? Is there anything on the datasheet I should look for if I wanted to exploit/avoid this feature in future?
Datasheet: https://docs.rs-online.com/8edb/0900766b8002512d.pdf

Show us a picture of your experimental setup, complete with schematic. That can be very informative and help rule out (or in!) some possible causes.

In the absence of a photo, even a written description and hand-drawn schematic are better than nothing.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:47:53 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:08:17 pm »
How is this possible? Has anyone else seen diode-connected transistors exhibit negative resistance?

Something is awry in your measurements.
Take the plots in two directions up and down, as the two way sweep can expose hysteresis from effects like self heating.

The using-collector curves should always be lower in voltage / higher in current than base only connection - see their data. Zero negative resistance there .
NPN VBE junctions are very well behaved, but GHz RF parts will be very small and very good at picking up stray RF.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf