Author Topic: daysAlive Machine (dAM) for your desktop  (Read 5261 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
daysAlive Machine (dAM) for your desktop
« on: December 12, 2012, 11:27:32 pm »
This is perhaps a strange item to post at EEVBlog - but I thought what the hell - maybe it's fun for a few people here   :D

20 years ago I built version 1.0 of a small electronic artwork called 'Days Alive' - basically a counter that, once set, would count days very precisely and using very little current (none of the original series - an edition of 7 - has yet to be returned to have the lithium battery replaced). The edition sold out back in '92 - and  then in 2005 I created a second, smaller version (as shown in the photos).

So, in celebration of the 20 year anniversary of the original piece - and the fact that I happen to be 20202 days old today - on 12/12/12  ;)  I've revamped the online software simulation  - and wrote a page describing the 10-easy-steps in order to place the software daysAlive Machine on your PC desktop (as shown in the attached image). It's for Windows 7 users - if you still use Windows 2000, you can accomplish the same thing with the Active Desktop feature, although you now how that it ;)

Anyway, the counter will rollover at your birth time every day (+/- 30 minutes - which is what the refresh is set to - and assuming an internet connection). Enjoy  ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:29:30 pm by marmad »

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
Re: daysAlive Machine (dAM) for your desktop
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02:32 am »
When you are at it also add the flag of your country in your profile.
As i can see on your desktop you are dutch ( belastingdienst :C ) .
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:38:48 am »
When you are at it also add the flag of your country in your profile.
As i can see on your desktop you are dutch ( belastingdienst :C ) .

I've mentioned in other threads I'm in NL - but I'm a not big believer in flags - or countries for that matter - but I still have to do taxes :)

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 02:41:25 am »
Why not throw an RGB backlight on that LCD so you can slowly change the color from green, through yellow to amber and finally red -- as you get closer to "average life expectency".

If you make it beyond the average, add some flashing to the red backlight.

Nothing like a daily reminder of your mortality  :o

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:04:09 am »
Why not throw an RGB backlight on that LCD so you can slowly change the color from green, through yellow to amber and finally red -- as you get closer to "average life expectency".

Although perhaps an interesting effect, it would have negated the possibility of creating an object which ran for +40 years on a single non-rechargeable lithium cell.

Nothing like a daily reminder of your mortality  :o

It doesn't really function like that - just like looking at a calender daily doesn't necessarily remind you of your mortality. You never see it change - it's more like a snail that you notice has changed position when you're not looking at it. It tends to make you question and/or ascribe meaning to the way we normally demarcate the passage of time in modern civilization. Think of it as a replacement for cycles of the moon - which most of us don't even notice anymore.

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 03:54:40 am »
Hmm. could you explain what the purpose of that thing is?

I mean, on Linux i do "uptime" on the command line, for example, and get something like:

chris@desk:~$ uptime
 04:51:04 up 307 days,  6:39,  1 user,  load average: 0.19, 0.08, 0.04
chris@desk:~$

... Which tells me the time that my machine is running (actual output in the quote above)

Or is your thing supposed to tell me the days of _my_ life until the current date? If so, what about a battery change after XX years? Do i have to reset/reconfig it?

Maybe i'm just not getting it ;)

Greetings,

Chris

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 10:21:12 am »
Or is your thing supposed to tell me the days of _my_ life until the current date?

Yes, that's right. Although you can use it to count the 'lifespan' of anything in days - my parents have had one on their wall counting the days of their marriage since 1992.

If so, what about a battery change after XX years? Do i have to reset/reconfig it?

Well, as mentioned, none of them has ever required a battery change yet. The current draw is so low, that the estimated battery life based on that is well beyond the manufacturers' physical estimations for the battery (+35 years). So honestly, I don't know how long they'll last. But in any case, it's easy to reset them to what ever amount you want them counting from - and at whatever time of day you want them rolling over: there are small switches under the LCD (see diagram).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:22:54 am by marmad »

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:26:18 am »
When it starts counting backwards, that's the time to worry.  :scared:

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 10:52:23 am »
When it starts counting backwards, that's the time to worry.  :scared:

Hmmm, if only the machine allowed you to choose which direction - you could recycle your own personal Groundhog Days  ;)

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 05:04:43 am »

Although perhaps an interesting effect, it would have negated the possibility of creating an object which ran for +40 years on a single non-rechargeable lithium cell.
Simple, whack a solar cell and a super-cap with a little circuit that doesn't turn on or flash the backlight until the SC is fully charged -- then it will run/flash until the SC is discharged and the cycle repeats.

Good luck getting a lithium cell that will last 40 years -- even the best will likely suffer from gradual breakdown of the chemicals -- I'm thinking that maybe a supercap and solar cell arrangement might be the best option for powering the whole damned thing.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 10:10:42 am »
Good luck getting a lithium cell that will last 40 years -- even the best will likely suffer from gradual breakdown of the chemicals

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I seem to recall an estimate in the neighborhood of ~35 years in terms of the lithium cells used - I have something here that has been running for 26 years on the same cell. Then again, manufacturers of electronic devices have been notoriously bad at predicting the lifespan of devices; I remember when IC manufacturers use to predict ~5-10 years of running life for chips. Come to think of it, perhaps our planet would be in better shape if we were (or had been) better able to predict long-term effects.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:15:10 am by marmad »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 03:23:37 pm »
Lithium coin cells from reputable manufacturers ( Panasonic ones for example) could run for years after the nominal 10 year shelf life. Nothing wrong with a cell being made for ultra long life, they have applications as backup power for memory.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »
Lithium coin cells from reputable manufacturers ( Panasonic ones for example) could run for years after the nominal 10 year shelf life.

Lithium-thionyl chloride batteries have a "specified" service life up to 20 years, which is what was used on these devices. There are 10 out in the field that have been running for over 20 years now - and I have another here that has reached 26 years without a problem.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf