Author Topic: Custom electronics bench  (Read 1787 times)

Offline TetzlyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Custom electronics bench
« on: February 24, 2019, 11:46:31 pm »
I always wanted one of those industrial quality electronics benches for assembly, tear down, soldering etc...but the price of said desks is always so crazy high it was more just look and dream. So yeah, as the title eludes to, I decided to build one myself. I got a few school tables for cheap, these tables are 1 1/8" thick (about 30mm), and have hard plastic on the edges, they are very solid. I cut one up to make a shelf and two side support pieces. I pocket hole screwed the supports to the shelf. I made a frame for some pegboard out of 3/16" masonite that I cut out of one piece to avoid any joints, and installed that in the back with a pin nailer (finish nails and a hammer would work fine). I painted it all with some cheap "oops" paint from the hardware store. I added a small LED light in there, and hey...it came out pretty nice! Ultimately I will screw the assembled shelf structure down to the top of the desk from underneath, although it is very sturdy and solid just sitting on the table with no fasteners. The only problem is my wife wants it for her stamping and embossing stuff before I even had a home for it, oh well, I'll have to make another one. :-//

I cut all the material for this project with just a skilsaw, by clamping a straight edge on the material to act as a guide...my table saw is currently broken, but the cuts came out very clean and straight with patience, a few clamps, and a circular saw. I assemble it with a kreg Jig pocket hole tool, which I highly recommend to anyone, it's very easy to use and the results are fantastic...super strong, no glue(dis-assemble-able, is that a word?  lol)...great for assembling work benches and desks, and it's pretty cheap.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:16:35 am by Tetzly »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline Silver_Pharaoh

• Contributor
Re: Custom electronics bench
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 12:12:44 am »
Looks good man!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 03:28:22 am »
Looks good man!

Thanks mate! I just put it in my new room, it almost looks too good to work on...lol.

Offline ranthalion

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 03:34:54 am »
Nice!  I'd like to see it loaded with projects and equipment.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 03:51:11 am »
Nice!  I'd like to see it loaded with projects and equipment.

Thank you! I can't wait honestly. I have been working on a new work space for the last month or so and I am just about finished...
(https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/new-electronics-lab-layout-design-the-ultimate-space/).

I'll post a video of the move in, although my equipment is pretty basic, I'm just an excited beginner and all. It should still be a fun video.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:19:42 am by Tetzly »

Offline aiq25

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 04:34:15 am »
Looks very nice. Good job!

The following users thanked this post: Tetzly

Offline austfox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 03:36:58 am »
Great work. I’d never heard of those Kreg tools before, but looks like I’ll have to add one to my workshop sometime soon.

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 04:10:15 am »
Very nice. Looks a lot like our benches at work You could put a small fan behind the rear panel to draw away solder fumes.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 05:35:59 am »
Great work. I’d never heard of those Kreg tools before, but looks like I’ll have to add one to my workshop sometime soon.

Thanks sir. I got one of the basic 39 dollar kits for Christmas and used it for the first time on this project...and as a carpenter I approve big time. Any old C clamp works with this basic kit by the way, quick clamps work fine too....don't need to buy the special kreg one.

Very nice. Looks a lot like our benches at work You could put a small fan behind the rear panel to draw away solder fumes.

Thanks sir. My new room has a built in fume extraction system, but I love the idea. I was thinking of things I could build into it, it's kind of tough not having ever worked in the field and still being somewhat new to electronics though. I was thinking integrated testing stuff...routing out area for custom flush mount DC power, custom digital display for metering or something.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:58:47 am by Tetzly »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 05:59:49 am »
That looks nice!
I am always amazed at what you can build with just a skilsaw. This is one of the most basic tools I have never owned or operated. I actually don't trust myself with one, but that might be my excuse for buying several other tools to get around not having a skilsaw.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf