Author Topic: COVID-19 Emergency - Using UV Lamps to sanitize Face Masks overnight  (Read 21939 times)

Offline HousemanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi all forum.
I’m Steve writing from Milan in the north of Italy where the Covid-19 emergency is by far the most significant here than in other parts of Italy.

As you may know (what happens in all Europe) we have a shortage in the supply of the non-reusable FFP3 face masks and the ones only available are used and reused for days even more than the datasheet suggests.
Here doctors are even forced to work using simple tissue dentist masks.
Having a wife that is a doctor I am wondering if using technology I could avoid in some ways the danger of reusing the same mask over and over maybe touching her face with a contaminated mask.
So I was thinking building her a 222-nm far-UVC light lamp in a box, where she can put the mask after use and being sanitized during the night.
I have read about Far UV lamps and the capability to kill germs and viruses:
Here an article on pubmed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5807439/

I am asking if you think it is a good choice other than maybe change the internal carbon filter.

So I would like, if possible, start a thread in order to discuss and maybe be helpful also for other people and other countries since we have seen the pandemia is spreading worldwide and it will last for months.

Best regards and thanks.

Steve

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: COVID-19 Emergency - Using UV Lamps to sanitize Face Masks overnight
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 05:26:08 pm »
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/2019-novel-coronavirus-myth-versus-fact
normal mask is likely not to protect you at all, you are more likely to get covid through your hand, skin or cloth contact. always wash your hand when you think you touched contaminated area, and your face too if someone sneeze or cough on your face, dont poke your eye, mouth nose with unwashed hand. be safe.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline SuzyC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 05:27:19 pm »
UV will kill bacteria but might also damage the mask fabric by ozone attack.

Why not a quick solution: dip/spray with > 64% C2H302 and then hair-dryer dried?

The Covid-19 Corona virus is encased in a lipid (a fatty cover) that is quickly dissolved by ethanol.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:35:05 pm by SuzyC »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 05:34:54 pm »
I'd suggest overnight in 60 degrees oven, sauna or other improvised heat source.

CoV is similar to Ebola aka "enveloped virus" and should be reasonably easy to destroy.
https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/clinicians/cleaning/ebola-virus-survivability.html

60 degrees or even hotter 80C? 100C? shouldn't be a problem for the mask material itself.

Note that this is 100% unproven and non-professional advice but..  :scared:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:36:46 pm by mzzj »

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 05:36:40 pm »
  Steve,

I've been wondering the same thing. Germicidal UV lamps operate at the same wavelength as EPROM erasers I believe and I have a pile of old EPROM erasers here.  The problem with UV is that it doesn't penetrate and it doesn't go around corners so it's only effective in direct line of sight.  I looking into using UV sterlization when I had a MRSA infection several years ago and it appeared that it would need several hours of direct exposure at close range in order to deal with most bacteria.  I have no idea regarding viruses.

OTOH I'm also wondering if used masks could be washed, dried and reused.  A solution of Clorox and water would almost certainly kill the virus but might be to harsh on the mask.  I would think that a Hydrogen Peroxide or alcohol solution would be effective but won't damage the masks. Drying them in a warmed or hot, vacuum oven would be the fastest and would probably help kill any remaining bacteria or viruses.

Ozone would probably also be effective in killed any viruses and UV lights usually generate a ton of ozone. Ozone would also penetrate the fabric of the masks. I have a large commercial HEPA air filter that has two germicidal UV lamps in it and it does generate some ozone.  Anytime that I get old musty books or other smelly items, I set them on top of it and let the air/ozone blow around them and it always kills the odor.  An old LASER printer that emits ozone will do the same thing.

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 06:05:19 pm »
Formaldehyde gas will also kill the coronavirus. You can use paraformaldehyde crystals as the generator. It is one method for sterilizing operating microscopes. In an air tight box – a must – the crystals should last for months.
-John

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 06:44:33 pm »
The problem with UV is that it doesn't penetrate and it doesn't go around corners so it's only effective in direct line of sight.
People restoring vintage computers using retrobrighting technique reported that covering the inside of the container with aluminum foil produces even coverage of UV light because of reflection. Makes sense to me.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 06:54:55 pm »
I agree that heat should be easier to implement and more reliable in disinfecting the whole mask, not only the surface where the light hits. Try oven.

Offline duak

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 07:06:20 pm »
I have been thinking about this too.  New masks would be better.  Used masks could become a infection source for anything nasty that grows on them.  I would expect that irradiating the masks with UV and then vacuuming them would not hurt.

UV lamps have been used in HVAC (Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning) systems for a number of years.  We have a central heat pump that I added a UV lamp to.  After over 10 years, the heat exchanger seems quite clean even though in the summer when it's cooling, it is covered with condensation.   The refrigerator, on the other hand sometimes develops a bit of mold in the condensate pan.

Good luck to all,

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 07:54:07 pm »
I'd suggest overnight in 60 degrees oven, sauna or other improvised heat source.

Speaking of which, I recently happen to modify the egg incubator (that I use for temperature drift testing) from 12V DC to AC power. Got a little cute MeanWell caged power supply which fit perfectly inside and replaced the DC power jack with a normal AC socket. Incidentally, the max temperature that can be set is 60C. Should things escalate, can be used for mask baking.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:55:39 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 08:03:26 pm »
   I wonder how much I can get for my old UV EPROM erasers/virus killers on E-bay?

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 08:12:04 pm »
Formaldehyde gas will also kill the coronavirus. You can use paraformaldehyde crystals as the generator. It is one method for sterilizing operating microscopes. In an air tight box – a must – the crystals should last for months.

Chlorine Dioxide works well too.  Good luck getting any if you aren't the Government! ClO2 is what they used to disinfect the entire US Congress building when they suspected it was infected with antrax. I expect that pure chlorine gas would also work but not many people want to work with that.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 08:17:41 pm »
Would microwaving the masks for a few seconds or more work.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 08:21:45 pm »
   I wonder how much I can get for my old UV EPROM erasers/virus killers on E-bay?
About 1 roll of toilet paper.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 08:32:22 pm »
Good old fashioned pressure cooker? - It's about as close to an autoclave as you're going to find at home.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 09:09:54 pm »
Good old fashioned pressure cooker? - It's about as close to an autoclave as you're going to find at home.
Works but probably 400% overkill and possibly damaging to the masks.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 10:01:41 pm »
Would microwaving the masks for a few seconds or more work.

Few seconds is not enough, a minute or two should be. But the problem is any sort of conductive element will cause havoc in the microwave, so you'd want to very careful. Think staples, reflective ink, etc. carbon filters might be an issue as well?

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11434-014-0171-3
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0307945042000205874
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 10:15:35 pm »

I'm not sure about overkill, a domestic pressure cooker it would probably be hard pressed to reach the required 130'C. Remember the mask would only be exposed to steam, not the boiling water. It would probably be a lot more gentle than dry uneven heat in a microwave.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 10:19:31 pm »
Hopefully you all distinguish between a "face mask" and an "FFP3 respirator".
Readers discretion is advised..

The following users thanked this post: not1xor1

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 11:17:38 pm »
If it's sunny in your area, just leave the masks in a car parked outside. You'll be surprised how good of a solar collector a car is even on cooler days.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 05:02:41 am »
If it's sunny in your area, just leave the masks in a car parked outside. You'll be surprised how good of a solar collector a car is even on cooler days.
Car windshields filter UV though (unless you are talking about heat generation)...

Offline twospoons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 05:24:08 am »
The problem with UV is shadowing. Heat or an alcohol soak would be better as they will penetrate the cloth, where UV will only disinfect the outside.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 05:43:18 am »
Intensity of any local source of UV light is going to fall off rapidly. I'm not sure you'll be able to to kill much of anything. Chemical or heat sterilization is probably best.

The following users thanked this post: mzzj, thm_w

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 06:01:18 am »

I'm not sure about overkill, a domestic pressure cooker it would probably be hard pressed to reach the required 130'C. Remember the mask would only be exposed to steam, not the boiling water. It would probably be a lot more gentle than dry uneven heat in a microwave.
130 degrees C is required to make sure something like surgical equipment in hospital is 99.999999% free of ALL pathogens. We are now interested mostly killing some wimpy viruses, not bacterial spores or prions.
And even less than perfect result is better than nothing when you are in nearly war-like situation like Italy.
If 60 degrees is good enough for Ebola I see COVID no different. 

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 06:58:14 am »
Hopefully you all distinguish between a "face mask" and an "FFP3 respirator".

yes all the replies are a pile of bullshit, some will just destroy the mask, other will make it toxic or not provide any sanitation

scientific literature (use proper search engine on the net to find that) proves that both ethanol and isopropanol destroy the capsid (the protein shell of the virus) in 30 seconds

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf