Author Topic: Chip LED with wrong polarity marking? :o  (Read 759 times)

Offline ricko_ukTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Chip LED with wrong polarity marking? :o
« on: October 02, 2021, 08:37:13 pm »
Hi,
This is a first in 25 years...

I just had a batch of these LEDs from Digikey: https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/239/Lite-On%20PLCC2%20T680%20series%20Catalog%202010-1175321.pdf

and they have the cathode marking (little triangle) the wrong way around. If I connect ground to it it does not light up but if I reverse the polarity it does... See attached photos. BTW yes the leads colour/polarity is correct :) :)

Out of curiosity, has anybody ever come across anything like that?

Thank you :)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Chip LED with wrong polarity marking? :o
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 08:43:49 pm »
You purchased them from digikey but link goes to a datasheet from Mouser. Are you 100% sure that datasheet is for the exact part number? Give a link to actual part you purchased.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 09:04:57 pm »
Yes that is the part specified in the BOM. I just emailed the assembler to check if they used some alternative part without my authorisation. To be more specific I specified them from Digikey but got them through the assembler (the ones in the pictures are the remaining stock of the order).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:06:52 pm by ricko_uk »

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 02:21:04 am »
What's wrong with the datasheet?  It shows the triangle identifies the cathode.  Assuming red lead is the supply, that looks correct to me.

Edit: oh, you flipped it between the pictures?  That does look backwards.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 02:23:39 am by bson »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 05:55:04 am »
Yes that is the part specified in the BOM. I just emailed the assembler to check if they used some alternative part without my authorisation. To be more specific I specified them from Digikey but got them through the assembler (the ones in the pictures are the remaining stock of the order).
So you don't even know if they are actually from Digikey. Assembler probably used some cheaper alternative/counterfeit and hoped you wouldn't notice. Also I don't think it should be black anywhere as it is on top, it should be purely white. Cannot find an actual picture of the exact part number, but here is an actual picture of a similar liteon LED. https://lcsc.com/product-detail/Light-Emitting-Diodes-LED_Lite-On-LTST-T680TGWT_C575517.html Not to say this LED is out of stock at Digikey. This thread should be called "did the assembler screw me over?"
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 06:09:20 am by wraper »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 02:16:37 pm »
Yes they replied and used another part.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf