Author Topic: Need to dissolve epoxy potting in ignition coil.  (Read 16052 times)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Need to dissolve epoxy potting in ignition coil.
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 01:21:00 am »
Sonata, 2011 model year onwards. Its 35 MPG highway rating was, at the time, considered really good for a midsize car without hybrid technology.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline electronupdate

• Regular Contributor
Re: Need to dissolve epoxy potting in ignition coil.
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 12:56:36 pm »
I have a General Motors LSx ignition coil (has a potted coil driver cct inside) and I need to find out the just exactly what this circuit inside is. I have looked into what is involved in dissolving the epoxy but the chemicals needed  sound hazardous. Can anyone tell me of a company that could do this for me? Preferably Australia but United States is also okay; have a contact over there.

P.S. Don't anybody say just use a MC3334. They are not suitable.
I have been building ignitions for 37 years.

Most epoxies that I am familiar with have a "glass transition temperature"... if you heat them up enough the epoxy can be peeled away with a dental pick.  It's not particularly pleasant work and a fume hood and organic vapor filters are needed. Most chemical's that dissolve the potting compound would also attack and destroy any  circuit boards as they are also epoxy based.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf