Author Topic: Challenge Thread: The fastest breadboard oscillator on the mudball  (Read 65458 times)

Offline BreakingOhmsLawTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
Re: Challenge Thread: The fastest breadboard oscillator on the mudball
« Reply #275 on: June 26, 2020, 07:42:27 am »

That is total chaos! I built the circuit with 3 x BC547c and wow! I have to raise the supply from 4V to about 4.8V before the world turns crazy but then the reward is big.
Also checked on the SA, there the baseline just rises well up to 200MHz.
That would make a nice source for a fairly random RNG.
I've tried reproducing the noise source from 'The Art of Electronics' where they use the parasitic Zener in a BJT but it would not work very well. I am guessing it needs to be a specific make and model of that BJT. Transistors may be built up in a completely different way depending on manufacturer and year of production, as Richi demonstrates on his great website:

https://www.richis-lab.de/2N3055.htm

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #276 on: June 26, 2020, 07:53:33 am »
there is another danger in using a transistor as a zener replacement: they are not designed for that and start to age / degrade quickly.
what was a nice hardware RNG, might turn - unnoticed - into a non-random something. there is a paper about it:

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #277 on: June 26, 2020, 12:04:43 pm »
yes, interesting, isnt it ?

and by intuition i guess that this oscillator - though it needs more parts - has a much higher output power than the single transistor designs. what do you think ?

It is possible, but it would just be a guess.   There is more gain in the circuit overall so the amplitude might be higher, but other factors could cancel that out.  Build and test!  :D

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #278 on: June 26, 2020, 12:09:14 pm »
there is another danger in using a transistor as a zener replacement: they are not designed for that and start to age / degrade quickly.
what was a nice hardware RNG, might turn - unnoticed - into a non-random something. there is a paper about it:

I recently took apart a piece of equipment that used a matched pair of MAT-01 transistors (two matched NPN transistors in a metal can) mounted in a solid block of aluminum to stabilize the temperature, where one of them was used as a zener.  The equipment was probably 30 years old but unlikely to have been in constant operation - but it had definitely seen many hours of use.

Just for fun, I decided to measure the gain of the two transistors.   The one that had operated in zener mode had a gain that was less than 1/3 of its "partner" transistor...   so yes,  the "destructive effect" is real and easily measurable.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:13:19 pm by SilverSolder »

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #279 on: June 27, 2020, 11:46:24 am »
you can simplify the multivibrator oscillator quite a bit: you dont need to feed the coil from the middle, and you dont need the coupling capacitors.

this is called the "Ruck-Zuck Oszillator" published by german ham operator Eugen Berberich in Funkamateur 10/2005. It is actually a VCO that works over wide frequency ranges by simply changing the supply voltage.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:34:53 pm by herc »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: June 27, 2020, 12:10:25 pm »
you can simplify the multivibrator oscillator quite a bit: you dont need to feed the coil from the middle, and you dont need the coupling capacitors.

this is called the "Ruck-Zuck Oszillator" published by german ham operator Eugen Berberich in Funkamateur 10/2005. It is actually a VCO that works over wide frequency ranges by simply changing the supply voltage.

(Attachment Link)

That looks like a fun little circuit.  What does "ruck-zuck" translate to in English?

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #281 on: June 27, 2020, 12:36:18 pm »
"Ruck-Zuck" means "very quick" , "in a jiffy", "in no time (at all)"

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #282 on: June 27, 2020, 02:39:31 pm »
it was really Ruck-Zuck !
seems to have a lot of harmonics ...

small loop: around 500 Mhz, rather strong harmonics > 1.5 GHz
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 03:49:36 pm by herc »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: June 27, 2020, 03:13:59 pm »

Yes it looks like it is making square waves, LOL! 

The following users thanked this post: herc

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #284 on: June 27, 2020, 03:18:40 pm »

(Attachment Link)
Feed the coil from the middle with a current limited supply and you won't need the resistors. I remember reading about that variant of the circuit (plus a reverse diode for protection) operating in the FM band as a simple phone line tap that connected in series with the line.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, herc

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #285 on: June 27, 2020, 04:00:30 pm »
with a shortcut instead of a loop, the frequency shot up to 1.2 GHz :)

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #286 on: June 27, 2020, 05:08:59 pm »
I finally received my 38 awg magnet wire and some rather high speed parts from digikey...I'll be experimenting and getting back in the game soon.  :-DMM

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #287 on: June 27, 2020, 08:19:07 pm »
with a shortcut instead of a loop, the frequency shot up to 1.2 GHz :)

8)

What transistors are you using for this?

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #288 on: June 27, 2020, 09:04:10 pm »
those transistors are BFR 93A from NXP ( 6 GHz) :  https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/BFR93A.pdf

i wonder how far up the harmonics can go ?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:08:45 pm by herc »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #289 on: June 27, 2020, 09:41:20 pm »
I finally received my 38 awg magnet wire and some rather high speed parts from digikey...I'll be experimenting and getting back in the game soon.  :-DMM

Nevermind. The parts are too small for me to solder. Already ruined 5 transistors. Lucky they were dirt cheap. :palm:

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2020, 07:55:11 am »
Nevermind. The parts are too small for me to solder. Already ruined 5 transistors. Lucky they were dirt cheap. :palm:
what did you order ? what size are they ?
i found SOT23 with 1.9mm pin distance is probably the limit for me. i used sticky tape to somehow fix the transistor before soldering.

Offline 1uk3

• Contributor
« Reply #291 on: June 28, 2020, 11:55:25 am »

I recently had to solder magnet wire to a 40pin 0.5mm pitch IC (I messed up the footprint  ;))

Just tried the circuit with a pair of BC547 and can't get over 180MHz  ;D

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #292 on: June 28, 2020, 12:33:58 pm »

I recently had to solder magnet wire to a 40pin 0.5mm pitch IC (I messed up the footprint  ;))

I once managed to solder wire strands on to an 0.5mm pitch BGA package.   We need a new contest, "Dumbest and most time wasting hand soldering attempt!" :D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #293 on: June 28, 2020, 09:13:08 pm »
what did you order ? what size are they ?
i found SOT23 with 1.9mm pin distance is probably the limit for me. i used sticky tape to somehow fix the transistor before soldering.

I ordered both 18 and 22 GHz RF transistors. I forget the package, but they are tiny. I was able to develop a foolproof method of getting the soldering done. The trick is you must do all the legs at the same time or you'll just be fighting the wires fall off as you heat it. These have 4 legs (two are emitters) so I carefully wrapped the magnet wire across two of them and then again after filing off the enamel. This allowed me to get them soldered all at the same time and then snip the bridge. That said, I haven't managed to get anything oscillating yet.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #294 on: June 29, 2020, 03:27:23 am »

I once managed to solder wire strands on to an 0.5mm pitch BGA package.   We need a new contest, "Dumbest and most time wasting hand soldering attempt!" :D

Suck what...? That sort of soldering is what I do for FUN...

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BreakingOhmsLawTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
« Reply #295 on: June 29, 2020, 12:05:17 pm »
mnem

If Louis Rossmann ever comes across this thread, he is going to curbstomp all of you  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #296 on: June 29, 2020, 03:16:00 pm »
another neat oscillator:

http://www.totalitaer.de/Rftechnik/mikrowellensender2.htm

(Attachment Link)

That's funny, I was just thinking if a multivibrator type circuit could be made to work at RF frequencies...   Looks like the answer is "Yes"! :)

You can use them up to 100's of GHz even, on-chip.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #297 on: June 29, 2020, 05:00:52 pm »

mnem

0.5mm BGA being soldered to an adaptor.   Would have been easier to get the right adaptor in the first place!  :D

The wires are strands of fine desoldering braid...

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:03:52 pm by SilverSolder »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #298 on: June 29, 2020, 11:22:18 pm »
While I have no reason to suspect foul play on Joes part, I ask him to provide clear images while running and showing the counter for the sake of fairness.

I believe that Joe is where he is now, because he has shown good knowledge of RF engineering and particularly how to deal with parasitics (thinning wires, shielding etc.)

That said, i have parts on order, and i know i am not the only one. First to dethrone Joe shall be known as the kingslayer from hence forth!

Looking forward to it!     

I've been enjoying this book from George Southworth.  For the few of you who are actually interested in learning something, I recommend it.
https://worldradiohistory.com/BOOKSHELF-ARH/Technology/Fourty-Years-of-Radio-Research-Southworth-1962.pdf
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:26:08 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: fpliuzzi, tautech, SilverSolder, InductorbackEMF, 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #299 on: June 30, 2020, 12:49:59 am »
   0.5mm BGA being soldered to an adaptor.   Would have been easier to get the right adaptor in the first place!  :D   The wires are strands of fine desoldering braid...

:-+   That kind of soldering I do NOT do for fun; I ONLY do it when I'm being well-paid by the hour, NOT flat-rate.  >:D

mnem
*tsssssssst...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf