Author Topic: Challenge Thread: The fastest breadboard oscillator on the mudball  (Read 62174 times)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: Challenge Thread: The fastest breadboard oscillator on the mudball
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2020, 10:52:41 pm »
Hello everybody,
At first I thought that more people would join in on the fun and take part in the challenge but sensei joeqsmith did an amazing job with his oscillator blowing my mind at firs but i was not going to quit  :box: .
So this is my entry in the challenge , ......

Maybe next week I will return with a more beefier oscilloscope and presumably a faster signal .

Nice job!  :-+   

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2020, 03:02:46 am »
Picture showing an old YIG oscillator in operation.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YIG_sphere

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2020, 05:17:27 am »
I see a piece of soldered breadboard over on the right; this looks like another qualifier. :-+

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2020, 03:54:29 pm »
The perfboard is the power supplies and current regulator for the YIG.    I don't have enough bench power supplies.  :-DD   

I had watched Ted Yapo talking about his home made oscilloscope on Ted Talks.   It looks like you can purchase an 8GHz version of it.  Assuming the breadboard has a stable signal, something like this should work fine.....
https://www.electronics-lab.com/8-ghz-sampling-oscilloscope-experiments/
...unless we want our breadboard oscillator to run faster than 8GHz.   

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2020, 12:04:57 am »
Mounting the connector to the breadboard has been a problem.  The cables will put a fair bit of stress on it.   One solution would be to bolt a bracket to the breadboard with a panel mount connector.   I made up some Teflon cables today to connect to the breadboard and DSO.  These cables are very flexible, like a wet noodle.    I also have added a couple of copper wire loops around the coax to help secure it.   

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2020, 06:27:00 am »

But if "conventional" EM waves are the subject, the line between microwaves and IR is 300GHz. How close have hobbyists been able to get to that line?

I don't fully agree that the line between microwaves (well, technically millimeter-waves at that point) and IR is 300 GHz, generally people would say that you have sub-THz first (300 GHz -> a few THz).
There are at least a few HAMs (WA1ZMS, W4WWQ, W2SZ, WA4RTS) that have done some stuff at those frequencies, 300-400 GHz. This was all with 'conventional' RF techniques (IE, no lasers or optics, but transistors and diodes and mixers).

While the numbers are impressive, it isn't that fundamentally different from RF at a few GHz. The main issue is just that *everything* matters, and you need to use waveguides or expensive very small PCB technologies.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:32:45 am by TheUnnamedNewbie »
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2020, 03:46:57 am »
Demonstrating LeCroy's Digital Bandwidth Interleaving along with my simple down converter, limitations with nail polish and my more recent attempt at making a fast oscillator on a breadboard.     

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2020, 10:31:40 am »
do you know the "twist oscillator" ? it operates in the GHz domain and  it is very intriguing, because it just needs 5 components. details can be found at this link:

http://jf.fourcadier.pagesperso-orange.fr/hyperfrequences/twist/oscill.htm

1001787-0

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2020, 03:16:09 pm »
do you know the "twist oscillator" ? it operates in the GHz domain and  it is very intriguing, because it just needs 5 components. details can be found at this link:

(Attachment Link)
I have not heard of the "twist" oscillator but the idea of using feedback has been around since the oscillator and using wire to form capacitors, inductors and delay lines is certainly nothing novel.   While it's more commonly known as a phase shift oscillator,  I guess I could call mine the double summersault oscillator with twist technology feedback.    Add a few spark plugs and claim it has something to do with free energy.  :-DD   

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2020, 04:34:51 pm »

(Attachment Link)

It's interesting! Getting ahold of the MSA08-86, which is apparently an Agilent part, may not be that easy though.
This shop seems to have it: https://dutchrfshop.nl/en/drfs-parts/73-msa08-86.html

(The whole article, in french: http://jf.fourcadier.pagesperso-orange.fr/hyperfrequences/twist/twist.htm )

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2020, 05:21:23 pm »
I would just get something common.   Here, we have Digikey who stocks many parts better than what I have shown...     

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2020, 06:25:14 pm »

(Attachment Link)
I have not heard of the "twist" oscillator but the idea of using feedback has been around since the oscillator and using wire to form capacitors, inductors and delay lines is certainly nothing novel.   While it's more commonly known as a phase shift oscillator,  I guess I could call mine the double summersault oscillator with twist technology feedback.    Add a few spark plugs and claim it has something to do with free energy.  :-DD

I'm guessing we are dealing with a literal translation from French, somewhere along the line -  what's the betting that the French word for "twist" is used similar to the English word "phase", right?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2020, 06:48:20 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I'm guessing we are dealing with a literal translation from French, somewhere along the line -  what's the betting that the French word for "twist" is used similar to the English word "phase", right?

I assumed it was from their picture of the twisted wires.   I looked it up using a French dictionary and it appears to have the same use.   We would need a French EE to chime in.   

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2020, 06:53:28 pm »
Indeed, it's related to the resonant circuit which is basically a twisted pair. "Le circuit résonant  est constitué d'une simple torsade, le "twist", dont la longueur conditionne la fréquence de fonctionnement de l'oscillateur. "

http://jf.fourcadier.pagesperso-orange.fr/hyperfrequences/twist/torsade.htm

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2020, 08:07:23 pm »
Indeed, it's related to the resonant circuit which is basically a twisted pair. "Le circuit résonant  est constitué d'une simple torsade, le "twist", dont la longueur conditionne la fréquence de fonctionnement de l'oscillateur. "

http://jf.fourcadier.pagesperso-orange.fr/hyperfrequences/twist/torsade.htm

So the "twist" is the whole LC circuit - both inductor and capacitor - in this design?   Or does it act as a "gimmick capacitor"?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2020, 08:43:58 pm »
We could put it on the VNA.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2020, 08:53:11 pm »
It's an open transmission line stub.  The first mode is a series resonance; it's a Pierce oscillator I believe.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2020, 01:04:42 am »
Playing around with the new transistors..

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Simon_RL

Offline trash

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2020, 11:21:21 am »
do you know the "twist oscillator" ? it operates in the GHz domain and  it is very intriguing, because it just needs 5 components.
I'm guessing you're just referring to the BFR93 section and not the MSA08 MMIC. Does MMIC count as an "IC"?
(Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit)  Because with a careful piece of what man magic, I can make those critters oscillate very easily.
In some cases they have issues with them oscillating a bit too often.

Looks like I'm going to have to get in on this gig because I've got some ideas that really need to be put to the bench and now I have an excuse.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2020, 12:35:11 pm »
So if I stick a 10 mW X-band Gunn diode on a soldered breadboard does that count? I do not have any solderless ones.  I know for a fact I will see a Vhf fundamental. Then big spikes in X-BAND.

IN other words does it have to be clean? Because with a spark gap you could make oscillations out to say 60 Ghz.

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2020, 12:58:56 pm »
So if I stick a 10 mW X-band Gunn diode on a soldered breadboard does that count? I do not have any solderless ones.  I know for a fact I will see a Vhf fundamental. Then big spikes in X-BAND.

IN other words does it have to be clean? Because with a spark gap you could make oscillations out to say 60 Ghz.

Steve

I was thinking the same thing (spark gap) but the challenge of filtering out and amplifying a signal up to 5V is still there...  and not exactly easy for high frequencies!

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2020, 02:35:04 pm »
22AWG solid TFE insulation swept from 2.2-2.6GHz.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2020, 02:45:16 pm »
It's an open transmission line stub.  The first mode is a series resonance; it's a Pierce oscillator I believe.

Absolutely. And it's mentioned in the article: "L'oscillateur est de type Pierce"

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2020, 03:46:06 pm »

I'm not good at interpreting Smith charts...  What does it mean, that the plot follows the circle?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2020, 09:57:47 pm »

I'm not good at interpreting Smith charts...  What does it mean, that the plot follows the circle?

That's fine.  There are several good videos and text materials available for free on-line if you are interested.   For now, let me just show you a simple test.   In the attached graph looking at S11, I have swept the twisted wires shown above from 2350 to 2450 MHz.   I then swept a small trimmer capacitor over that same range.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf