Author Topic: CCCV lead-acid battery charger  (Read 4648 times)

Offline SiddhatTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
CCCV lead-acid battery charger
« on: June 22, 2020, 07:46:18 am »
Hey guys!
I am working on a project that includes battery charging. I need to charge a lead acid battery using Constant Current Constant Voltage (CC-CV) algorithm. I've already designed a buck boost converter in order to implement the CC-CV algorithm. But after many days of research I did not find proper circuit diagram to implement the algorithm. How is such an algorithm implemented in the buck boost converter? Are there circuits to implement this algorithm or am I missing something?
Kindly appreciate your help!!

Offline bin_liu

• Contributor
Re: CCCV lead-acid battery charger
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:10:14 am »
Too few conditions.
The secondary of the flyback topology only needs one circuit composed of LM358 to charge the lead-acid battery(3 paragraphs).

The following users thanked this post: Siddhat

Offline Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 09:18:01 am »
Google for a schematics of popular CC-CV converters. For example, for such wide-popular on ebay.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 03:58:35 pm »
After days of searching and researching, google too seems like a small place!! I got the concept of CCCV but not the circuit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 04:02:39 pm by Siddhat »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 04:01:45 pm »
Too few conditions.
The secondary of the flyback topology only needs one circuit composed of LM358 to charge the lead-acid battery(3 paragraphs).
I know about feedback and PI control but do not know how to implement it since there are too many design considerations. So, looking for a even better solution to design the circuit. How can op-amps be used?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 04:06:06 pm »
https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/float-charger-circuit-for-12v-sla-battery and many more circuits in google (keyword "sla charging circuit")
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 09:34:52 pm »
For lead-acid, you only need a CV charger with current limiting. If it has to be fancy, include ambient temperature measurement for the CV part.

Offline bin_liu

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 12:53:58 am »
This is a previous project, and the accessory is a small power product, you can refer to it.
The attachment is a circuit diagram of an RCC topology, which is also applicable to the flyback topology.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 04:30:12 am »
For lead-acid, you only need a CV charger with current limiting. If it has to be fancy, include ambient temperature measurement for the CV part.

The voltage at the output of the buck-boost converter is set by the voltage of the battery. So,the current has to be controlled. For that, in the Constant Current stage, limiting the current output of the buck-boost to the initial current of the battery is a good idea but once the battery voltage rises and reaches the Constant Voltage stage, does the exponential current drop happen automatically? or, has the current be controlled in such a way that it drops exponentially when it reaches in the CV stage?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 05:09:54 am »
https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/float-charger-circuit-for-12v-sla-battery and many more circuits in google (keyword "sla charging circuit")
The circuit is explained well. When the battery is charged the relay cuts off the charging voltage, but, when the battery again discharges the relay again turns ON the charging voltage. This causes tripping of relay. Now, can a hysteresis be added to the op-amp, to overcome this?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 05:41:55 am »
The circuit is explained well. When the battery is charged the relay cuts off the charging voltage, but, when the battery again discharges the relay again turns ON the charging voltage. This causes tripping of relay. Now, can a hysteresis be added to the op-amp, to overcome this?
add resistor (maybe 10-100K ohm) from relay pin 4 to LM358 inverting input (pin 2)

The voltage at the output of the buck-boost converter is set by the voltage of the battery. So,the current has to be controlled. For that, in the Constant Current stage, limiting the current output of the buck-boost to the initial current of the battery is a good idea but once the battery voltage rises and reaches the Constant Voltage stage, does the exponential current drop happen automatically? or, has the current be controlled in such a way that it drops exponentially when it reaches in the CV stage?
the simplest current limit/control "programming" is using power resistor (maybe 1-10 ohm) on buck-boost output to battery.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 10:13:18 am »

This is correct, but "current control" is overkill. Current limiting is enough. The current will drop by itself when the charge voltage has been reached.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 03:20:13 pm »
This is a previous project, and the accessory is a small power product, you can refer to it.
The attachment is a circuit diagram of an RCC topology, which is also applicable to the flyback topology.
The jpg file doesnot open. Will you upload once more?

Offline bin_liu

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 12:35:51 am »
look here,It‘s a PDF file.

Offline trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 01:12:38 am »
Siddhat, I suggest you do more background reading on lead acid battery charging to appreciate better what is happening in the battery and how a typical charger works.  You also need to elaborate on your project, as there is no detailed information except that it is a lead acid battery.  I suggest you also get your algorithm reviewed, and perhaps even set up a simple manual charger and follow your algorithm through by manual changes.  Nobody knows what you are aiming to really do, and batteries can be hazardous when ill-treated.

Offline boB

• Frequent Contributor
    • my work www
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 01:34:14 am »

Yeah, you will need to tell us what the amp-hour rating and nominal voltage of this battery is to say how large the supply needs to be.

And, is it a flooded,  AGM, gell, or sealed lead-acid battery etc. ?

You will usually want to voltage regulate for the absorb stage after bulk charging (current limit)  is done.

K7IQ

Offline bin_liu

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 03:47:44 am »
3 stages charging is a common practice.
Before, my job was to develop chargers, i hope this would help you.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 06:26:01 am »
look here,It‘s a PDF file.
Thank you..trying to understand the circuit!!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 06:36:52 am »
Siddhat, I suggest you do more background reading on lead acid battery charging to appreciate better what is happening in the battery and how a typical charger works.  You also need to elaborate on your project, as there is no detailed information except that it is a lead acid battery.  I suggest you also get your algorithm reviewed, and perhaps even set up a simple manual charger and follow your algorithm through by manual changes.  Nobody knows what you are aiming to really do, and batteries can be hazardous when ill-treated.
Okay..I am trying to charge a 12V 7.8Ah C20 rating lead-acid battery using a buck boost converter from a solar panel that implements a MPPT algorithm. Since, I've already designed and simulated the MPPT algorithm, I now need to charge the lead-acid battery using a CCCV algorithm to ensure safe charging procedure. Yes, reading the theory on how a lead-acid battery and how a charger works is actually good to appreciate and understand what's happening acutually.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 06:44:50 am »

Yeah, you will need to tell us what the amp-hour rating and nominal voltage of this battery is to say how large the supply needs to be.

And, is it a flooded,  AGM, gell, or sealed lead-acid battery etc. ?

You will usually want to voltage regulate for the absorb stage after bulk charging (current limit)  is done.
7.8Ah, 12V sealed lead-acid battery. Yes, maintaining the voltage after the bulk stage is important to repay for the losses due to self discharge of the battery. But, what is the regulating voltage value that battery needs after the bulk charging stage?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 06:48:50 am »
3 stages charging is a common practice.
Before, my job was to develop chargers, i hope this would help you.
Yes, 3 stages charging is a common practice. It is great to learn from people who actually worked on developing chargers. That really helped me.

Offline bin_liu

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2020, 09:39:30 am »
If you want to make an MPPT controller, this microchip document may help.
“Practical Guide to Implementing Solar Panel MPPT Algorithms”
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/Appnotes/00001521A.pdf

Offline trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 12:12:23 pm »
The charging requirements for a lead acid battery always relate to what the manufacturer of the battery states - so you need to identify the manufacturer and the model of the battery you have. 

The manufacturer may provide recommended charging regimes for different use applications, and some batteries are designed specifically for PV system use, but even then the charging regime that is most appropriate may not align with the particular PV use profile that the manufacturer has designed and tested the battery against.

You may well be just using a low cost generic VRLA monobloc sold for the broad UPS market, where the battery is designed to sit at float voltage 24/7/365, and very infrequently get forced in to a high rate discharge followed by a current limited return to float level.  That type of battery was not specifically designed for typical PV type charge and load profiles (where the load profile can encompass a wide range of uses).

So I suggest you start by linking to the manufacturers recommended operating instructions for the battery model you have, even if there is no comment specifically on PV applications.   Failing even a basic note from the manufacturer, the battery may have some basic charging notes printed on the casing, or the battery may have had a sales brochure.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 12:14:37 pm by trobbins »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf