Author Topic: By way of the hive mind: Not bankrupting myself on circular connectors  (Read 2067 times)

Offline RedLionTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional power dissipator
So, this is one that has me pondering for quite a while now.
For a slotcar controller project, I'd quite like it to have a detachable cable for easier transportation. The actual hand piece is separated from the controller itself, sort of like in the pictures below.
Thus, a type of connector is needed. These things tend to have a hard life, so it should be something robust. I'd also like it to have a locking mechanism, one that is ideally easy enough to operate.

Unfortunately, so far I have struck out, with every connector type I know disqualifying itself for one reason or another, as I am fairly boxed in by my design. I have a 5 conductor cable at the moment, maybe more for future features, space is also fairly limited by the handpiece, the biggest panel cutout that would realistically work is 10mm it seems.

At work, I encounter these LEMO push-pull connectors https://www.lemo.com/int_en/solutions/originals/b-indoor-keyed.html everywhere, which are awesome, so I have equipped a prototype with them. However a cable and two sockets ended up costing over 120€, which I can't possibly justify, much though I'd like to.

The other option I have tried out is TinyXLR (like thesehttps://www.thomann.de/intl/neutrik_rean_rt5_fc_b.htm), for one since I can get all the variants I need: Panel mount for the handle, PCB mount for the control box, and premade cables if I'm feeling lazy. However the locking mechanism has proven unreliable, on the Rean brand it fails after a short while, on the more expensive Amphenol brand ones it tends to get badly stuck.

I've also seen these M8 circular connectors https://www.cuidevices.com/news/press-releases/m8-connector-models-added-to-cui-devices-circular-connectors-line on some lab gear, they seem quite sturdy too and not too expensive, however I can't for the life of me find connectors without a cable on, that have more than 4 pins.

So I thought, I might brainstorm with the hive mind, since there's quite a bunch of people here and someone's bound to have come across a connector before that might work.
Feel free to throw anything at me, let's see if it sticks.
We burn money we don't have
From shareholders we don't like
To develop products we can't sell

Offline berke

• Frequent Contributor
  • F4WCO
Re: By way of the hive mind: Not bankrupting myself on circular connectors
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 05:28:30 pm »
How about Hirose connectors?  Example HR10A-7P-6P(73)  They are not outrageously expensive.
Make the cables yourself.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 06:11:27 pm »
However the locking mechanism has proven unreliable, on the Rean brand it fails after a short while, on the more expensive Amphenol brand ones it tends to get badly stuck
wonder what brand shure use for there mics ?not got one to hand to check,but they certainly deal with many years of plugging and unpluging

Offline sparkydog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 07:26:30 pm »
Wonder what brand Shure use for there mics? Not got one to hand to check,but they certainly deal with many years of plugging and unplugging...

Audio equipment is probably XLR. (Not mini XLR, just regular XLR.) Which, surprisingly, is only rated for ~1k mating cycles. If you really want durability, USB-C (or good old DIN) seems to be the way to go. 🙂 No locking mechanism on those, however.

XLR seems to come in up to 8+2 pin variants... although I counted eleven pins on the example I found, which makes me suspect there's a ground/shield pin that "doesn't count". (That one might, however, be wired in such a way that you couldn't repurpose it. On the other hand, if you were counting it in "how many pins I need", that would mean you have up to ten more to play with.)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 07:30:18 pm »
How about Hirose connectors?  Example HR10A-7P-6P(73)  They are not outrageously expensive.
Make the cables yourself.

Unfortunately no rear mounted option. Forgot to mention that, the rear of the connector is not accessible after assembling the handle clamshell.

Making the cables myself was probably the default option; I would have wished the Mini XLR was more durable than it turned out.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 07:40:28 pm »
Audio equipment is probably XLR. (Not mini XLR, just regular XLR
Both the shure sm91 and beta 98  use mini xlr's.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 07:55:41 pm »
Mini XLR is the often used on mic packs and receivers as well, so I expected it to be more sturdy as well.

The connection itself is solid fwiw, just the locking mechanism not. Maybe I ought to try a few more brands.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 08:13:24 pm »
How about cheap AliExpress connectors like M8, M12, GX-12?
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 12:06:36 am »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline Shay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2024, 02:12:27 pm »
Have a look at GX series connector from rehnotec. Great quality and a lot of sizes.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 10:14:14 am »
So far I've been a bit sceptical of cheap connectors off AliExpress for some reason, but they seem to have the largest choice by far.
I guess I'll have to just get a few different ones and get a feel for them.

Online inse

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 10:35:04 am »
Only three wires?
I would suggest 6.35mm stereo/headphone jacks

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 10:47:26 am »
Binder fabricates some subminiature circular snap in connectors.

Socket 09 9765 30 04 that mounts to cable 77 7096 0000 10004-0500 (you can also get solder plugs to diy cable)

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 03:31:02 pm »
I don't know if they're quite up to a hard life, but what about ye olde RJ-45?  Dirt cheap cables and connectors with about a 10mm square size and locking mechanism.  More than enough conductors so you could double up power and ground and be left with some to spare.

Also, how easy does it need to be to find replacements down the line?  You could go with a more expensive lemo or hirose connector if you found a bag of them new old stock and just used that supply.  Wouldn't be cheap to get additional ones or later replacements, but could get you that first batch for a pretty reasonable rate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf