Author Topic: Boost converter- dynamic output  (Read 1100 times)

Offline PurvRTopic starter

Boost converter- dynamic output
« on: September 06, 2020, 06:47:40 pm »
Hey everyone I am building a DIY speaker powered by batteries. I'm using lithium Ion battery and boosting the voltage to 12 volt using xl6009 boost converter. The amplifier is 10 watt class d amp and works form voltage range of 7 volts to 15 volts. I was wondering if the boost converter can be modified to change the output voltage according to increase in load as the volume increases, like as I increase the volume the voltage of the boost converter also increases. I think that it'll be more efficient use of the battery, as there is no need for 12 volts for lower volume and as I increase the volume the voltage also increases accordingly.
I can't seem to figure it out how to design such circuit, so I need help.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Boost converter- dynamic output
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 03:24:53 am »
It is definitely possible to do and similar to how class-H amplifiers work.

For simplicity I would peak detect the input signal and use that as the reference for the regulator which multiplies it to the final supply voltage, with a fast attack and slow decay time.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 03:42:46 am »
For simplicity I would peak detect the input signal and use that as the reference for the regulator which multiplies it to the final supply voltage, with a fast attack and slow decay time.
You'll need a pretty significant delay in the main signal path for envelope tracking to work well and the savings for such a small amplifier would be largely cancelled out by the power needed to run the logic. Adjusting the supply voltage based on volume setting works nicely. That can be done with another potentiometer on the volume control or program the microcontroller handling the volume control to also set the voltage.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 03:47:20 am »
I would think you need to additively combine the XL6009 reference level with an increment that is derived from the signal amplitude (as David Hess indicates).  That way if there is no signal then there is no change to the base level regulated output voltage (regulated for both input and output level changes).

However the XL6009 has an internal reference that you can't access, which makes your request a bit trickier to implement.  One option is to use a signal based voltage or current supply to pull down the feedback level to the XL6009, and fool it to raise the regulated DC output beyond what it does for line and load regulation control.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 04:14:59 am »

You'll need a pretty significant delay in the main signal path for envelope tracking to work well and the savings for such a small amplifier would be largely cancelled out by the power needed to run the logic.

I would just accept clipping on the first peak, with a relatively long decay time constant.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 10:54:03 am »
Hey everyone I am building a DIY speaker powered by batteries. I'm using lithium Ion battery and boosting the voltage to 12 volt using xl6009 boost converter. The amplifier is 10 watt class d amp and works form voltage range of 7 volts to 15 volts. I was wondering if the boost converter can be modified to change the output voltage according to increase in load as the volume increases, like as I increase the volume the voltage of the boost converter also increases. I think that it'll be more efficient use of the battery, as there is no need for 12 volts for lower volume and as I increase the volume the voltage also increases accordingly.
I can't seem to figure it out how to design such circuit, so I need help.
Just one question: why?

You're using a class D amplifier, which is pretty efficient at lower output volumes, even with a relatively high power supply voltage. The additional complexity of altering the supply voltage will gain you very little effiency-wise and modern class D amplifier ICs often need a fairly stable supply voltage, so it could cause instability and more distortyion.

This sort of technique greatly boosts the efficiency of a class-AB amplifier, when if forms a class H amplifier, but is makes no sense for a class D amplifier.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 01:27:58 pm »
You're using a class D amplifier, which is pretty efficient at lower output volumes, even with a relatively high power supply voltage. The additional complexity of altering the supply voltage will gain you very little effiency-wise and modern class D amplifier ICs often need a fairly stable supply voltage, so it could cause instability and more distortyion.
It does make quite a difference in quiescent power. I would say to implement it based on volume setting, with 3D printed gears to connect the extra potentiometer. That will make it easy to select a different value for the voltage control.

EDIT: You can also use noncircular gears to change the voltage vs. volume curve, but that starts getting into mathematics and mechanical engineering.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 01:36:24 pm by NiHaoMike »
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 11:50:26 pm »
It does make quite a difference in quiescent power. I would say to implement it based on volume setting, with 3D printed gears to connect the extra potentiometer. That will make it easy to select a different value for the voltage control.
Except we don't know what the amplifier part is or its operating parameters are. H-bridges (class D amps) can be more efficient at higher supply voltages, it all depends on the specifics.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 07:48:11 am »
There's also the quiescent current required by the boost converter. It might make more sense to just disable the boost converter and run directly from the batteries, at low volume settings. It could be implemented with cam and suitable switch on the volume potentiometer. The main downside is there will be a click, both from the speakers, as the supply voltage changes abruptly and obviously the switch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf