Author Topic: An interesting 3-transistor PSU from the old USSR "Radio" magazine  (Read 1223 times)

Offline ArampTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: An interesting 3-transistor PSU from the old USSR "Radio" magazine
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 08:21:34 pm »
Now it's starting to make sense. So it's working quite as expected, and as I said, if you want more current at low voltage, replace R4 with a current source of a few mA. Perhaps it could be as simple as a PNP with its base connected to the negative rail with 1MΩ or so. At this point foldback limiting will no longer work, so D7 could be removed and this should also help with starting under load.

Beware that high load current and low output voltage means lots of power dissipated in Q3 - you will need good heatsinking (or reduced input voltage). It appears that the purpose of D7 was to idiot-proof the design ;)

Thanks! I will experiment with a current source to see how it goes. The circuit designers were clearly concerned about the cost of transistors at the time (they were relatively expensive and in short supply in the USSR). D6 will still do the job by limiting current if the output is shorted. D7 was introduced as a safety measure because when transistors warm up, their hfe increases, then the output increases, and that will further heat the transistors up, which may create a runaway situation. I believe that a proper heatsink and a good headroom for the output power capacity of transistors used, along with reasonable limitation of the cutoff current will solve that problem. Again, in those times, powerful transistors were particularly expensive.

BTW, for the school power supply I ended up using a trivial datasheet design using LM317 with a current-sensing shunt. The behavior was much more predictable :) It has a pretty high output impedance and, thus, the regulation is not ideal, but nobody expects first-class performance from a crude power supply for simple lab experiments.

@PGPG, sorry for the confusion. I perceived your argument as "this is only possible with germanium transistors" and having had a working circuit on my desk, was not seeing why it can't work. :) 

Offline enut11

• Super Contributor
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
Hi Aramp
Congrats on your persistence. I ask myself 'what lesson did I learn?' No need to answer that here, that is for you only.
I do know that some of my best learnings have come from failures!
enut11
an electronics nut from wayback...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf