Author Topic: AC Rectified - DC Mosfet dimmer - Hints please  (Read 12553 times)

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: AC Rectified - DC Mosfet dimmer - Hints please
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 09:38:33 pm »
 :-// :-// :-//

I never directly answer any one persons issue directly.
Fine.

That FET is pretty dinky.
It's an industry-standard IRF730.

I'm doing 480Hz quite often.
Fine.

My gates are at least six times that capacitance.
And? That would make matters worse.

I also don't allow short pulses at either end of the duty cycle.
???

20KHz was mentioned.
Not by me.

There doesn't seem to be any practical reason to have a resistance that high.
Do the calc.

As long as you are aware.  This is for those that might consider copying parts of your circuit.
Yes. We're warned.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 10:00:23 pm by Benta »

Offline TJ232

• Frequent Contributor
  • www.esp8266-projects.org
    • ESP8266 Projects
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 10:09:16 am »
Any specific reason that you are not looking also to a more classic solution, with ZCD and Triac?

You can find a nice example here:

It has all the MAINS related funtions onboard (including phase detection, ZCD,etc), you just need to provide a VCNT voltage control to drive it. Voltage control can be provided by a DAC, PWM, even a 10k pot between Vcc and GND with the viper on VCNT input pin :)

Also on the same channel you can find a lot of AC dimmer implementation tutorials with ESP8266, Domoticz, RaspberryPI, etc .

Happy Easter!

ESP8266 Projects - www.esp8266-projects.org
MPDMv4 Dimmer Board available on Tindie: https://www.tindie.com/stores/next_evo1/

Offline bingo600Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 07:02:19 am »
Any specific reason that you are not looking also to a more classic solution, with ZCD and Triac?

Happy Easter!

I am interested in PWM'ing the dimmer , and avoid ZCD issues.

For me the "DC" dimmer is "elegant" ,  i do think i'll put in a small 12v 500mA psu , and see if i can get rid of the capasitive psu.
Just bought a few small ones.

I have seen your page(s) , nice projects. But i'd like to go with the DC version.
Happy easter to you too.

Ps: My EE friend says a 10uF/400v would be suficcient , if one goes down that route.

/Bingo
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:04:31 am by bingo600 »

Offline bingo600Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 07:05:50 am »

Happy Easter!

For me the "DC" dimmer is "elegant" ,  i do think i'll put in a small 12v 500mA psu , and see if i can get rid of the capasitive psu.

I have seen your page(s) , nice projects. But i'd like to go with the DC version.
Happy easter to you too.

Ps:
My EE friend says a 10uF/400v would be suficcient , if one goes down that route.
And that i should use a 100nF X2 after the diode bridge , to be nice to the environment.

/Bingo

Offline TJ232

• Frequent Contributor
    • ESP8266 Projects
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 04:23:31 pm »

Happy Easter!

Happy easter to you too.

Ps: My EE friend says a 10uF/400v would be suficcient , if one goes down that route.

/Bingo

Thank you :)

But what's so appealing about PWM'ing the dimmer in that way, what do you consider to be the main advantage of it?

MPDMv4 Dimmer Board available on Tindie: https://www.tindie.com/stores/next_evo1/

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 08:09:55 am »

Happy Easter!

Happy easter to you too.

/Bingo

But what's so appealing about PWM'ing the dimmer in that way, what do you consider to be the main advantage of it?
Advantage compared to what? A huge variable transformer?

Personally, I'd prefer to use good old fashioned phase control.

Offline TJ232

• Frequent Contributor
    • ESP8266 Projects
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 01:12:25 pm »

Happy Easter!

Happy easter to you too.

/Bingo

Advantage compared to what? A huge variable transformer?

Personally, I'd prefer to use good old fashioned phase control.

This was actually also my question, a more classical phase control solution with ZCD and Triac versus the DC PWM MOSFET as above.

Offline mrTheWheel

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 09:38:37 am »
@Benta,

Can you please provide me the schematic of your improvements for a AC PWM dimmer circuit?

It seems dimmable LED bulbs need PWM. I wanted to build the revised circuit (the one without the red cross) but indeed the big 400volt capacitor is not going to fit in a small enclosure so I like your idear of placing the cap. between the R4/R5.

Thanks in advance!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf