Author Topic: Idea for fast variable resistive load (0.2 - 1MHz)  (Read 3100 times)

Offline PlasmateurTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Idea for fast variable resistive load (0.2 - 1MHz)
« on: April 13, 2017, 12:30:34 am »
I have circuit I've designed which I need to test, but in order to do so I need a variable resistive load I can control with my signal generator.

This way I can vary the resistance as function of frequency.

I was considering just using a simple transistor. The load would need to vary from around 10k - 1M Ohms at a periodic frequency up 1MHz.

Is it standard practice to use a transistor for an application such as this or is there a better method?

Thanks!

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Idea for fast variable resistive load (0.2 - 1MHz)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 02:18:17 am »
the hard part is your periodic 1Mhz requirement, as this generally means the control loop needs to have a response a fair bit faster than that to keep up, if its a sine or triangle, it stands a chance, but square would be very difficult to not ring longer than the waveform,

Might i ask what resistance vs frequency pattern / curve you need to match? if its a log curve you can likely just use a RLC circuit to match it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 02:44:52 am »
the hard part is your periodic 1Mhz requirement, as this generally means the control loop needs to have a response a fair bit faster than that to keep up, if its a sine or triangle, it stands a chance, but square would be very difficult to not ring longer than the waveform,

Might i ask what resistance vs frequency pattern / curve you need to match? if its a log curve you can likely just use a RLC circuit to match it.

Thank you for the reply.

I would apply a sine wave at a particular frequency to oscillate a restive load's value.

Or I could apply a triangle as well. A square wave would not work.

Resistance would likely be logarithmic, with resistance starting out at around 10kOhm then quickly going to "infinity" over a very short time.   

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 06:05:52 am »
Willing to take your idea at face value but let's take a quick X-Y problem examination:
What are the characteristics of your signal source?
How important is it, that the load actually be resistive, and variable?
How much reactance is tolerable?

If you don't understand these questions, don't hesitate to ask... but also, don't be surprised if their answers lead to a very different solution!

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline f5r5e5d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 06:28:11 am »
what I, V? I assume gnded from the word "load" - floating 2 terminal programmable is R a bigger problem

small signal long channel fets are used as variable R, some parasitic C, only ma currents

another approach would be multiplier controlled current sink, multiplying a V from a ref R and your control signal

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 10:05:41 am »
An optocoupler might work for this.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/luna-optoelectronics/NSL-32SR2/NSL-32SR2-ND/5039808

Edit: nvm, didn't notice you want to change the resistance at up to 1MHz, not pass 1MHz through it.  These things are very slow, on the order of ms to change.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:07:48 am by bson »

Offline danmcb

• Regular Contributor
  • if it ain't bust, I didn't test it yet.
    • McBee Audio Labs
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 10:12:37 am »

Is this what you actually mean?

Do you want the resistance to vary with frequency (e.g. 10kohm at 100kHz, 20kohm at 1MHz  or whatever)?

Or do you want a resistor whose resistance can waggle about as fast as 1MHz?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 03:03:41 pm »
Willing to take your idea at face value but let's take a quick X-Y problem examination:
What are the characteristics of your signal source?
How important is it, that the load actually be resistive, and variable?
How much reactance is tolerable?

If you don't understand these questions, don't hesitate to ask... but also, don't be surprised if their answers lead to a very different solution!

Tim

I am attempting to simulate what is attached in the picture. I need to know the current across a resistor. And that current will depend on another resistor which will be the variable resistor.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 03:05:02 pm »

Is this what you actually mean?

Do you want the resistance to vary with frequency (e.g. 10kohm at 100kHz, 20kohm at 1MHz  or whatever)?

Or do you want a resistor whose resistance can waggle about as fast as 1MHz?

Sorry. I just face palmed myself. Yes I need the resistance to oscillate or waggle or ramp over a short time.

The following users thanked this post: danmcb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 03:06:58 pm »
what I, V? I assume gnded from the word "load" - floating 2 terminal programmable is R a bigger problem

small signal long channel fets are used as variable R, some parasitic C, only ma currents

another approach would be multiplier controlled current sink, multiplying a V from a ref R and your control signal

It appears the fets might be the best option for me. I only need a few mA of current

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 04:46:06 am »

It appears the fets might be the best option for me. I only need a few mA of current

How much voltage, though? Plasma suggests HV… MOSFETs don't go higher than hundreds of volts.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 12:58:39 am »

How much voltage, though? Plasma suggests HV… MOSFETs don't go higher than hundreds of volts.

It's not high voltage in the plasma for this particular regime.

The plasma's space potential is only a few volts at most. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf