Author Topic: Multiple P&P points per footprint  (Read 2709 times)

Offline WR3Topic starter

Multiple P&P points per footprint
« on: May 28, 2013, 08:19:07 pm »
Hello all,

I have a PCB project with multiple LED options on the same footprint.

Lets say i have a higher power LED with 4 pads (+ Thermal pad) and another lower power LED with 2 pads can perfectly fit the same footprint with just a bit offset to the side.
One way to get two different pick and place points would be to use MidX MidY on 4 pin LED and RefX RefY lower power LED. But what to do if i have a third option with LED placement?

Is there a way to have multiple P&P point per footprint, or even better have multiple same looking footprints that are easily replaceable with a few clicks but have different P&P points?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Niklas

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Multiple P&P points per footprint
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:27:49 am »
I haven't used it myself yet, but this sounds like "Assembly variants"
http://wiki.altium.com/display/ADOH/Managing+Design+Variation+with+Variants

Place all 3 components and control which one to populate in each variant. Each variant will have its own pick and place file.

Offline WR3Topic starter

Re: Multiple P&P points per footprint
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:11:44 pm »
Thank You

I knew about assembly variants but didn't know you can change the component case and placement too. I will have to look this assembly variants in more details then. Hope i can find what i need between all this Altium documentation and tutorials :-)

But if I must place all 3 components in pcb one on top of another and then select between them that seems like a lot of extra work... but i have to try it out first.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf