Author Topic: Instant Android Camera Translator or other reliable method, Russian – English?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

Just q quickie one!

I found an ameteur design for an 18 transistor oscilloscope in the November 1977 issue of the Russian "Radio" magazine, trouble is, apart from knowing that "B" is the same as "volts" and "cxema" means a plan or schematic, I can't make out a word of Cyrillic other than these two!

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reliable Android Russian – English camera phone translator, or suggest another means of getting Cyrillic from these articles into English?

All these magazines were scanned in "djvu" image format, so the text can't be directly copied!

Chris Williams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline mkschreder

• Contributor
You can send me the files and I can either give you a quote or just do it free of charge depending on how much work it is.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

There's always that option, but I'd like to be able to work out a method of doing it myself "on demand" as it were, so I can translate anything that I see interesting in a reasonable period of time without vast amounts of work at one go!

I did find an app that could do it directly from a phone camera, but it doesn't appear to be working any more!

Chris Williams

PS!

How reliable is OCR Software on Cyrillic? Would it be worth buying a Russian Keyboard to type the Cyrillic into Google Translate, etc?

It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline Bratster

• Regular Contributor
Why don't you get the Google translate Android app?
That can translate from pictures that you take with it or pictures that are already taken and you open with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

I tried using two versions of this and downloaded the Cyrillic/Russian language extension needed for it, but every time I took a picture of the article, all I got was a red line running back and forward but no copying of the Cyrillic or any attempt at translation occurred!

I was looking on fleabay and saw optical pen–like devices for French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, etc., but I couldn't find anything advertised for Cyrillic!

Are digital scanning translators made for Russian/Cyrillic?

I don't mind buying a reliable one as I've a big wad of Cyrillic radio mags I'd like to read!

Chris Williams

PS!

I've just bought a sheet of Cyrillic K/B stickers so if it comes to the worst–case, I can manually type the Cyrillic from Russian articles/diagrams into Translate, and then copy & paste the translated result into a new document!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:07:49 pm by Chris56000 »

Offline kt315

• Regular Contributor
Give this a try:  https://radiowiki.ru/index.php?title=%D0%A4%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%BB:%D0%A0%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BE_1977_%D0%B3._%E2%84%9611.djvu&page=61

It has text version of the article. As far as I can tell, most of the text on the schematic are either parts nominals or outdated russian part numbers.

The following users thanked this post: Chris56000

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf