Author Topic: Rust Trademark Shenanigans  (Read 857 times)

Online SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: AndyBeez

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
Re: Rust Trademark Shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 06:59:33 pm »
I still have to understand if I want to invest time with *that* language, regardless of what they want to call it  :-//
(and I still can't use it on MIPS and HPPA because I can't get clang/llvm to work there)
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Online SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 07:24:34 pm »
Depends on what your goal is and what you mean by "invest time".

I have taken a good look at it, if just to try and be objective about it and see what it could objectively bring to my table. So in that regard I did invest some time. But have I decided to do anything major with it? Nope. So, limited investment.

There's a number of reasons why I don't "buy" it, some of which I have already talked about - and this is not exactly the point of this thread anyway.

But the Rust Foundation itself, its behavior and its main members - that's something that definitely doesn't look good to me.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 08:14:45 pm »
But the Rust Foundation itself, its behavior and its main members - that's something that definitely doesn't look good to me.

yup, precisely, that's *the* point: it doesn't smell good to me either.
And we can have a taste of it from the new issue with the Rust Trademark shenanigans.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 08:52:22 pm »
Remember how crazy things went at Twitter when Sith Lord Musk took over? It seems the same kind of crazy is consuming the beanbags at rustacean central. So as I understand their proposal reads, you can write code in open source Rust, but, you are prohibited to say it's written in ®UST, or even packaged with ©ARGO?  Git on this > :bullshit:

I still have to understand if I want to invest time with *that* language, regardless of what they want to call it  :-//
(and I still can't use it on MIPS and HPPA because I can't get clang/llvm to work there)
Same. Rust dominates in the Smart Contract and Crypto Trading space. Maybe it's the lightweight runtime that keeps developers infatuated, but is anyone really making a long term career from this alt-dot-language?. I certainly gave it a good looking at in the pandemic, but realised it's just another Node, Lua, Python... Okay there are a few $500K golden-gate/golden-ticket positions for 'rust engineers'  [not corrosion metrologists?], but soon those lucky dudes could be paying back their wages in royalties (?)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 08:54:06 pm by AndyBeez »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf