Author Topic: [GNU/Linux] looking for a iotop-like program but written in pure C  (Read 3553 times)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: [GNU/Linux] looking for a iotop-like program but written in pure C
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2023, 12:51:36 am »
That's odd. Works on x86_64, I don't know much about Linux on MIPS32 though.

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2023, 01:59:21 am »
ok, checked my mount scripts, I had forgotten to uncomment this line
Code: [Select]
mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug

now /sys/kernel/debug/ is populated  ;D

meanwhile I am cooking a modern 2023 stage1-2-3-4
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2023, 02:23:52 am »
That would explain it.
So is there anything in the /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/syscalls directory?

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2023, 08:44:48 am »
CONFIG_BLOCK=y
Okay, so maybe the syscall wrapper is at fault.  What do you get if you run
    strace -e ioprio_get prog-in-post-#11
The output should start with a line looking something like
    ioprio_get(IOPRIO_WHO_PROCESS, PID)   = N (...)
with the three dots corresponding to a C preprocessor macro that reconstructs the I/O priority class and value.

If not, run
    strace prog-in-post-#11
and look at the line following
    getpid() = PID
because the next line corresponds to whatever syscall the wrapper ended up calling, and with what parameters; the exact ioprio_get line described above.

If both cases yield
    ioprio_get(IOPRIO_WHO_PROCESS, PID)   = -89 Function not implemented
then the issue is that for some kernel configuration reason, the block/ioprio.o is not linked to the kernel.  (The symbol name in the kernel ELF before compression is sys_ioprio_get with alias __se_sys_ioprio_get, if you happen to have it left over from your kernel build.)

The syscall itself is known and listed, but lacking that object in the kernel, the implementation will just return -89.
(In other words, the list of syscalls the kernel implements is only a subset of the list it knows about; the unimplemented but known ones all return -ENOSYS.)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 08:49:08 am by Nominal Animal »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2023, 10:40:36 am »
That would explain it.
So is there anything in the /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/syscalls directory?

tracing is not yet there, I think something is still missing  :-//
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 10:48:29 am by DiTBho »
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 10:47:48 am »
Okay, so maybe the syscall wrapper is at fault.  What do you get if you run
    strace -e ioprio_get prog-in-post-#11

# strace -e ioprio_get obj/showioprio
strace: invalid system call `ioprio_get'

strace obj/showioprio
execve("obj/showioprio", ["obj/showioprio"], [/* 27 vars */]) = 0
brk(0)                                  = 0x413000
old_mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x77e6e000
access("/etc/ld.so.preload", R_OK)      = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY)      = 3
fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=25936, ...}) = 0
old_mmap(NULL, 25936, PROT_READ, MAP_PRIVATE, 3, 0) = 0x77e67000
close(3)                                = 0
open("/lib/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY)        = 3
read(3, "\177ELF\1\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0\10\0\1\0\0\0004m\1\0004\0\0\0$"..., 512) = 512
lseek(3, 732, SEEK_SET)                 = 732
read(3, "\4\0\0\0\20\0\0\0\1\0\0\0GNU\0\0\0\0\0\2\0\0\0\6\0\0\0\t\0\0\0"..., 32) = 32
fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=1579724, ...}) = 0
old_mmap(NULL, 1494176, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_DENYWRITE, 3, 0) = 0x77cd1000
old_mmap(0x77e31000, 40960, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_DENYWRITE, 3, 0x160000) = 0x77e31000
old_mmap(0x77e3b000, 11424, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x77e3b000
close(3)                                = 0
old_mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x77e66000
set_thread_area(0x77e6d470)             = 0
mprotect(0x77e31000, 32768, PROT_READ)  = 0
mprotect(0x411000, 4096, PROT_READ)     = 0
mprotect(0x77e6f000, 4096, PROT_READ)   = 0
munmap(0x77e67000, 25936)               = 0
getpid()                                = 11360
syscall(0x122, 0x1, 0x2c60, 0, 0x41a030, 0x7fa34d84, 0x77e6fef0, 0x7fa34d84) = -1 ENOSYS (Function not implemented)
write(2, "11360: ioprio_get syscall failed:"..., 6011360: ioprio_get syscall failed: Function not implemented.
) = 60
exit_group(1)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2023, 11:47:34 am »
block/ioprio.c is not linked to the kernel

kernel-6.02.002-mips-next # ls  block/ioprio.o
block/ioprio.o

kernel-6.02.002-mips-next # grep sys_ioprio_get output/kernel.map
80354e4c T __se_sys_ioprio_get
80354e4c T sys_ioprio_get

block/ioprio.c was compiled, and from this (on the running board, so the kernel is responding) it seems to have been linked as well
cat /proc/kallsyms | grep ioprio_get
80354c3c T sys_ioprio_get
80354c3c T __se_sys_ioprio_get

or not?  :-//

I cannot understand why my second test reports
syscall(1) = -1 (Function not implemented)
syscall(2) = -1 (Function not implemented)
syscall(3) = -1 (Function not implemented)
syscall(4) = -1 (Function not implemented)
syscall(5) = -1 (Function not implemented)
syscall(6) = -1 (Function not implemented)
syscall(7) = -1 (Function not implemented)
syscall(8) = -1 (Function not implemented)
syscall(9) = -1 (Function not implemented)
syscall(10) = -1 (Function not implemented)
syscall(999) = -1 (Function not implemented)
none of the system calls are implemented?!? I can't believe it, because at least the filesystem syscalls work, so they are implemented and seen from userspace.

confused and perplexed :-//
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 12:21:57 pm by DiTBho »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2023, 12:08:03 pm »
syscall(0x122, 0x1, 0x2c60, 0, 0x41a030, 0x7fa34d84, 0x77e6fef0, 0x7fa34d84) = -1 ENOSYS (Function not implemented)
Okay, 0x122 = 290.

On MIPS, using the O32 calling conventions, this is the mknodat() syscall.  Using the n32 calling conventions, this is the dup3() syscall.  Using the n64 conventions, this is the pwritev() syscall.

Where ioprio_get is syscall 0x122 = 290, is on 32-bit x86.

In other words, your <sys/syscall.h> includes (<asm/unistd.h>) which is from Linux kernel configured for x86, and includes file <asm/unistd_32.h>, which contains #define __NR_ioprio_get 290.  This is absolutely wrong, because it should be 315 (MIPS o32) or 278 (MIPS n32).

Just fixing the syscall numbers does not cut it.  You have a development environment which includes kernel-provided userspace headers from 32-bit x86, to be used on MIPS32le.  It is almost certainly a bug in the glibc build, where x86 kernel userspace headers are used instead of MIPS32le kernel userspace headers.  This means that not only are the syscall numbers wrong, also the kernel structures used by applications try to use the x86 layout, while the kernel will use the MIPS32le layout; and the syscall() function provided by glibc tries to use the x86 syscall convention, obviously failing at it.  It explains all the symptoms and issues seen.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023, 12:18:40 pm »
(In case anyone else cares, if you examine my posts above, you can directly observe my problem-solving method.  I've only omitted explicitly using bootlin Elixir Linux kernel cross-referencer (keyword search in upper right) and plain ol' grep -e 'pattern' -R kernel-source-tree/ to look for kernel files referring to specific tokens or string patterns, and just link to the actual target files found.  If you compare to my other posts on any problem involving the Linux kernel, you see the exact same pattern applied there.  This is all intentional, because I'm trying to show how to solve this kind of problems, not only this exact problem; and using just this exact problem as an example.  My approach may not work, but it is the reason I construct my posts the way I do.)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2023, 12:37:02 pm »
You have a development environment which includes kernel-provided userspace headers from 32-bit x86, to be used on MIPS32le.  It is almost certainly a bug in the glibc build

ok, now I have to understand if
- it's a bug of sys-libs/glibc ebuild?
- it's a bug of portage (glibc ebuilds need special support)?
- it's a bug of Catalyst, emerging stage1:sys-libs/glibc (profile bug?)?
- it's a bug of the builder compiling the kernel, and preparing kernel-headers accordingly (profile bug?)?

for sure
1) mipsle profiles are ALL broken since 2015
2) mips2le profiles are ***compatible*** with mips32le but with less performance because less optimized

considering all of this, I will prepare a mips2le branch in parallel, just to see, how it goes ...  :-//

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2023, 12:44:55 pm »
For sure:
- Kernel headers are massively used when recompiling system libc.
- Kernel headers are managed by Catalyst when recompiling an existing libc to something newer
- Silent failures can cause system libc to not make use of newer features present in the updated kernel headers
- or ... something even worse, since it's an x86 machine cross-compiling for mips

That's why people say native-compiling (even in a Qemu/MIPS sandbox(1)) is safer ...  :-//

(1) that's Gentoo way, always native compiling
Whereas, since Qemu/MIPS is slower on a Mac-Mini-i2, I am using an experimental cross-Catalyst engine.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2023, 01:21:55 pm »
You have a development environment which includes kernel-provided userspace headers from 32-bit x86, to be used on MIPS32le.  It is almost certainly a bug in the glibc build
ok, now I have to understand if [...]
The problem occurs just before the point that your build machinery runs in the kernel source tree
    make mrproper
    make headers_install
or
    make mrproper
    make headers
followed by copying the header files from ./usr/include/ to /usr/include/.

That is done before glibc is built, because you cannot build glibc without the files that generates.  Whether it is a separate pass/task before glibc is built, or done as part of the glibc build, I do not know.  But it does sound like a bug in Catalyst to me, so that's where I'd start the search.

The problem is that instead of a plain make mrproper, you actually want to start with pristine kernel source tree with the oldest kernel you want to support, and run
    make mrproper
    cp -f .config-for-the-kernel .config
    make oldconfig
    make headers
    find usr/include/ -type f ! -name '*.h' -delete
and finally install files from ./usr/include/ to /usr/include/.  All should be owned by root:root, with directory mode 0755 (drwxr-xr-x) and file mode 0644 (-rw-r--r--).
The .config-for-the-kernel should be configured for the exact target architecture.  Right now, your build machinery uses defaults, which causes it to default to x86, or possibly a .config that configures to x86.  Since you already have a working kernel, I'd use that .config.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 01:24:21 pm by Nominal Animal »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2023, 02:10:55 pm »
The kernel is not built by Catalyst, it's built by mybuilder, which is a classic cross-compiler environment based on this:
macmini-intel kernel-6.02.002-mips-next # cat output/kernel.build.cmd
make  ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu-
(this is the actual command passed to compile the kernel)

Catalysts builds the rootfs, recycling a working rootfs, on the top of which re-compiles everything, from glibc, to gcc, to the rest.

So, I think ... if the kernel is not correctly built, then it's a Linux/MIPS bug.

I will try the new stage3/2023-02 as soon as its cooking is completed.
It will take 95 hours.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2023, 02:18:57 pm »
wait, do you mean the sys-lib/glibc ebuild needs to see the kernel source in order to compiler properly?

in this case, my old 2008 ebuilds do not check for the /usr/src/linux folder, which is where the kernel source should be  :-//

(in this case, it would be ebuild bug)

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2023, 02:32:17 pm »
The kernel is not built by Catalyst
This has nothing to do with building the kernel.

This has everything to do with installing the userspace headers that are required to build glibc.

These headers are generated by running make headers in a suitably configured kernel tree.
This kernel tree can be (and usually is) a different version than the kernel you will eventually run.
These headers expose the kernel-userspace ABI.

Catalysts builds [...] glibc [..] gcc
Then the bug is in Catalyst.

Chapters 4 and 5 in the Linux From Scratch book are useful, because they show the exact commands how this is done "by hand"; specifically Chapter 5.4. Linux API Headers.

There is also Cross-Compiled Linux From Scratch, but it is "stale"; however, there is a specific guide for 32-bit MIPS based on gcc-4.8.3 and linux-3.14.21, which probably contains most if not all the quirks you need to care about in this kind of cross build to MIPS32.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 02:34:09 pm by Nominal Animal »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2023, 03:34:17 pm »
that's what sys-kernel/linux-headers should be supposed to do as requirement of sys-libs/glibc
2023-03-12--18-16---2023-03-12--18-40 - [ sys-kernel/linux-headers ] - success - @2.18/4.1.2
but it somehow fails on a cross-compiling environment.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 03:55:08 pm by DiTBho »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2023, 04:58:17 pm »
wait, do you mean the sys-lib/glibc ebuild needs to see the kernel source in order to compiler properly?
No, it does not.

I am saying that there is a step before glibc is compiled, where the kernel-userspace API and ABI headers are copied to /usr/include/.  This does use Linux kernel sources, but does not build a kernel.

that's what sys-kernel/linux-headers should be supposed to do as requirement of sys-libs/glibc [...] but it somehow fails on a cross-compiling environment.
If you are using gentoo sys-kernel/linux-headers rip-headers.sh, it would explain the problem: it does not configure the kernel, so the headers it extracts are for the default (x86-64) arch.

I took a look at the Linux kernel documentation, exporting kernel headers to userspace, to refrash my addled mind.  Oh! No need to mess with .config; setting ARCH suffices.
So, starting at the rm -rf ${dst}, the rip-headers.sh should do just
    rm -rf ${dst} ${dst}.tar.xz
    mkdir ${dst}
    absdst=$(realpath ${dst})
    (cd ${src} && make ARCH=mips INSTALL_HDR_PATH=${absdst} headers_install)
Then, everything under ${dst}/include/ is (archived to be) copied to /usr/include/; I believe
    tar -cJv ${dst}.tar.xz -C ${dst} include/ && rm -rf ${dst}
should do the trick.  Finally, revert the kernel tree back to pristine state,
    (cd ${src} && make mrproper)

That would generate a tarball with include/, include/asm, include/asm/unistd.h, and so on.  If you need the tarball paths to be usr/include/, use
    rm -rf ${dst} ${dst}.tar.xz
    mkdir ${dst}
    absdst=$(realpath ${dst})
    (cd ${src} && make ARCH=mips INSTALL_HDR_PATH=${absdst} headers_install)
    mkdir ${dst}/usr
    mv ${dst}/include ${dst}/usr/
    tar -cJv ${dst}.tar.xz -C ${dst} usr/ && rm -rf ${dst}
    (cd ${src} && make mrproper)
instead.

Because the kernel-userspace ABI is stable, you can use the absolutely latest possible kernel that supports the arch for this, even if you compile and install a different, even patched, kernel.

So, there is no need to even play with kernel configs, as setting ARCH suffices.  It generates no symlinks or additional files, so no cleanup is needed either.
That installs all three calling conventions (o32, n32, n64), which are selectable in userspace at run time, I believe; at least the syscall numbers do not overlap.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 05:10:01 pm by Nominal Animal »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2023, 06:18:18 pm »
If you are using gentoo sys-kernel/linux-headers rip-headers.sh, it would explain the problem: it does not configure the kernel, so the headers it extracts are for the default (x86-64) arch.

Yup, that one.

Now we know it was bad idea (d'oh)

Note Catalyst has been designed to native-compile, so inside a Qemu/MIPS.LE it would have worked perfectly.
What I am doing is Cross-Compiling, so .. I am (ab)using its design.

We can't blame Gentoo, it's my fault.

p.s.
applied your method to a new generation of scripts to cook the new 2023 stage{1,2,3,4} MIPS2/le,O32
with
- sys-libs/glibc-2.34
- sys-kernel/linux-headers-6.2
(supporting the kernel 6.0.2)

p.s.2
I split the new rootfs into parts and recruited a squad of five Mac-Mini-intelCoreDuo2 (with 2Gbyte of ram each!!!), stacked on the top of the other and compiling together for world domination, or something like that  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2023, 01:38:13 pm »
new first cooked (temporary) stage4

gcc showprio.c -o showioprio
# ./showioprio
477: Best-effort 4 (default)

#define  _GNU_SOURCE
#define  _POSIX_C_SOURCE    200809L
#define  _BSD_SOURCE
#define  _SVID_SOURCE
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/syscall.h>
#include <sys/resource.h>
#include <linux/sched.h>
#include <sched.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int report
(
    pid_t p
)
{
    errno = 0;

long val = syscall(SYS_ioprio_get, /*IOPRIO_WHO_PROCESS*/ 1, (int) p);
    if (errno)
    {
        if (errno == ESRCH)
        {
            fprintf(stderr, "%d: No such process.\n", (int) p);
            return 0;
        }
        else
        {
            fprintf(stderr, "%d: ioprio_get syscall failed: %s.\n", (int) p, strerror(errno));
            return -1;
        }
    }

long c = val >> 13;
    if (c == 0)
    {
        errno = 0;

int n = getpriority(PRIO_PROCESS, p);
        if (errno)
        {
            fprintf(stderr, "%d: getpriority() failed: %s.\n", (int) p, strerror(errno));
            return -1;
        }
        if (n < -20 || n > 19)
        {
            fprintf(stderr, "%d: getpriority() returned an invalid scheduling priority, %d.\n", (int) p, n);
            return -1;
        }
        int v = (n + 20) / 5;   /* Specified as the mapping between scheduling priority and IO priority */

int s = sched_getscheduler(p);
        switch (s & 0x3FFFFFFF)
        {
        case -1:
            fprintf(stderr, "%d: sched_getscheduler() failed: %s.\n", (int) p, strerror(errno));
            return -1;

case SCHED_FIFO:
        case SCHED_RR:
        case SCHED_DEADLINE:
            printf("%d: Realtime %d (default)\n", (int) p, v);
            break;

case SCHED_IDLE:
            printf("%d: Idle %d (default)\n", (int) p, v);
            break;

default:
            printf("%d: Best-effort %d (default)\n", (int) p, v);
            break;
        }
        fflush(stdout);
        return 0;
    }
    else
    {
        int v = val & 0x1FFF;

if (v < 0 || v > 7)
        {
            printf("%d: Unknown ioprio 0x%lx\n", (int) p, (unsigned long) val);
            fflush(stdout);
            return -1;
        }

switch (c)
        {
        case 1:  printf("%d: Realtime %d\n", (int) p, v);
            break;
        case 2:  printf("%d: Best-effort %d\n", (int) p, v);
            break;
        case 3:  printf("%d: Idle %d\n", (int) p, v);
            break;
        default: fprintf(stderr, "%d: Unknown ioprio 0x%lx\n", (int) p, (unsigned long) val);
            return -1;
        }

fflush(stdout);
        return 0;
    }
}

int parse_pid
(
    char *src,
    pid_t *to
)
{
    char *end;
    long val;

if (!src || !*src)
    {
        return errno = EINVAL;
    }

errno = 0;
    end   = src;
    val   = strtol(src, (char * *) (&end), 0);
    if (errno)
    {
        return errno;
    }
    if (src == end || *end || (long) ((pid_t) val) != val)
    {
        return errno = EINVAL;
    }

if (to)
    {
        *to = (pid_t) val;
    }

return 0;
}

int main
(
    int argc,
    char *argv[]
)
{
    pid_t p;
    int   arg;

if (argc == 2 && (!strcmp(argv[1], "-h") || !strcmp(argv[1], "--help")))
    {
        fprintf(stderr, "\n");
        fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s -h | --help\n", argv[0]);
        fprintf(stderr, "       %s PID [ PID ... ]\n", argv[0]);
        fprintf(stderr, "\n");
        fprintf(stderr, "This reports the IO class and priority for the specified process or processes.\n");
        fprintf(stderr, "\n");
    }

if (argc < 2)
    {
        if (report(getpid()))
        {
            return EXIT_FAILURE;
        }
        return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }

for (arg = 1; arg < argc; arg++)
    {
        if (parse_pid(argv[arg], &p) || p < 1)
        {
            fprintf(stderr, "%s: Invalid process ID: %s.\n", argv[arg], strerror(errno));
            return EXIT_FAILURE;
        }
        if (report(p))
        {
            return EXIT_FAILURE;
        }
        fflush(stdout);
    }

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

it doesn't look bad.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard, Nominal Animal

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf