Author Topic: Hantek DSO1202b or OWON SDS7102  (Read 18112 times)

Online trevwhiteTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hantek DSO1202b or OWON SDS7102
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:48:15 pm »
Hi all.

I was looking for a portable scope and came across the Hantek DSO1202b. I then found the SDS7102 which is a normal digital scope but with a nice large screen and optional battery pack. I quite like the look of the OWON but then I like all the multimeter features of the Hantek. I really am not sure if the large screen is really the killer feature or not. Anyone used the Hantek and got some comments on the screen? Anyone used both and got any comments?

Thanks

Trev

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Hantek DSO1202b or OWON SDS7102
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 07:08:02 am »
Hi all.

I was looking for a portable scope and came across the Hantek DSO1202b. I then found the SDS7102 which is a normal digital scope but with a nice large screen and optional battery pack. I quite like the look of the OWON but then I like all the multimeter features of the Hantek. I really am not sure if the large screen is really the killer feature or not. Anyone used the Hantek and got some comments on the screen? Anyone used both and got any comments?

Thanks

Trev

What multimeter features Hantek have?
In practice Owon and Hantek have same multimeter features. If count how many features then you can count Hantek have more. Hantek measurements display is litllebit better or is it.
But Owon is more accurate (littlebit) becouse Hantek suffer bad ADC characteristics. Hantek User Interface is better but also there are things that someone like apple and someone like orange.

DSO5202B do not give anything better than DSO5102B. Just same exept after 4ns/div you get 2ns/div but not anything real, only just zoomed in exactly same pixels. And full speed capture memory is just 4k. Owon have 10M. 
Hantek is 1Gs/s only settings 8ns to 2ns/div. Owon is 1Gs/s after 500us continuing to 2ns/div. And remember, all numbers what scope measure. They come from ADC data what is 8 bit (but not all bits are fully meaningfull). Owon ADC is more accurate than Hantek. So also measurements are more accurate.
Hantek UI have more features than Owon.
Noname special good audio amplifier have only one knob and on/off. Noname bullshit "thousend hongkong lights" have nearly 50 knobs and buttons. But other you can listen pure voice... and with this bullshit you can loose your time with adjusting all entertainment fun features. Oscilloscope is for analyzing signal.
What we analyze if we have produced garbage data.  Remember always that you do not measure real... you measure ADC produced more or less accurate data. And if compare this oscilloscope heart ADC. There is no competition. No need. Hantek ADC is far behind OWON. What it helps if then Hantek have more numbers of automatic measurements. How many of these features you use. Mostly used normal automatic measurements are implemeted in Owon and Hantek. Hantek have some single measurements more. 
Also both have separate frequency counter. (trig counter)
Today only advantage in Hnatek is (littlebit more features and better made UI) and faster waveforms update rate to display IF use 4k memory. There it have littlebit DPO features. But just after you go to more than 4k memory... it all advantage have gone.
Where need more memory.

I can make question, do you really normally use your scope with 8, 4 or 2ns/div settings with your signal. I can quess. Not.
But do you still want as fast samplerate as can. Yes. Ok, you need more capture memory. And after you look Hantek 2 waveforms per second and Owon update faster than your eyes can see...  with same settings...  well. Someone like oranges and someone apples. I like faster sampling and better ADC. 

Owon automatic measurements. You can free select what of these you display all times on display.
Or you can call them all together just as "snapshot" in Tektronix.

Vpp,
Vmax,
Vmin,
Vtop,
Vbase,
Vamp,
Vavg,
Vrms,
Overshoot,
Preshoot,
Freq,
Period,
Rise Time,
Fall Time,
Delay A?B,
DelayA?B,
+Width,
-Width,
+Duty,
-Duty

(some these names are (littlebit badly) shortened on the display measurement window but after 30 seconds learnig you know that Vk is Cycle rms, hehe)

One time there can be maximum 8 automatic measurement on the display.
You can of course select them free and which channel you want:
Example your display may be:

and normal math

+, -, *, / ,FFT

What is missing what need?
If you need something once per year you can easy do it manual.

Here is only example. Not any thinked selections, just random for show what it is.
(Short names are littlebit bad on automatic measuremets in display window. This is becouse they have not ask any western countries peoples. China language is so different (and extremely short). One symbol in china have more information. Our letter have only around 5 bit info. And they do not know how shorten english so that people can still imagine what it means. (DLY is clear for electronics designer who working with delays..  t/div or t is better than M to tell that it means time. hehe.  If look menu and symbols with Chinese... so simple, all is ok.

Overall I do not like text font what Owon use on scope screen. But also these font things are difficult to Chinese becouse they language is so so different and powerfull. I have seen many places chinese like this font what they also use here. Why, I can not understand. This is equipment what reading ergonomy need be good. This is not office paper letter.
I hope they do some these adjustments in next FW update for better ergonomy. (some UI useability (key acrobacy) and information font (readability) Also they may minimum implement "swap" trace colors if they can not give other choices.

Note: I do not understand why my .bmp to .jpg conversion destroy colors. And if I convert to .gif it sometimes destroy some lines or other details and render some colors area badly.

So THIS display quality is NOT Owon display quality, it is irfanwiev bullshit converter. Specially it destroy red color if it is in small details as thin lines. Next bad is yellow handling. But .bmp is too big, waste of server capacity. This effect you can see left bottom corner. On Owon display you see these "balls" and there inside channel numbers. These yellow and red are exactly same tone and brightness on the real display text and captured trace... but not at all  in this converted picture. With photographs I have trust irfanwiev becouse it is simple and fast... but with this kind of pictures it is just most bad bullshit what can be. So text and trace display brightness is just same as these balls left bottom.

Read this note about picture quality before open picture.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:30:25 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:13:31 am »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I was actually talking about the Hantek handheld scope. Does Hantek use the same ADC in all its products?

The Hantek handheld has Resistance, Capacitance, Amp measurements in it as well as all the scope stuff. But the OWON has large screen and battery option.

I kinda think the OWON is the one but the Hantek does look a little bit more durable for carrying around. I think the Hantek might be a little bit trickier to use.

Thanks

Trev

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 09:33:27 am »
Yes

Owon and Hantek handheld scopes are different than tabletop scopes.
I do not cnow hantek or owon handhelds hardware.

Owon have new series handhelds. (Do not buy HDS series handhelds, there is new HDS-N series also available in soft bag not only in aluminium case (delivery cost).)

Hantek handhelds are ok in this price class.
Maybe also Owon.
HDS3102M-N is maybe nice.
Hantek DSO1102B is maybe even more nice?

BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:18:38 am »
I really like the look of the DSO1102b. Not sure what to think about the DSO8060 with its waveform generator.

But the OWON SDS7102 has a battery pack option so it can become portable but it obviously isnt design for loads of carrying around because of all the knobs on it. I think they might break if its carried around a lot.

I think the only difference on paper is the OWON has a massive screen on it but the Hantek 1102b has a amp meter, etc like a multimeter.

The Hantek can be plugged into the PC and used on the PC so the dislay option maybe not be that big dea?

Difficult decision.

Trev

Online jahonen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 08:01:21 pm »
Note: I do not understand why my .bmp to .jpg conversion destroy colors. And if I convert to .gif it sometimes destroy some lines or other details and render some colors area badly.

So THIS display quality is NOT Owon display quality, it is irfanwiev bullshit converter. Specially it destroy red color if it is in small details as thin lines. Next bad is yellow handling. But .bmp is too big, waste of server capacity. This effect you can see left bottom corner. On Owon display you see these "balls" and there inside channel numbers. These yellow and red are exactly same tone and brightness on the real display text and captured trace... but not at all  in this converted picture. With photographs I have trust irfanwiev becouse it is simple and fast... but with this kind of pictures it is just most bad bullshit what can be. So text and trace display brightness is just same as these balls left bottom.

Read this note about picture quality before open picture.

I'm sorry for the off-topic but perhaps you could try out the png format? I usually use it for the scope screenshots, lossless and well suited for "line drawing"-type of pictures.

Regards,
Janne

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 08:37:43 pm »
So THIS display quality is NOT Owon display quality, it is irfanwiev bullshit converter...With photographs I have trust irfanwiev becouse it is simple and fast
haha. you are much of technical ee guy. its the ways jpg handle hard edged graphics, its meant for photograph, not line graphics. any software jpg converter you use, if you dont care the quality setting, then you'll get this bullshit picture.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 05:53:21 am »
So THIS display quality is NOT Owon display quality, it is irfanwiev bullshit converter...With photographs I have trust irfanwiev becouse it is simple and fast
haha. you are much of technical ee guy. its the ways jpg handle hard edged graphics, its meant for photograph, not line graphics. any software jpg converter you use, if you dont care the quality setting, then you'll get this bullshit picture.

Ok, but becouse I'm not artist, I do not like 100% = 99%. (smile)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »
Has anyone had experience with the Hantek DSO handheld units?

The brilliant three part video review of the SDS7102 was excellent. Shame there isnt one about the Hanktek handhelds.

Trev

Offline Spiro

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 08:16:00 pm »
rf-loop can you make pic of Owon's fft screen of 10kHz square wave and compare it with Hantek?

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
    • Elec3i Instrumentation et automatisme
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:06:19 am »
Hantek DSO1102b/1062B are now in Elec3i stock. In feb 2012, Target net price is 549.00 EUR for DSO1102B and 509.00 EUR for DSO1062B...
All units have Li-ion 7.4V/4500mAH that can stand 5 hours device operation with continuous backlight on. ;)

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 12:25:56 pm »
Hantek DSO1102b/1062B are now in Elec3i stock.

Pascal,

are they with/without LAN?
are they true CATIII certified (fuses and protection)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 01:33:06 pm by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline ShiftRegister

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 06:27:40 pm »
Hantek DSO1102b/1062B are now in Elec3i stock.

Pascal,

are they with/without LAN?
are they true CATIII certified (fuses and protection)

x2 I'm curious about that too.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 07:47:34 pm »

Ok, but becouse I'm not artist, I do not like 100% = 99%. (smile)

Try using a format suited to the type of image..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf