Author Topic: ATTEN APS3005S teardown  (Read 23623 times)

Offline hacklordsniperTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
ATTEN APS3005S teardown
« on: October 20, 2011, 04:39:21 pm »
Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
Re: ATTEN APS3005S teardown
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 06:20:35 pm »
It's a problem of my semi-color-blind vision or all wires (E, B and C) to the output power transistors are the same color?
Funny... I did this when I was very young, and had no money for two or more reels of wire.

Apart this, I see a better-than-usual (for chinese standards) quality in this power supply.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:22:13 pm by ciccio »
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »
Wow, this looks pretty disturbing  :o
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:40:34 pm »
It doesn't look too bad, but other Chinese labels can do it better.  See this thread, and the insides of my Mastech supply.  Of course, consistent QA is anyone's guess but there are other dissections on the RCgroups forums for other models of Mastech supplies that are decent looking.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4349.0

Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:20:37 am »
It's a problem of my semi-color-blind vision or all wires (E, B and C) to the output power transistors are the same color?
Funny... I did this when I was very young, and had no money for two or more reels of wire.

Apart this, I see a better-than-usual (for chinese standards) quality in this power supply.

They are, i focused on one transistor connection because it had a cold solder joint which fell off. The tried to sand off the IC-s, but only tried because all is still visible. The PSU has a nice top frame connectors that makes it very robust compared to ones that don't have. And the fan is so loud you cant work with it. But its a nice power supply only needing few adjustments  :)

Offline peter_mcc

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:42:08 pm »
Hi

In a review on Amazon The person said this supply gives the full 30V/5A to the output for a moment when it starts up. Have you seen that happen - it sounds like a deal killer (and electronics killer) to me!

http://www.amazon.com/ATTEN-APS3005S-Regulated-Variable-Supply/dp/B0050FBSRY

peter

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 03:25:44 am »
I did not have a chance to use it yet since im rebuilding my lab, but i will test it.

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 05:47:46 am »
Hi, have you tested this power supply and would you recommend it? I'm considering buying it myself and I'd like to read your opinion first.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 11:50:42 am »
Hi, have you tested this power supply and would you recommend it? I'm considering buying it myself and I'd like to read your opinion first.

Sorry still not :(

Just as my lab was finished i did not like it and made a second overhaul. All is finished again except a bench which should arrive today but just now postponed for tuesday.

I have probably 10 teardowns ready for posting as soon it finishes. I will test the power supply for mentioned problem. But however i can say no such cheap Chinese product will be perfect quality and performance out of the box. And this Atten has too loud fan (because virtually it does not have any heatsink so they compensate), really loud! I have probably 15 fans running in the lab all the time (upc-s, pc-s and various stuff) but this one is the loudest sounding like jumbo jet!

Offline RonKZ650

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:06:29 pm »
Just for the record, I got this power supply and done some tests. First I set the output to 5vdc. Open circuit volts read 5.06v according to my meter. At turn on, still 5.06v. I hooked to a LED through a 270u resistor and the current draw was not enough to indicate on the Aten, but meter reads 11.2ma both at turn on and after. I then hooked to an old light bulb the Aten read .13A and the meter .135A. At turn on current measured .210A. I think normal for a bulb to draw more current at start up. Volts stayed right at 5v. I then set the Aten to 15v. Meter reads volts at 15.06v at both start up and after. I hooked this to a 15u resistor and the Aten indicated .92A drawn and the meter also .92A. Last I hooked up a LCDTV at 15V, Current draw was 2.81A on the Aten as well as the meter. Volts stayed right planted at 15V. Last complaint was the fan. It is not noisey on mine and only comes on when the machine is hot so not an issue. So to put it bluntly, the equipment works perfect and no worry of turn on surge. Lastly, I've been running 2.8A on the LCDTV for an hour now and the fan is not blowing hot air, so I'd say barring breakdown, this is a mighty fine buy for $80.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 03:50:30 am »
Im not sure do you have this unit but there is no thermaly controlled fan inside, its always on

Offline RonKZ650

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 05:14:43 am »
The fan is thermally controlled in mine or at least appears to be. I hooked it up for all my tests and the fan never ran until the 2.8A LCD TV test, then it ran the entire duration of that test. I disconnect the load and continue the 15v open circuit and after a couple minutes the fan stopped.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:03:15 pm »
The fan is thermally controlled in mine or at least appears to be. I hooked it up for all my tests and the fan never ran until the 2.8A LCD TV test, then it ran the entire duration of that test. I disconnect the load and continue the 15v open circuit and after a couple minutes the fan stopped.

Interesting!

Maybe its a new model? If you look at my unit the output transistors do not have almost any heatsink and this is why the fan runs all time of boeing 747 speed :)

Please share with us internal pictures so we can check it out

Offline peter_mcc

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 12:08:55 pm »
I've noticed there is now a APS3005Si model - capable of 150W vs 90W for the APS3005S.
peter

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 12:35:45 pm »
I've noticed there is now a APS3005Si model - capable of 150W vs 90W for the APS3005S.
peter

You need to love Chinese specs because that model is  cooled by "Heat Disspiation?Strong breeze refrigeration" this could indicate the fann is all the time on but luckily they included the necessary protections "Multi-defensive function circuit monitoring all kinds of dangerous working conditions?ensure the device will not be burned down. " but what is suprising is the specs:

Output Voltage?0-30V UNCAL
Output Current?0-5A UNCAL

Does the UNCAL stand for UNCALIBRATED, what?

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 05:23:44 pm »
Thank you for all the feedback, I've decided to buy this power supply. It's been a pain in the ass not to have one for too long. I'm also thinking of building a second power supply myself to get negative voltages, or at least just a simple converter to attach to this one.

Offline RonKZ650

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »
I see the difference in mine with the thermally controoled fan. They added a KSD-01F 45 degree C thermostat to the heat sync on the right side.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 08:45:35 pm »
I will open mine and see is it on my pcb, but looking the pics its not.maybe they just did not install it

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:06 pm »
I will open mine and see is it on my pcb, but looking the pics its not.maybe they just did not install it
In one of the photos in your first post (the fifth image) I see that they have shorted it with what seems a "zero ohm" resistor.

I have a similar unit (I've posted a teardown some time ago) and I modified it installing a 60 °C bimetallic thermostat in series with the fan: now the unit is silent most of the time..

Regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 05:34:28 pm »
I finaly got my unit. It's noisy as hell, I didn't expect it to be more noisy than my Rigol, but this sounds like having 747's turbine on my bench. I'm considering modding it, but I don't like the idea of loosing 2 years warranty.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 06:02:43 pm »
I finaly got my unit. It's noisy as hell, I didn't expect it to be more noisy than my Rigol, but this sounds like having 747's turbine on my bench. I'm considering modding it, but I don't like the idea of loosing 2 years warranty.

Oh really  ;D?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 06:34:29 pm »

I had a Dell computer that sounded like that. A combination of small high speed fan and restricted path for air flow. It was very annoying!

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 07:15:21 pm »
I did a small comparison to a HP DL385 server machine with all fans inserted. The server was quieter. I'm one step closer to voiding the warranty.

alm

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 07:26:07 pm »
Was the DL385 even quieter just after being turned on before its fan controller is active and when the fans are still running full speed? The DL385 fans are speed controlled, something that may not be the case in the Atten. Note that the high-speed fan may compensate for poor thermal design, so lowering or changing the air flow may reduce reliability and in the worst case even safety.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 07:16:45 am »
The Atten discussed here as 2 transistors in output stage mounted on thin aluminium sheet. They virtually have no heatsink and this is why they need a high volume of cold air blowing on them all the time. Its just how they designed it.

IT would be easy to remove that heatsink, install a quite better one and thermally control the fans and i scheduled to do this on mine for this weekend.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf