Author Topic: Transformerless 85-260V-AC to 12V-DC Power Supply  (Read 1532 times)

Offline hesam.moshiriTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
Transformerless 85-260V-AC to 12V-DC Power Supply
« on: August 29, 2024, 11:17:36 am »
Whenever you hear the transformerless (ac to dc converter without transformer) supply term, you initially imagine the capacitor-based solution: a high-voltage non-polarized capacitor in series with the mains line, a bridge rectifier, a Zener diode, and a filtering electrolytic capacitor. Such a circuit is not only unable to deliver sufficient current for many applications, it is also not a reliable solution for the industry. However, you might see such circuits in some cheap products. This design uses a different method.

CAD: Altium Designer, Altium-365
PCB Fabrication: PCBX.com
Tools: Siglent SDL1020 DC Load, Siglent SDS1104X-E Oscilloscope, VEVOR SC240M Thermal Camera

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
Re: Transformerless 85-260V-AC to 12V-DC Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2024, 10:26:15 am »
[PCB Update] AC to DC Transformerless Power Supply

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2024, 10:36:05 am »
That's nothing new.

Regarding a cap dropper you state:
it is also not a reliable solution for the industry

How did you conclude they are not reliable?

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2024, 02:41:11 pm »
How did you conclude they are not reliable?

The clearance between the bottom polygon and capacitor pins was low. I increased it to 1.8mm

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2024, 09:18:18 pm »
a high-voltage non-polarized capacitor in series with the mains line, a bridge rectifier, a Zener diode, and a filtering electrolytic capacitor. Such a circuit is not only unable to deliver sufficient current for many applications, it is also not a reliable solution for the industry

I'm referring to the bolt part of your statement.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2024, 09:58:34 pm »
Nothing wrong with a capacitive dropper psu for consumer products.
It just has to be designed and used safely.
But it is true that they are low current, under 50mA. However since the voltage is only set by a zener if you want you can have your 50mA at 48V and then have a little DCDC to get 500mA at 3.3V
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 10:01:01 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2024, 12:12:03 am »
it is also not a reliable solution for the industry
Hah! Capacitor droppers are EVERYWHERE in commercial products.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2024, 01:48:01 am »
Hah! Capacitor droppers are EVERYWHERE in commercial products.

And also industrial products. They are reliable when properly designed. That is: correct type of capacitor with proper surge and transient protection.

But what I wonder is why the OP must list the CAD and PCB supplier used for this project... As if mentioning those made any improvement to the power supply. Oh, I see, it is all about promoting your video blog and your sponsors who seem to be happy with the things you present.

I watched a few of your videos and they contain a lot of mistakes.

Offline boB

• Frequent Contributor
    • my work www
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2024, 02:04:36 am »
When I think about a transformer-less (non-isolated) converter, I normally think of a buck converter for an application like this.

Quite a range but can be done.  Probably better to use a transformer.  You could use a flyback which is not technically a transformer.

boB
« Last Edit: September 01, 2024, 02:06:07 am by boB »
K7IQ

Offline Xena E

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2024, 07:41:39 pm »
But it is true that they are low current, under 50mA. However since the voltage is only set by a zener if you want you can have your 50mA at 48V and then have a little DCDC to get 500mA at 3.3V

Why limited to 50mA ?

:popcorn:

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2024, 07:53:49 pm »
The OP is only abusing this forum for promoting his crappy video blog.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2024, 01:37:01 am »

Why limited to 50mA ?

There's no hard limit, it's more a practicality limit in most application.
Normally devices that use capacitive dropper power supplies do so because they are physical size constrained.
The higher max current you need the bigger the capacitor becomes. Once you get to around 50mA the X2 mains film capacitor is so big that you have enough room to use a different/better power supply type.

Also capacitive droppers are shit in terms of efficiency. If your circuit needs up to 50mA periodically (like for a relay) but normally only needs 1mA to run a MCU you must design your capacitive dropper so it can produce 50mA. However that means it's always drawing 50mA 24/7 whether you need it or not. Either the 50mA goes into your circuit or, if not, the remainder is all burnt off as heat in the zeners and you have to deal with the heat dissipation, which gets worse at higher currents.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 01:45:39 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Xena E

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2024, 05:10:02 am »

Why limited to 50mA ?

There's no hard limit, it's more a practicality limit in most application.
Normally devices that use capacitive dropper power supplies do so because they are physical size constrained.
The higher max current you need the bigger the capacitor becomes. Once you get to around 50mA the X2 mains film capacitor is so big that you have enough room to use a different/better power supply type.

Also capacitive droppers are shit in terms of efficiency. If your circuit needs up to 50mA periodically (like for a relay) but normally only needs 1mA to run a MCU you must design your capacitive dropper so it can produce 50mA. However that means it's always drawing 50mA 24/7 whether you need it or not. Either the 50mA goes into your circuit or, if not, the remainder is all burnt off as heat in the zeners and you have to deal with the heat dissipation, which gets worse at higher currents.

Thanks.

I just commented as I've just done one for 1 amp on a 50Hz supply! It's for an approximate constant current in a device that has to have no magnetic radiated fields: it's dopper capacitor is 15μF.

The design is customer led so inevitable it would be quirky but works it does!

Regards,
X

Online ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2024, 05:58:22 am »
When I think about a transformer-less (non-isolated) converter, I normally think of a buck converter for an application like this.

Quite a range but can be done.  Probably better to use a transformer.  You could use a flyback which is not technically a transformer.

boB
Transformers are neat way to keep duty cycle within sane value.

You can also use tapped inductor (a.k.a. autotransformer) to do that, which I guess even closer to "not a transformer" than a flyback. Depending on if you're function purist or construction purist. ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 06:00:59 am by ArdWar »

The following users thanked this post: boB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf