Poll

Should people be able to delete their own posts?

Yes
93 (55.7%)
No
74 (44.3%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Author Topic: Deleting posts  (Read 85282 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Deleting posts
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2013, 11:35:34 am »
All I can say is that I have found this thread to be very enlightening as a non mainstream forum user. I now understand many of the issues surrounding post deletion and editing. I am very pleased that Dave has decided to maintain the Status Quo as it does seem to work OK. Even my major post self deletion event in the E4 thread did not bring the sky crashing down on us and that was a VERY special case. I like the idea of deleted posts leaving a 'place marker' as one serious result of my deletions was to mess up Mike and Tauchers links to crucial posts that they had made. Those Gents had to edit their links to take account of the change in message numbers. I am sorry for that and told them so. As stated, the brain cells were asleep that evening !

If noting else, this thread has aired the topic well and will hopefully be read by many. If I had read such a thread before my actions in the E4 thread, I would have done it differently and via the moderators who could have advised me of the best course of action to achieve the required objective.

I hope that xrunner will stick around and that feathers become unruffled in time. This is normally a very friendly forum and I have seen no bullying or belittlement in this threads from Dave. When polarised views collide, there will always be some sparks but I feel confident that no malice is intended in this case by either party.

Party On Dudes and be excellent to each other  ;D
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Terabyte2007

• Frequent Contributor
  • It is purpose that created us... That defines us..
« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2013, 02:23:24 pm »
I feel you should be able to edit or delete your posts for a short period of time. There are times when you make a technical mistake or mis-quote someone else only to realize after posting you made the mistake. I think a fair time period would be maybe an hour, after that it becomes the permanent record.
Eric Haney, MCSE, EE, DMC-D
Electronics Designer, Prototype Builder

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2013, 05:02:59 pm »
heres a hint to all of those bitcing about post deletion.

if someone says something that you really want to hold them to, simply hit the "quote" button when you reply. they can edit the shit out of their posts, but will never be able to edit their quoted post from your reply (unless they have mod/admin permissions)

problem solved.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2013, 05:04:17 pm »
heres a hint to all of those bitcing about post deletion.

if someone says something that you really want to hold them to, simply hit the "quote" button when you reply. they can edit the shit out of their posts, but will never be able to edit their quoted post from your reply (unless they have mod/admin permissions)

problem solved.

You mean the community can regulate itself? Shocking idea.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2013, 05:15:22 pm »

problem solved.

You do realize of course that if I quote a member, that I can modify whatever text is in the quote? I can change it to suit what ever I want to make you appear to have said. So now you see the problem. If you quote text from member A, and they later modify it, and another member modifies the quote too, who's to say what was really said in the first place? If members are editing their posts with no time frame and anywhere they want to, it will be a very confusing and messy place.

Bad idea.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2013, 05:23:54 pm »

Newsflash - it doesn't regulate itself now. Haven't you ever observed the Global Mods here locking posts and other actions? You live in a dream world.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2013, 05:26:53 pm »

Newsflash - it doesn't regulate itself now. Haven't you ever observed the Global Mods here locking posts and other actions? You live in a dream world.

*sigh*

I don't live in a dream world, I've run and moderated forums for years. Take the ad hominem somewhere else.

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2013, 05:28:36 pm »

problem solved.

You do realize of course that if I quote a member, that I can modify whatever text is in the quote? I can change it to suit what ever I want to make you appear to have said. So now you see the problem. If you quote text from member A, and they later modify it, and another member modifies the quote too, who's to say what was really said in the first place? If members are editing their posts with no time frame and anywhere they want to, it will be a very confusing and messy place.

Bad idea.

its still there as a matter of record. and how about this- if your that worried about someone changing your quote and making it look like you said something you didnt, then dont be a little fucking bitch going around deleting your posts. again, problem solved.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2013, 05:29:03 pm »
I don't live in a dream world, ...

Yes you do if you believe this forum regulates itself. You said not me. It's simply not the least bit true. It's false.

Just keep clicking your ruby slippers together and repeat

"Xrunner doesn't know what he's talking about ... Xrunner doesn't know what he's talking about ..."

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2013, 05:30:01 pm »
its still there as a matter of record. ...

You clearly didn't understand what I was trying to explain, unfortunately.  :palm:

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #185 on: December 31, 2013, 05:31:10 pm »

*sigh*

I don't live in a dream world, I've run and moderated forums for years. Take the ad hominem somewhere else.

is it ad hominem? i thought it was ad hominen. so ive been spelling it wrong this whole time.

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2013, 05:31:56 pm »
its still there as a matter of record. ...

You clearly didn't understand what I was trying to explain, unfortunately.  :palm:

you clearly dont want to hear anything but yourself.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: December 31, 2013, 05:33:13 pm »

Yes you do if you believe this forum regulates itself. You said not me. It's simply not the least bit true. It's false.

It does to a degree, as does any other active forum.

"Xrunner doesn't know what he's talking about ... Xrunner doesn't know what he's talking about ..."

I know what I'm talking about. You know what you're talking about. They're two different things, and in many ways incompatible. I suggest you learn to live with the world not being shaped by your hands alone.

Now that you've aired your opinion out for quite some time, may I give you some assistance in sticking it back in its usual warm, sweaty storage location?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: December 31, 2013, 05:33:53 pm »
you clearly dont want to hear anything but yourself.

Oh I hear every person here, that's why I'm taking the time to explain what appears to be the unexplainable.  :)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #189 on: December 31, 2013, 05:34:09 pm »
Not again... :palm:

No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: December 31, 2013, 05:35:12 pm »

Xrunner has cast Monkeh as Dorothy, and Dave is clearly the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

As their principal adversary presumably xrunner is the Wicked Witch of the West?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2013, 05:38:13 pm »

It does to a degree, as does any other active forum.

And to the degree it doesn't, the moderators have to come into play. So I'm exactly right - this forum is not self regulating.

I know what I'm talking about. You know what you're talking about. They're two different things, and in many ways incompatible. I suggest you learn to live with the world not being shaped by your hands alone.

You know it's amazing - people take advice here all the time about electronics without all the huff and puff. But for some weird reason when it comes to the forum, they just won't put up with a person who has experience. I'm going to have to investigate the psychology behind that phenomenon.  :)

Now that you've aired your opinion out for quite some time, may I give you some assistance in sticking it back in its usual warm, sweaty storage location?

Oh now be nice, you know you have to set an example of how to self-regulate ...

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: December 31, 2013, 05:39:11 pm »
You know it's amazing - people take advice here all the time about electronics without all the huff and puff. But for some weird reason when it comes to the forum, they just won't put up with a person who has experience. I'm going to have to investigate the psychology behind that phenomenon.  :)

And your experience is the only valid experience?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2013, 05:39:32 pm »
... and Dave is clearly the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Perhaps, but don't you remember there was no wizard, just an old man behind a curtain who had no real power.  :)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2013, 05:42:14 pm »
And your experience is the only valid experience?

It certainly one valid experience which has many years backing it up. You are free to explain yours as well. I have no power here, nothing I say will change much, so I don't know why so many are reacting the way they are. If you don't want to read my posts then ... don't.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #195 on: December 31, 2013, 05:47:10 pm »
Quote from: Monkeh
I love you Xrunner.

Quote from: Xrunner
I love you too Monkeh

Quote from: Satan
I love you both.

Quote from: God
Both of you behave or else. 

:-DD

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: December 31, 2013, 05:51:29 pm »
... and Dave is clearly the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Perhaps, but don't you remember there was no wizard, just an old man behind a curtain who had no real power.  :)

In the book.

In real life, Dave has ultimate power over this forum, yet chooses to operate it democratically, despite the occasional obnoxious individual who thinks he should be the one making the decisions.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: December 31, 2013, 05:53:30 pm »
I love you Xrunner.

I love you too Monkeh

I love you both.

See! He's modding quotes!  :-DD

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: December 31, 2013, 05:54:11 pm »
I love you Xrunner.

I love you too Monkeh

I love you both.

Mummy, mummy,  I didn't say that!

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2013, 05:55:05 pm »
In real life, Dave has ultimate power over this forum, yet chooses to operate it democratically, despite the occasional obnoxious individual who thinks he should be the one making the decisions.

Oh bullpuckey.

All I've done is give suggestions and advice. Nobody has to read it or respond to it. So please - spare me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf