Author Topic: Blog suggestion: Getting started with Altium  (Read 6869 times)

Offline pdjhTopic starter

Blog suggestion: Getting started with Altium
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:45:18 am »
I've always used Proteus, but Altium looks far more versatile. Trouble is the interface is a bit daunting for those of us not used to it.

How about it Dave? I know, there's heaps of tutorials around, but they all seem to be task specific. or just not very good!

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: Blog suggestion: Getting started with Altium
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:55:31 am »
I think Dave made it clear in the past he won't do an Altium tutorial. Something about not being too happy with his previous employer.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:24:59 pm »
It's also not a package hobbyists can afford to buy, so providing tutorials on using it to the hobby community is a bit dodgy.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:54:29 pm »
Not a chance, sorry.
Altium missed their opportunity to get me to do videos for them when I was employed there, so I'm not going to give them content for free now.
There is no point doing tutorial videos for a commercial package that has no free version, and most people can't afford.
If they come to their senses and offer something for that market, then maybe I'll reconsider. But until then, I'm dropping Altium after having used it for over 20 years  :(

FYI BAW, I'm not unhappy with my previous employer as such, I like them and I like the product, it's just their bat-shit crazy market decisions.
Kinda like how I love America, and Americans, but hate the stupid American government decisions  ;D

Dave.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:44:24 am »
Not a chance, sorry.
Altium missed their opportunity to get me to do videos for them when I was employed there, so I'm not going to give them content for free now.
There is no point doing tutorial videos for a commercial package that has no free version, and most people can't afford.
If they come to their senses and offer something for that market, then maybe I'll reconsider. But until then, I'm dropping Altium after having used it for over 20 years  :(

Dave.

They could sue you with the reason "He isn't using our product according to our vision"...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline rubdub

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:00:41 pm »
Not a chance, sorry.

FYI BAW, I'm not unhappy with my previous employer as such, I like them and I like the product, it's just their bat-shit crazy market decisions.
Kinda like how I love America, and Americans, but hate the stupid American government decisions  ;D

Dave.

Hi Dave,

When you say you're "dropping Altium" what exactly do you mean? Given that I'm serious about developing my skill set in embedded system design, do you recommend learning Altium or Eagle?

I'm a recent college grad in mechanical engineering with a strong background in mechanical design for small scale robotics. I've been playing around with Altium and Eagle and I honestly find both packages very usable. Each have their own fair share of nuances neither of which are much of a bother. 

Thanks

PS: Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just thought it would be a good place to ask this question.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:39:43 am »
When you say you're "dropping Altium" what exactly do you mean? Given that I'm serious about developing my skill set in embedded system design, do you recommend learning Altium or Eagle?

Altium is a proper industry tool. Eagle is more hobby level. If it's for resume skills, use Altium.

I had the intention to drop Altium and use something else, but never got around to devoting the time.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:24:39 am »

Dave.

Well hell, that would make you a good American then! I think we could squeeze you in.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:48:28 am »
Well hell, that would make you a good American then! I think we could squeeze you in.

I'm probably on a terrorist watch list or something ::)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 06:39:04 pm »
Most likely, as there is a David Jones on the list. lots of bad data on those lists anyhow, no good info just a lot of hits.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 05:54:13 am »
Most likely, as there is a David Jones on the list. lots of bad data on those lists anyhow, no good info just a lot of hits.

There's been at least what a dozen or so Washington DC officials that have shown up on the no fly list. The one I remember best was Ted Kennedy.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 06:00:30 am »
Is the list publicly accessible?

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 06:03:20 am »
Typical - throw as many names and other identifying factors on as many lists as you can, and then when you decide to screw someone over for personal or political reasons, you've got your justification.

Is the list publicly accessible?

There are a number of lists, many of which are.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 06:31:18 am »
I'm not unhappy with my previous employer (Altium) as such, I like them and I like the product, it's just their bat-shit crazy market decisions.

Dave.

It's only because they won't allow American companies to sell you parts!

I'm probably on a terrorist watch list or something ::)

Well, you now know what you suspected back then is now true!
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 12:38:41 am »
I've always used Proteus, but Altium looks far more versatile. Trouble is the interface is a bit daunting for those of us not used to it.

The 1000 & 2000 pin versions of Proteus are incredible value for the powerful features it offers. It is also pretty intuitive which means it is easy to drive. I believe that Proteus have been forced to keep their pin restricted prices down as there are so many competing pcb packages around these days.

Proteus have worked out that people often start with a low priced model and as their needs grow, they move up to the next level (and you only pay the difference between the versions).

This is something that Protel/Altium have not been able to yet work out after 25 years. Talk about slow learners!

I agree, the Altium Designer menu's have become increasingly complicated as the package has offered new features.

Altium PCB will allow you to do pretty much anything you want with the layout .............. but is there anything "you want" to do that can't be done in Proteus? If there is, I haven't found it yet.

How about it Dave? I know, there's heaps of (Altium) tutorials around, but they all seem to be task specific.

Actually the Altium made videos are very good. The reason that most are task specific is because the software is powerful & offers so many features. This in itself brings about complexity that needs to be carefully explained to a new user.

Don't forget that Altium gives you many keyboard shortcuts (that often work while nesting within an existing mouse action - and this is what many other packages should try & emulate).

Many large companies use Altium Designer, so if you are listing a package on your resume you probably will need this (or at least P-Cad which is no longer supported) .............. otherwise I would stick with Proteus.

Remember, you are likely to be far more productive if you understand how 99% of your current package works, than swapping to a more powerful tool ............... but only understanding how 50% of it works.

I use Altium ver 6.9 & DipTrace for work, but 3 years ago I used Proteus while doing some work for another company ............... and I must say, I miss Proteus very much.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 02:02:24 am »
>> Blog suggestion: Getting started with Altium

And then a 'how to drive a Pagani' video please.  Just as useful for me.

;-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf