Author Topic: Implementing some digital logic in an old Bitcoin miner  (Read 2285 times)

Offline blubTopic starter

Implementing some digital logic in an old Bitcoin miner
« on: May 11, 2014, 07:44:31 am »
Well, I have watched the FPGA video, and got my hands on an old Bitcoin miner. I dont have much infos on it, but there should be four xilinx fpgas on it(seems reasonable as there are 4 heatsinks on the board). Now I want to implement some basic digital logic on it, but I do have no Idea how to start.
I dont want to learn Verilog or VHDL.
What I want is some graphical interface where I See all the programmable logic arrays and select for each one which logic element it is and which it connects to.

Any way to do this?

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
Re: Implementing some digital logic in an old Bitcoin miner
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:54:38 am »
you mean like schematic entry? it's doable but a painful way to do anything even slightly complex.

and, some of those miners are built with fpgas not covered in the free version of vivado/ise
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline blubTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:14:14 am »
yes, I think that is what I need,
yes I know its not optimal, I just want to do some designs this way because i want to.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 12:38:15 am »
You're screwed, you can't do it like you want.
Instead learn VHDL or Verilog. I think t hose miners probably have Spartan-6s on them so you need to use ISE. If you want to just play around with something, blink LEDs with an arduino. This will take a lot of time and effort to get going.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:19:29 am »
Xilinx ISE doesn't support schematic entry?

I'm glad I use Altera's Quartus II that does :)

To the OP, since it's on dedicated hardware you might find it very difficult to program it, and when or if you do, you might not have access to pins that you can designate. A dev board would have been easier than some bitcoin miner already configured to do what it does. Not impossible since it's probably flashable but  without documentation it will be almost imposible.

It would be like using a Rigol Scope as an FPGA dev board, not worth it, but if you want to share more info/pictures of the device maybe someone can point you to where to get the documentation for it.

BTW kidding about Xilinx not having an schematic editor, because of course it does.

Another thing is that you can convert Verilog/VHDL modules to schematic and use them as well provided you know what it does within the module, but it will expose the input/ouputs/inouts & buffers in schematic form. Well at least Quartus can, never used ISE.

Edit: for example this thing: http://fpgamining.com/products/x6500-rev3
even if you could program it via JTAG what could it do if you don't have access to any pins to look on what is doing?

Edit2: oh and BTW you are going to need to do a boundary scan to see what device is in there or pull the heatsinks because you will need to know the device in order to program it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:37:23 am by miguelvp »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf