Author Topic: Tiva C Series TM4C1233H6PM, new TI ARM Cortex-M4 mcu ?  (Read 7853 times)

Online BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Tiva C Series TM4C1233H6PM, new TI ARM Cortex-M4 mcu ?
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:04:20 pm »

Another new TI ARM Cortex-M4 core ? Its using the mcu with part no TM4C123GH6PM, and no reference yet at TI website.  :-//

Link for the preorder at $12.99 -> https://estore.ti.com/Tiva-C-LaunchPad.aspx

It has the same price as their Stellaris Arm M4F based Launchpad, and curious why created this new series ?

Maybe its a cheaper version as to their M4-"F" version since this doesn't have the "F" notation as in floating point hardware ?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:13:24 pm by BravoV »

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
Re: Tiva C Series TM4C1233H6PM, new TI ARM Cortex-M4 mcu ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:51:34 pm »
There's a reference to the name at the bottom of this page:
From ultra-low power MSP430™ MCUs and high-performance TMS320C2000™ real-time controllers, to Hercules™ 32-bit ARM® safety MCUs and Tiva™ ARM® Cortex™-M4F MCUs, TI offers the broadest range of embedded control products.
It's worth noting that the part number (TM4*) indicates it's not part of the Stellaris line (LM4*). I wonder if this will be part of the Hercules "safety microcontroller" family, possibly replacing the Cortex-M3-based TMS470M family?

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:58:54 am »
It's worth noting that the part number (TM4*) indicates it's not part of the Stellaris line (LM4*). I wonder if this will be part of the Hercules "safety microcontroller" family, possibly replacing the Cortex-M3-based TMS470M family?
Still a mystery, I'm guessing they are replacing the whole Stellaris LM4xxx lines with new line and new name "Tiva" ?  :o

The reason is I spotted its mentioned in the latest April 2013 Stellaris LM4F120H5QR Rev A1/A3/B0 Errata document (Here), attached the interesting screen shot below.

Also looking at the board layout, its almost identical with the Stellaris Launchpad.

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:19:05 am »
Confirmed, the Tiva is the new name and all LM4 part numbers are now replaced with TM4xx series .

Document source -> Tiva C Series ARM Cortex-M Microcontrollers ->  http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/spmt284

Looks like the brand name "Stellaris" will be gone.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:44:05 am »
Someone call the fumigators, sounds like TI have a bad infestation of marketing consultants.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 06:31:42 pm »
Looks like the brand name "Stellaris" will be gone.
Yes, I guess it is double official now: check the press release today.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline TI123

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:11:12 pm »
Hello All,

I wanted to address some of the questions posted about Stellaris. TI has introduced a new platform for ARM Cortex-M4 based MCUs called Tiva. The Tiva C Series MCUs incorporate the same great tools, software, and support that was provided with the Stellaris microcontrollers. The new part numbers and series designations set the stage for many more exciting microcontrollers that will provide customers with a consistent look and feel across TIs Cotrex-M4 portfolio. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

-Alex

Offline Eonir

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:22:49 am »
This is just another great marketing gimmick. TI just wanted to drop the Stellaris brand, and quite a lot of people got fooled into believing that something new is being offered.

There would be none of this confusion if they simply made the change earlier - before making all those tutorials and whatnot. But I guess this wave of commotion serves their purposes. Maybe some marketing guy thought that this will give them some free additional press.

Offline andyturk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 12:19:46 am »
Hello All,

I wanted to address some of the questions posted about Stellaris. TI has introduced a new platform for ARM Cortex-M4 based MCUs called Tiva. The Tiva C Series MCUs incorporate the same great tools, software, and support that was provided with the Stellaris microcontrollers. The new part numbers and series designations set the stage for many more exciting microcontrollers that will provide customers with a consistent look and feel across TIs Cotrex-M4 portfolio. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

-Alex
That's great, Alex! Any suggestions on what I should do with all the Stellaris dev boards I have sitting in a closet?

Does TI take trade-ins?

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 07:28:39 am »
Hello All,

-Alex

Alex, assuming you're from TI by looking at your reply and the nick, just a simple question, since Tiva Arm mcu production status is now "Active", when it will be available at your distributors for small amount of purchase ? Currently none of them carry it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf