Author Topic: The CH32V317 has appeared, but not much about it yet  (Read 1203 times)

Online SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
The CH32V317 has appeared, but not much about it yet
« on: July 13, 2024, 05:55:20 am »
Just saw that there was going to be a CH32V317. References of it appeared in the WCH SDK, and after looking up this ref, although I haven't found direct info on it on WCH's website, I've run into some chinese links showing the architecture.

It appears to be pretty much identical to the CH32V307, with the same peripherals (apparently) and same amount of RAM and Flash. The only difference that I could see (so far) is that it embeds a 10M/100M Ethernet PHY (instead of just 10M), which will please people using Ethernet with these chips. A bit more RAM wouldn't have hurt though...

Not sure when it's gonna be released.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
Re: The CH32V317 has appeared, but not much about it yet
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2024, 03:44:42 am »
WCH loosely follows STM's naming/numbering which could mean this is mostly the same as a 307 with hardware encryption logic.

Offline glenenglish

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF engineer. AI6UM / VK1XX . Aviation pilot. MTBr
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 08:10:06 pm »
How much RAM has it got? I couldn find any data.

I have not seen a phy on chip since TI Stellaris . That's fantastic.
Be sure to not skimp on spike/ESD/common mode rejection- the TI chip  was sensitive to EMP (from a flourescent light turning on above the bench) without impulse suppression on the interface .. was easily fixed.

WHile a few kBytes is good for basic ethernet network function with freertos+tcp,  I've found once you want to host even a basic webserver and config pages etc, and support at least a couple of users , you need room for tcp buffers/windows... I like to have a min 128kbytes for tcp buffers. for a basic udp app, much less for sure. Of course you could squeeze the packet size right down etc, limit buffers  and 16kbytes might be enough - depends on your use case I guess.
If you are just sending out  / receiving  a bt of data, you can get away with very little RAM for the network stack.

Online SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 10:48:46 pm »
You probably have missed the CH32V307, since it has been available for quite a while and does have a 10M Ethernet PHY. You'll probably need to have a look at its specs to know where the new CH32V317 comes from.
From what I've seen, it will have a 100M Ethernet PHY, but otherwise the same features, pretty much, including same amount of RAM and Flash.

I had found the base architecture here: https://file1.elecfans.com/web2/M00/F9/B5/wKgZomaLiZSAbsi9AACqEawrpJw712.jpg
(although I can't tell how authoritative this really is.)

The product still isn't listed on the official website, at least english version: https://www.wch-ic.com/products/categories/47.html?pid=5#data

But I just found a link to the chinese datasheet, which now includes the 317: https://www.wch.cn/downloads/file/355.html
I haven't bothered to automatically translate it, but from what I can see, it indeed seems to confirm that the main change is the 100M PHY, and I couldn't really see anything else different.

Again, the same with more RAM would be a winner. People have tended to find the 64K of RAM a bit tight for a TCP/IP library and typical applications, although it can be done. Note that RAM and Flash (for code) on this chip are related, and one can configure it for up to 128K of RAM, but then with only 192K of code Flash. That was the case for the 307 and everything looks like it will be identical for the 317.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 10:50:52 pm by SiliconWizard »

The following users thanked this post: glenenglish

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 11:05:38 pm »
100M PHY for CH32V307 is excessible and not need. You will need a lot of hardware features, like in routers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf