Author Topic: The Raspberry PI PICO 2, now has extra RISC-V cores  (Read 17447 times)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: The Raspberry PI PICO 2, now has extra RISC-V cores
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2024, 02:22:56 am »
People are not "whining", but discussing objective downsides to the design. Everyone knows what PIO is and how good it is, there is nothing to discuss here.

As it is right now, this MCU is fine for hobby use, but it will not be suitable for a lot of commercial designs. And the new device does not address most of those concerns.

Yep. I think it'll be fun. Probably not much more than this. The success of the RP2040 in some commercial designs was mainly due to the fact it was available during a very nasty shortage period. I know of quite a few companies that switched to it "at the last moment" just to be able to have something to put into production. The 2350 isn't coming in the same context.

I don't think we should focus on commercial uses for this, and see it more for learning/experimenting purposes, which, as far as I can tell, is the RPi's main goal. I know they need to make cash too, but clearly the design wasn't alike anything we are used to seeing in commercial devices. Which has its strong points too.

Apparently they even removed the RTC? Odd.

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2024, 03:12:24 am »
..., for the new chip the only downside I can see is they dropped the RTC but everything else has improved.

I think they dropped the 32kHz Xtal option.

The manual says you can still connect a external CMOS 32kHz - a few vendors have those now, with choices of uA and ppm.

12.10.5.2. Using an External Clock in Place of LPOSC
If LPOSC is not sufficiently accurate, an external 32.768kHz clock can be used. This will be multiplexed onto the internal
low-power clock and will therefore drive all components that are driven by that clock, including the power sequencer
components.

and you can also feed in a 1Hz tick to snap the on-chip OSC to 32768 counts per second. ( I doubt that works on external 32Khz)

The following features use a GPIO as a clock or a tick:
• external 32kHz clock source
• external 1kHz tick
• external 1Hz tick

An example of higher crystal divided 32kHz oscillators - these give higher Icc ( < 90uA) but faster start times (5ms) and better tempco than tuning fork crystals.
https://www.lcsc.com/datasheet/lcsc_datasheet_2406051009_Shenzhen-SCTF-Elec-SX1M32-768KM10F30TNN_C2901615.pdf

or for a bit more money, you can get a DTCXO, for uA region Icc and low digit PPM - ie a lot better than a tuning fork.

https://www.lcsc.com/datasheet/lcsc_datasheet_2109101130_Seiko-Epson-TG-3541CE-32-7680KXA3_C1987384.pdf

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2024, 03:24:18 am »
I don't think we should focus on commercial uses for this, and see it more for learning/experimenting purposes
Well, they provide explicit supply commitments with substantially long times. Hobby and educational uses will typically move to the newest available chip with relative ease. The only people that care about 10+ year availability are commercial customers.

And they provided the same long commitments for RP2040. If this MCU is functional at basically the same price, then all hobby projects would just more to it. Yet they committed to making RP2040 (and Pico board itself) for a long time.
Alex

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2024, 03:26:54 am »
The custom Abracon inductor 3.3uH 1.5A is because the shielding is critical, stray flux caused a lot of problems apparently, and inductance roll-off with current is a problem too. (6.3.8.3)

RP2040 GPSDO using magical unicorn PIO and many hoops with DMA, I'm not sure but it seems dependent on CPU intervention to count pulses... average that latency out. Not real time. https://rjk.codes/post/building-a-frequency-counter

The directors sold a lot of stock. Mike Buffham - Chief Commercial Officer sold over 120,000 shares worth £500,000. I'm sure he believes in the company lol.
"... the company says that 72% of its unit sales target the industrial market, where it is used, for example, in factories." ARM and Sony did buy in.

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2024, 04:10:16 am »
RP2040 GPSDO using magical unicorn PIO and many hoops with DMA, I'm not sure but it seems dependent on CPU intervention to count pulses... average that latency out. Not real time. https://rjk.codes/post/building-a-frequency-counter
That looks to have multiple versions, some with Sw interactiuons.

This code looks to be all in PIO, using 3 state engines, which I think has maxed out the code size.
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=306250

I think this needs a GPIO pin as GATE semaphore ?  Not sure if that can be avoided ?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 05:45:20 am by PCB.Wiz »

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2024, 09:53:33 am »
I think the dual ARM and RV has not been a good decision..
99% of the mainstream pico users do not care, they want to run their programs architecture regardless (see for example above the testing approach of the mysterious 2350 tester when he did not mess with the RV either).
If they want to continue with RV in the future, they need to port the ecosystem to RV. This means Mciropython, Circuitpython, RTOSes, and any other resources need to work with RV. If you only have developer chips, that's a chicken and egg problem, since as you said, most people are not interested, so no work would be done on the RV ports.. This way they can ship eggs together with the chicken, so hopefully hackers will start using it, and porting.
And since the peripherals are the same, this could hopefully be a very smooth transition.

The main reason I see why they did it is to save money on the masks - the masks are the most expensive item when manufacturing the chips - with the ARM+RV setup they need one set of masks, with two chips (ARM or RV - my favorite version) they would need two sets (2x more $$).

PS: the switcher there on the pico board - perhaps good for simple educational exercises (powering it off a higher voltages), but not good for anything with signal processing, or with some timing critical stuff (see the other thread on multislope adc, for example). But that is not critical as there are boards with a linear regulator as well.

Also their ADC is still something of pretty low performance (sensing a potentiometer perhaps), moreover the sticking with only 32 instructions per state machine seems to me a bad move as well (as I personally have been attracted to the Pico because of its PIOs only)..

PPS: adding the double precision FPU - that is a good move, imho, but it would also require to have the other components on the chip "compatible" when using it for a more demanding applications - ie. in the test equipment (ie. now w/ math using external 20-32bit data), etc. The "analog world" processing has to be of a high quality as well then (ie. simultaneously sampling ADCs for I/Q, PLLs and signals jitter, noise sources, signal integrity, etc.), simply because to make precise calculations with a crappy data makes none sense..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 10:36:44 am by iMo »

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2024, 10:23:37 am »
The switching regulator seems odd. In Hardware Design with RP2350 (pg. 6), there's a defensive-sounding paragraph about how physics is hard, followed by a strong recommendation to use only their custom-wound inductor. I've used a few microcontrollers that included buck regulators, and none of them needed that. (Although their current output was in the 20-50mA ballpark, not 200mA as in the RP2350.) Has anyone seen that before?
Using a custom inductor? No, I've never seen that. But some buck regulator datasheets show a capacitor in the feedback network to improve stability.
You can see it in the application circuit of my favorite buck converter AP63200 pg. 9

Wow, you are talking about this:
It's indeed quite a bit of magical thinking here, I've never seen an engineering document talk about "happy DC-DC converters" that you don't want to "upset".
The layout requires you to run the inductor current below two 0402 capacitors. The switcher is right next to the AVDD, which is sensitive, so much so that you need RC filtering for it. It's also 7 pins to power the core with a DC-Dc. The same for example on a silicon labs chip is 3 pins. And you can run the radio, core, IO and whatever else from the DC-DC if you wish, and orient it the way you want, if you really wish you can place a ferrite in series with the output and the AVCC.

great deal of work
has gone into the design of this circuit, with many iterations of the PCB required in order to make it as good as we
possibly can. While you could place these components in a variety of different ways and still get the regulator to 'work'
(ie, produce an output voltage at roughly the right level, good enough to get it running code), we’ve found that our
regulater needs to be treated in exactly the right way to keep it happy, and by happy, I mean producing the correct
output voltage under a range of load current conditions.
While performing our experiments on this, we were somewhat disappointed to be reminded that the inconvenient world
of physics cannot always be ignored. We, as engineers, largely try and do exactly this; simplifying components, ignoring
(often) insignificant physical properties, and instead focusing on the property that we’re interested in. For example, a
simple resistor does not just have a resistance, but also inductance, etc. In our case, we (re)discovered that inductors
have a magnetic field associated with them, and importantly, radiates in a direction depending on which way the coil is
wound, and the direction of the flow of the current. We were also reminded that a 'fully' shielded inductor doesn’t mean
what you think it might. The magnetic field is attenuated to a large extent, but some does still escape. We found that the
regulator performance could be massively improved if the inductor is 'the right way round'.
It turns out that the magnetic field emitting from a 'wrong way round' inductor interferes with the regulator output
capacitor (C7), which in turn upsets the control circuitry within RP2350. With the inductor in the proper orientation, and
the precise layout and component selections used here, then this problem goes away. There will undoubtedly be other
layouts, components, etc, which could work with an inductor in any orientation, but they will most likely use a lot more
PCB space in order to do so. We have provided this recommended layout to save people the many engineering hours we
have spent developing and refining this compact and well-behaved solution. More to the point, we’re going so far as
saying that if you choose not to use our example, then you do so at your own risk. Much like we already do with RP2040
and the crystal circuit, where we insist (well, strongly suggest) you use a particular part (we will do so again in the
crystal section of this document).
Hardware design with RP2350
2.1. New on-chip voltage regulator 6
The directionality of these small inductors is pretty much universally ignored, with the orientation of the coil winding
impossible to deduce, and also randomly distributed along a reel of components. Larger inductor case sizes can often
be found to have polarity markings on them, however we could find no suitable ones in the 0806 (2016 metric) case size
we have chosen. To this end, we have worked with Abracon to produce a 3.3μH part with a dot to indicate polarity, and
importantly, come on a reel with them all aligned the same way. The TBD are (or will very shortly) be made available to
the general public from distributers. As mentioned earlier, the VREG_AVDD supply is very sensitive to noise, and
therefore needs to be filtered. We found that as the VREG_AVDD only draws around 200μA, an RC filter of 33Ω and
4.7μF is adequate
This goes on for another 2 pages, talking about the same thing over and over.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2024, 02:46:57 pm »
Their datasheets are strange in general. They are less of a formal document and more of a lab manual or something like this. I guess this is the part of the "disruption" they are trying to introduce, but I'm not sure it is a good thing.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2024, 02:58:20 pm »
I was looking in that manual for what is the "new" number of instructions per PIO (while one PIO consists of 4 state machines).
While I assumed it is still 32 I searched with "32 instructions" and it found a single instance buried in the picture Fig 43..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 03:04:29 pm by iMo »

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2024, 05:56:43 pm »
I was looking in that manual for what is the "new" number of instructions per PIO (while one PIO consists of 4 state machines).
While I assumed it is still 32 I searched with "32 instructions" and it found a single instance buried in the picture Fig 43..

I mean, that is the very first thing you see when you go to the "PIO" section... It is also possible to embed instructions into the shifter output, though this is less-often used, and takes a clock for the OUT before the instruction is executed. Most people stay within the 32-instruction pool limit.

The PIO units do have the same number of instructions but they have better linkage between them - being able to (without any going-external penalty) wait on and send IRQs to other PIOs (+1 and -1 with circular arithmetic). That makes it easier to build much larger co-operating programs.

It is also now possible to write (from either system or PIO side but not both simultaneou) directly into any position within the PIO FIFO elements, effectively making status registers (if the PIO has write-access) or control-registers (if the system has write access).

It's also possible to set the base offset for the PIO GPIO pins on the fly. You still only have 32 GPIOs at a time, but you can control where they start from.

There's also less DMA latency (1 clock cycle) compared to the previous RP2040 version.

All told, the PIOs got quite a bit, IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 06:08:47 pm by SpacedCowboy »

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2024, 06:18:07 pm »
Their datasheets are strange in general. They are less of a formal document and more of a lab manual or something like this. I guess this is the part of the "disruption" they are trying to introduce, but I'm not sure it is a good thing.

I like them - they're more "human" and I don't see any reason for technical datasheets to be as soulless as most of them are. I've sometimes read something in other datasheets and wondered "why the hell did they do it *that* way ?" It's refreshing to see someone explaining the why as well as the what.

I don't think I've ever struggled to find something in a R-pi datasheet, which is something that other vendors could take notice of. Maybe I've just been lucky. Maybe.

At least they're not the living nightmare that was Silicon Image datasheets, who put out intentionally wrong information in the "public" one, and then when you rang up your FAE and complain that you'd spent the last 3 weeks trying to do X as it says in the datasheet and you can *prove* that X is just not possible, look at these traces, they said "oh, you must be using the public datasheets, I'll send you the real ones, just sign this extra NDA"

Yeah, we stopped using Silicon Image parts at that point. I don't think that's changed even since Lattice bought them.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, guenthert

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2024, 09:05:10 pm »
The reason they didn't increase the 32 instructions depth is instruction encoding - for 'branching' instructions, they would have had to change the encoding and probably increase the width of instructions, which would probably have had other impacts. As they state here and there, one of their goals with the new RP2350 was that it was almost a drop-in replacement with (almost?) no change in firmware required.

What's going to be the price for the chips? Probably higher than the RP2040?

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2024, 09:38:50 pm »
The reason they didn't increase the 32 instructions depth is instruction encoding - for 'branching' instructions, they would have had to change the encoding and probably increase the width of instructions, which would probably have had other impacts. As they state here and there, one of their goals with the new RP2350 was that it was almost a drop-in replacement with (almost?) no change in firmware required.

Yep - they also have a lot of investment in the RP2040, leveraging as much of that as they can seems smart to me. The PIO are already a very significant differentiator at this price level and they've tried hard (it seems to me) to make the transition to the new device as easy as possible. I think the ability to more easily split larger programs over multiple PIO blocks, and adding another block pretty much solves the problem anyway. It might not be as elegant as "all PIO programs now have 128 instructions available" but it certainly helps. Maybe the next revision of PIO will make the breaking change - or maybe not :)

Pricing is pretty comparable, an RP2040 from DigiKey is currently $0.70. The RP2350 price depends on configuration:

RP2350A QFN60 no flash $0.80
RP2350B QFN80 no flash $0.90
RP2354A QFN60 2Mbyte flash $1.00
RP2354B QFN80 2Mbyte flash $1.10

I suspect I'll be after the RP2354B, but I can't find them on sale anywhere yet. I ordered the RP2350A that MK14 posted about earlier. Supposed to ship in a few days.

Offline MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2024, 09:41:08 pm »

Apparently, in quantity pricing, each $0.80 for the entry level chip, for a reel of 3,400.

Available by the end of the year.

RP2350A QFN60 no flash $0.80
    RP2350B QFN80 no flash $0.90
    RP2354A QFN60 2Mbyte flash $1.00
    RP2354B QFN80 2Mbyte flash $1.10

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/products/micros/rp2350-available-by-year-end-with-flash-inclusive-option-2024-08/

I have to admit.  That does sound rather good, given all the features it has to offer.

Yes, you can get MCU's, with all the bells and whistles, some in this thread, seem to insist on having.  But that can make the MCU cost, massively more, such as $10 each, depending on the specifications required.

$0.80 including high speed (full) double floating point, dual core M33's, can include in-package flash for a bit more, doesn't sound too bad, to me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 09:45:04 pm by MK14 »

Offline MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2024, 10:51:15 pm »
I ordered the RP2350A that MK14 posted about earlier. Supposed to ship in a few days.

The exact one, I linked to, seems to be the higher pin count version, RP2350B, not the A version.