Author Topic: The Raspberry PI PICO 2, now has extra RISC-V cores  (Read 8072 times)

JJalling, jsole and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
Re: The Raspberry PI PICO 2, now has extra RISC-V cores
« Reply #175 on: Yesterday at 07:40:50 pm »
As I understand it (so I could be mistaken here), in standard designs with the RP2350/PICO2, the ADC gets its reference voltage from that same supply voltage, so could be affected (back of envelope, wild estimate, ball park figure), by 1%, since 30 mV is about 1% of 3.3 V.
My reading has the inductor used on the 1v1 core Vdd, not the analog supply.

30mV is close to 1% of 1v1, so it would raise a flag in the lab.
They are vague on exactly where that 1% bump occurs, we have just 'at a chip-dependent VDD current draw, and an unexplained slight efficiency degradation at this inflection point'

How many vendors offer 3.3uH inductors, shielded, in that package size ?

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: Yesterday at 08:14:13 pm »
In order to characterize the ADC you have to get rid of both switchers there (the 3.3V and the 1.1V).
Do replace them simply with linear regulators.
Would be great if somebody comes with a new pcb without any switchers, of course..
The ripples produced by the LC based switchers are pretty hard to filter, as they are rather high energetic pulses.
The setup as it is today is good for less demanding educational purposes, for applications with sensitive analog circuitry or with timing sensitive apps it is simply a nogo.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:23:19 pm by iMo »

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: Yesterday at 08:26:28 pm »
As I understand it (so I could be mistaken here), in standard designs with the RP2350/PICO2, the ADC gets its reference voltage from that same supply voltage, so could be affected (back of envelope, wild estimate, ball park figure), by 1%, since 30 mV is about 1% of 3.3 V.
My reading has the inductor used on the 1v1 core Vdd, not the analog supply.

30mV is close to 1% of 1v1, so it would raise a flag in the lab.
They are vague on exactly where that 1% bump occurs, we have just 'at a chip-dependent VDD current draw, and an unexplained slight efficiency degradation at this inflection point'

How many vendors offer 3.3uH inductors, shielded, in that package size ?

I agree with you.

It seems I was mistaken.

Instead of my googling, finding relevant RP2350/PICO2 websites, (missed/unnoticed by me) it had found a much older website, (such as one) about the previous PICO, on an Adafruit board, whose SMPS, needed or could be put into PWM mode, under certain conditions.

NOT RELEVANT HERE.

N.B. Please IGNORE the following link.  It is only for people curious as to how I messed up, and was not necessarily the webpage, I used when making previous posts.
https://adafruit-playground.com/u/blakebr/pages/wifi-power-management-for-the-raspberry-pi-pico-w

My mistake!

EDIT:
I've tried to correct the post. here (which seems to have a better link of the wrong information, as well):
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/possible-click-bait-title-the-raspberry-pi-pico-2-now-has-extra-risc-v-cores/msg5605771/#msg5605771
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:47:31 pm by MK14 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf