Author Topic: Is IsFuseBlown function available in Msp Flasher and Msp-Fet430UIF?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline plancTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !

There is a function to distinguish whether the JTAG fuse is really blown or you have incorrect connections, are these implemented in the MSP Flasher and MSP-FET430UIF?

https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau320aj/slau320aj.pdf?ts=1672533975172&ref_url=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

I tried MSP-Flasher and got this error:

The following is from the user manual showing the screenshot of "Security fuse has been blown".

Does it use the IsFuseBlown function?  Can anyone share the older version MSP Flasher version 1.2.0 so I can try if the same message would come up?

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
Re: Is IsFuseBlown function available in Msp Flasher and Msp-Fet430UIF?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 01:54:14 pm »
TI FET's don't distinguish JTAG fuse blown from incorrect connection. "Incorrect connection" message don't exist. "device secured / fuse blown" and "unknown device" covers all, and this is far from the right reporting. And your example show this, because you (and everybody else) have no idea what "unknown device" mean, because 2617 is very well known MSP430 device.

If you want to know about TI FET's error reporting, dll and FET firmware are open source, so you can see there what mess it is.

If F2xx fuse is really blown, and there is nothing wrong with setup, "security fuse has been blow" should be reported.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:05:08 pm by josip »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 02:22:31 am »

In your last sentence. You mentioned that "If F2xx fuse is really blown, and there is nothing wrong with setup, "security fuse has been blown" should be reported.". Why not "Unknown device" reported instead? How can it distinguish between the two?

Anyway. How do you add JTAG IsFuseBlown subroutine in Open Source MSP_flasher?

see ttps://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau320aj/slau320aj.pdf?ts=1672711463608

Which of the above files do you need to reprogram or modify to add the -IsFuseBlown option?

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 06:48:10 am »
In your last sentence. You mentioned that "If F2xx fuse is really blown, and there is nothing wrong with setup, "security fuse has been blown" should be reported.". Why not "Unknown device" reported instead? How can it distinguish between the two?

After entry sequence SBW / JTAG master will check for fuse state. If there was no errors before that point, and blown fuse ($55) bytes are result of shifting function, "blown fuse" should be reported. In any other case it will be "unknown device".

Anyway. How do you add JTAG IsFuseBlown subroutine in Open Source MSP_flasher?

You don't add anything to MSPFlasher. Everything is in (open source) MSP430.dll and FET firmware. You can find IsFuseBlown there  (FET firmware), and it is used of course every time for any device. Don't have setup on the table right now to point you to right function, and attach full FET master low level log here.

If you didn't blow fuse, and "unknown device" is reported than something is wrong with your connection (maybe too high cap value on reset pin if SBW is used). What master is used? You are working on your slau320 master?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 07:01:16 am by josip »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 09:43:05 am »

Do you know where I can find the older version Msp Player v1.2.0? The latest is version 1.3.20, and I can't find the older version anywhere.  I searched for "Security fuse has been blown" in the latest version and this phrase doesn't exist in the open source files. Maybe in this latest Msp flasher 1.3.20. All output is "Unknown device" replacing the older version "Security fuse has been blown"? 

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 12:08:15 pm »

Do you know where I can find the older version Msp Player v1.2.0? The latest is version 1.3.20, and I can't find the older version anywhere.  I searched for "Security fuse has been blown" in the latest version and this phrase doesn't exist in the open source files. Maybe in this latest Msp flasher 1.3.20. All output is "Unknown device" replacing the older version "Security fuse has been blown"?

MSP Flasher version is irelevan. DLL version is important, but regarding F2xx family nothing changed in last 10 years. Most of updates are related to adding new (FRAM) device description to FET database.

FET firmware function for checking fuse is there from beginning (nothing change in last 10 years) ...
slac460z_MSPDebugStack\Bios\src\hal\macros\IsJtagFuseBlown.c

List of DLL errors is in ...
slac460z_MSPDebugStack\DLL430_v3\include\MSP430.h

List of all functions is in ...
slac460z_MSPDebugStack_OS_Package_3_15_1_1\DLL430_v3\DLL430.def

You are looking on wrong place for your problem solution. Only if you are using (not supported) 430UIF, than maybe older DLL can help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf