Author Topic: EM78P447SAM: what is this? anyone has ever used it?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
EM78P447SAM: what is this? anyone has ever used it?
« on: September 05, 2019, 03:23:25 pm »
so ... some QA-guys have become so paranoid that they want to see a piece of paper with the label "military-grade" written next to KVM switch, otherwise, they won't authorize the use of anything, and "Military-grade" KVM switches are so damn expensive that my colleagues have asked me to reverse engineering them in order to understand which is the difference with a "common" KVM-switch and such a "safe" gear.

We are also in idle due to a couple of technical problems with our airplanes, something that is out of our competence (mechanical problems), so I have a couple of days to play with KVM-switches.

I have already opened and inspected a couple of DLINK models, finding the EM78P447SAM chip, which looks a protected microcontroller, unable to be "hacked"provide a key-logger.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:39:43 pm by SiliconWizard »

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: EM78P447SAM: what is this? anyone has ever used it?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 05:03:15 pm »
yes, but ... which is the ISA? I haven't yet understood if it's a 51-clone, or something different ...

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 05:14:08 pm »
so ... some QA-guys have become so paranoid that they want to see a piece of paper with the label "military-grade" written next to KVM switch, otherwise, they won't authorize the use of anything, and "Military-grade" KVM switches are so damn expensive that my colleagues have asked me to reverse engineering them in order to understand which is the difference with a "common" KVM-switch and such a "safe" gear.

I guess you could get that paper from China quite fast and easily ;)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 05:35:06 pm »
yes, but ... which is the ISA? I haven't yet understood if it's a 51-clone, or something different ...

Take a look at ยง4.10 of the datasheet. It has a very simple instruction set.

Offline jhpadjustable

• Frequent Contributor
  • Salt 'n' pepper beard
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Arduino, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 10:58:36 pm »
Slightly modified PIC clone...

Didn't recognize the PIC IS from a quick look at the DS, but I thought it was looking familiar... ;D

Offline jhpadjustable

• Frequent Contributor
  • Salt 'n' pepper beard
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 11:46:14 pm »
Didn't recognize the PIC IS from a quick look at the DS, but I thought it was looking familiar... ;D
1. "Okay, who the hell uses a 13 bit instruction word?"
2. "... Google?"
3.  8)
Did I cheat, or is library science really a full one-third of our art?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Arduino, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 09:18:49 am »
So, the KVM switch with the EM78P447SAM "weird CPU" has been classified as "unsafe" even if nobody on the planet Earth (except someone really crazy) would like to hack it,

but those guys in the QA office said to me that a "Military-Grade" KVM Switch *must be* Hacker-Proof not because you cannot find the datasheet/SDK/whatever regarding the chip, or because you find that the MPU is so a pain in the ass to be hacked and reprogrammed that you would really prefer desoldering and replacing the chip with something more friendly (Teensy 4.0? it was the first thing I thought, anyway) ...

but rather *because* each of these "super safe" products *must* offer - hardware-based data isolation and protective measures against port-to-port data leakage -  (their words), further reducing the risk of unauthorized access ... and, beside the data security, they want to read a signed legal piece of paper where it's written black on white that the secure KVM Switch with USB unit *must* also sport several fail-safe physical security features, tested and proved to be 100% working in each scenario, including  tamper-evident tape (wtf?!?) on the casing that reveals a broken seal, as well as "automatic disabling of the unit" (disable channels and halt) in the event of a breach in the physical casing.

O_M_G  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf