Author Topic: CH32V003 does not exit while loop?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline cubeflakeTopic starter

• Contributor
CH32V003 does not exit while loop?
« on: July 10, 2024, 06:20:00 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am having a very strange problem. I must be doing something very stupid, but I'm not seeing it.

I'm using the CH32V003 on a project, and in general everything seems to be working completely fine. I have already written some code on it, debugger works totally fine, no problems.. until..

I am using the SysTick timer in order to make a delay_ms() function. I've set the SysTick counter to count every ms. I have checked that the timer does indeed run at this speed (by toggling a pin).

Now, I have made a function that looks like this:

Code: [Select]
void delay_ms(u32 ms)
{
    u32 start = uwTick;
    // we do +1 because it's possible that the tick increments right after
    // entering this function
    u32 end = start + ms + 1;
    while (uwTick < end)
    {
        // wait
    }
    return;
}

The weird thing is that the micro stays in the while loop. When I check what's going on with the debugger, I see that uwTick is larger than end. Nevertheless, the micro will not exit the while loop and will just wait forever.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Jim

• Contributor
Re: CH32V003 does not exit while loop?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 06:29:56 pm »
Found it! I had to declare uwTick as volatile. Still don't understand why, because I saw uwTick increasing while in the loop...

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 07:03:52 pm »
To understand why you should check out the assembler generated by the compiler for both options. With and without the volatile. It might show that with the volatile on it the code reloads the value from memory for every while iteration and without it loads the register on startup of the function and never reloads it from memory again.

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 07:46:55 pm »
You should redo the function to handle overflow of the counter (where tick + ms overflows a 32bit value). You can work out why by using high systick values which will cause your 'end' value to overflow and your delay returning without delay.
//0xFFFFFFFF = systick now
//ms = 10
void delay_ms(u32 ms){
    u32 start = uwTick; //0xFFFFFFFF
    while( (uwTick - start) < ms ){
        //0xFFFFFFFF - 0xFFFFFFFF = 0, 0<10 ? true
        //0x00000000 - 0xFFFFFFFF = 1, 1<10 ? true
        //to
        //0x00000009 - 0xFFFFFFFF = 10, 10 < 10 ? false
        //can do low power while waiting here if wanted
        }
    }

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, cubeflake

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 10:09:18 pm »
To expand on what pcprogrammer said, or to put it in other words:

Because uwTick is non-volatile, the compiler is assuming that its value won't change during execution of the while loop. So therefore it is generating machine code that grabs the value of uwTick once upon entry to the loop (or even maybe at start of function), and then compares that same value every time to the value of end. And of course if the former is less than the latter once, it will be every time, and you get stuck in an infinite loop.

Also, when you're looking at uwTick in the debugger, it appears to change value because the debugger is querying that location in memory directly, rather than whatever value is being cached in a CPU register during execution of the delay_ms function.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2024, 10:44:51 pm »
Found it! I had to declare uwTick as volatile. Still don't understand why, because I saw uwTick increasing while in the loop...
But the compiler isn't aware about this, that variable will never change in that loop.
Declaring it as volatile tells the compiler "This value might change unexpectedly elsewhere, anytime".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 10:56:54 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2024, 10:56:55 pm »
A very common issue that bites many embedded developers.
The reason is that from a program flow perspective, the compiler has no means of knowing that this variable is actually changing, so it optimizes out reading it. The reason behind it is that, if said variable is only modified inside an ISR, the compiler basically has no means of knowing the ISR function ever gets called, as it's not part of the normal program flow from its perspective.

The volatile qualifier instructs the compiler never to optimize out neither a write nor a read for the qualified object. So, it honors all of them verbatim.

One may think that the compiler may be smart enough to detect code that potentially interacts concurrently, but C doesn't define anything like this, and always favors performance, generally speaking.
If C compilers handled all variables by default as "volatile" - which is something that I bet many would expect - C compiled code would end up very inefficient.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2024, 11:37:25 am »
That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Offline Tation

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2024, 12:02:53 pm »
Cannot remember where, but once I read that missing 'volatile' qualifiers is 1st in the list of culprits for embedded systems misbehavior.

Offline martinribelotta

• Regular Contributor
  • A camel is a horse designed by a committee
    • Martin Ribelotta design services
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2024, 04:44:10 pm »
I prefer to wrap the volatile keyword into an access macro and avoid the declaration of any volatile variable (in fact, the volatile is the access not the variable)

This approach is the new recomended usage for the new C++ and others languages (like rust and zig) and, at least for me, prevent many missusages of volatile declarations (many juniors declare me an array as volatile when something goes wrong)

https://godbolt.org/z/z1jYjczx8

#define VLOAD(type, rvalue) (*((const volatile type *) (&(rvalue))))
#define VSTORE(type, lvalue, expr) do { *((volatile type *) (&(lvalue))) = (expr); } while(0)

typedef unsigned int u32;

u32 tick_counter;

void increment_tick(void)
{
    VSTORE(u32, tick_counter, VLOAD(u32, tick_counter) + 1);
}

void delay_tick(u32 ticks)
{
    u32 start_tick = VLOAD(u32, tick_counter);
    while ((VLOAD(u32, tick_counter) - start_tick) < ticks) {
    }
}

If the code avoid macros, the other trick is to wrap the volatile access as an static inline function like this:

https://godbolt.org/z/P7ansfzba

typedef unsigned int u32;

static inline u32 vload_u32(const u32 *ptr)
{
    return *((volatile u32*) ptr);
}

static inline void vstore_u32(u32 *ptr, u32 val)
{
    *((volatile u32*) ptr) = val;
}

u32 tick_counter;

void increment_tick(void)
{
    vstore_u32(&tick_counter, vload_u32(&tick_counter) + 1);
}

void delay_tick(u32 ticks)
{
    u32 start_tick = vload_u32(&tick_counter);
    while ((vload_u32(&tick_counter) - start_tick) < ticks) {
    }
}

Many people say that atomic operations are equivalents but in some cases I found bugs or missunderstands of atomic access usages and I found this approach less prone to errors.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2024, 06:05:07 pm »
The classic symptom of a variable not being declared volatile when it should be, is if the problem goes away if optimisation level is set to minimum - this can be a useful quick diagnostic when looking for strange problems.

I prefer to wrap the volatile keyword into an access macro and avoid the declaration of any volatile variable (in fact, the volatile is the access not the variable)

Why is that better than declaring volatile variables correctly?

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: cubeflake

Offline martinribelotta

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2024, 03:33:53 pm »

Because is more expresive... when you have a complex expression accessing a volatile variable, the number of load/store will explode. Obviously, it's a human bug for missunderstad of the problem but for a team of developers with junior experience, is a big win when your API prevent bad usages.

If you force to access the volatile variables as a load/store semantic, your code is expresive about the memory access, when you put a volatile variable in a complex expression, is not evident when the compiler emit a load or store. In the most cases, the intention is perform a load-modify-store operation

By example, the next code (really bad wirten) perform a 3 load operations in diferent times. This is valid usage of volatile variable but may not obtain the correct result:
volatile unsigned int counter = 0;

void f(int i)
{
    counter = (counter + i) * 2 - (counter >> 1) + (i << 2) / counter;
}

When you make explicit the load/store of your volatile variable (preferible with a sematic wrapper like int load_my_awesome_counter(void);) the code screams at you what it does.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2024, 03:42:51 pm »

Because is more expresive... when you have a complex expression accessing a volatile variable, the number of load/store will explode. Obviously, it's a human bug for missunderstad of the problem but for a team of developers with junior experience, is a big win when your API prevent bad usages.
If you're using complex expressions in an interrupt routine, you're probably doing it wrong.
The developers still need to understand how to use the load/store where appropriate, in the same way they need to know where to declare variables volatile.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2024, 04:00:21 pm »
But it's bad programming practice then.
If you know a variable can change anytime, you should copy it and work with the buffered value.

void f(int i)
{
    counter = (counter + i) * 2 - (counter >> 1) + (i << 2) / counter;
}
void f(int i)
{
    unsigned int t = counter;
    counter = (t + i) * 2 - (t >> 1) + (i << 2) / t;
}
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 04:05:50 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2024, 04:54:00 pm »
This approach is the new recomended usage for the new C++
I doubt anyone in the C++ world is going to recommend macros/defines. The language itself has better options and you eliminate the obfuscation of the preprocessor doing find/replace on your code. I create no defines at all, unless I'm pushed into a corner where there is no other good choice in the language such as compile time string creation

If C++ is in use, you hide the details in a class, where the class can easily handle the little details such as volatile requirements, the need to interrupt protect, keeping things private outsiders have no need to access, etc.

In this example, the Systick class can easily handle dealing with the volatile and any other details without extra help, and the user of this class only has to know what public functions are available. No 'outsider' is accessing the volatile var directly so the class creator (you) can easily understand there is no irq protection needed for the increment/write or for a read-
https://godbolt.org/z/ovqaveEGT

You will have to understand any need for volatile and atomic protection in any case, so those 'helper macros' do nothing but add an extra layer which you still have to remember to use- if you use them you already know what is needed and can just use a volatile var instead and skip the macros-
https://godbolt.org/z/GdPnYa8aP
and as already stated, if you do not want multiple reads due to the volatile, you simply make a copy to work with.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 05:40:42 pm by cv007 »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline martinribelotta

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2024, 05:27:37 pm »
But it's bad programming practice then.
If you know a variable can change anytime, you should copy it and work with the buffered value.

Yes, all about it is how to deal with bad programmers/bad use cases for your api

Offline martinribelotta

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2024, 05:46:05 pm »
I doubt anyone in the C++ world is going to recommend macros/defines. The language itself has better options and you eliminate the obfuscation of the preprocessor doing find/replace on your code. I create no defines at all, unless I'm pushed into a corner where there is no other good choice in the language such as compile time string creation

C++ is other lang/other entire world... the approach of C++ is deprecate volatile (although there is a proposal to de-deprecate volatile on c++26: https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2023/p2866r0.pdf)

In a language with templates, the prefered way will be like it:

template<typename T>
inline T volatile_load(const T& v)
{
    return *reinterpret_cast<const volatile T*>(&v);
}

template<typename T>
inline void volatile_store(T& v, const T& val)
{
    *reinterpret_cast<volatile T*>(&v) = val;
}

https://godbolt.org/z/rnhEeGz4d

If C++ is in use, you hide the details in a class, where the class can easily handle the little details such as volatile requirements, the need to interrupt protect, keeping things private outsiders have no need to access, etc.

Sure, the abstraction is the big tool here... but classes or other tricks is only tools, if you use compiltion units and external functions with struct as first parameter is the same level of abstraction...

The big cuestion is what is the best way to deal with a moron users for your api...

Obviously, the tick counter problem is a oversimplificated volatile usage example and the simple way is aceptable for it... but when you have hardware sincronization (like DMA pointers or flags) the usage of volatile will be turn very tricky

Offline martinribelotta

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2024, 06:01:03 pm »
If you're using complex expressions in an interrupt routine, you're probably doing it wrong.
Yes but... the usage of volatile is normally more common in non interrupt context

The developers still need to understand how to use the load/store where appropriate, in the same way they need to know where to declare variables volatile.

The big problem here is how to deal with not-so-good developers and maintain the code robust... the usage of volatile variables, in my experience, probes to be a bad combination with unexperimented programmers, and I share my solutions (clearly, partials and not free of fails) for it.

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2024, 06:03:58 pm »
the approach of C++ is deprecate volatile
Yes, they seem to have forgotten that microcontrollers are a thing. Though a compiler option will restore what they took away.

In a language with templates, the prefered way will be like it:
So instead of giving a var an attribute at creation time (one time), you are forced to revisit its need to be a volatile on every use. That is a recipe for mistakes of omission and it replaces something that really has no need to be replaced.

edit-
What they actually took away (for now, starting in C++20), is the ++, += type of things on volatile vars-
ms_++;
ms_ += 1;

so you still have volatile, just not these specific operators which you can 'manually' write if you want-
ms_ = ms_ + 1;
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 06:13:42 pm by cv007 »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2024, 09:36:13 pm »

Both can be defended, and both have their own merits. But at least with the declaration, you only have to do it once, and the "semantic" is attached to the variable, which usually makes more sense.

This approach is the new recomended usage for the new C++ and others languages (like rust and zig) and, at least for me, prevent many missusages of volatile declarations (many juniors declare me an array as volatile when something goes wrong)

Can you point us to this "new recommended usage"?
Also, I don't see how it would prevent anything, as if one forgets to declare some variable volatile when it should be, one can as easily forget to decorate the access "volatile" when it's needed. Developers are much more likely to be confused as to when they need to access some variable in this way, and when they don't, and if they're going to decorate *all* accesses to some variable like this, a single qualifier at a single point (volatile declaration) is way less prone to errors.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2024, 10:17:58 pm »
Of course this is something that a compiler ought to be able to easily detect, and issue a warning if a variable is used in both an interrupt routine and a foreground task.

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2024, 02:40:35 am »
if a variable is used in both an interrupt routine and a foreground task
Except for the mcu such as cortex-m's where there is nothing special about these interrupt functions, so unless they are given some kind of additional attribute the compiler will not know anything about interrupt functions. You also have the option to move the vector table to ram, populate it at runtime (which I do), and again the compiler will have no idea what is going on. In addition, you have multiple interrupt levels where you may spend all your working time inside these 'run levels' and your foreground task could essentially be doing nothing (at least as far as shared vars are concerned).

The volatile is not a hard thing to figure out and every mcu user has to simply learn the when and why just like any other language specific feature. The need for atomic operations is also something that should be given some thought and is often forgotten. Getting the former wrong typically results is 'not working' (which is good and is usually the first step to figuring out volatile), forgetting about the latter usually results in problems that show up infrequently so you may be in for some troubleshooting time and eventually you realize atomic operations are a thing to consider. Both usually require a user to experience the problem firsthand, and after that one learns to consider these things when creating code.

I also compile at -Os optimization from the start, so in addition to dealing with the same generated code and timing throughout the project, if I do forget the need for volatile I find about it when the code is created and not a month later when I decide its time to go -Os (and now have multiple things 'broke' that were working before).

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2024, 08:54:43 am »
if a variable is used in both an interrupt routine and a foreground task
Except for the mcu such as cortex-m's where there is nothing special about these interrupt functions, so unless they are given some kind of additional attribute the compiler will not know anything about interrupt functions. You also have the option to move the vector table to ram, populate it at runtime (which I do), and again the compiler will have no idea what is going on. In addition, you have multiple interrupt levels where you may spend all your working time inside these 'run levels' and your foreground task could essentially be doing nothing (at least as far as shared vars are concerned).

The volatile is not a hard thing to figure out and every mcu user has to simply learn the when and why just like any other language specific feature. The need for atomic operations is also something that should be given some thought and is often forgotten. Getting the former wrong typically results is 'not working' (which is good and is usually the first step to figuring out volatile), forgetting about the latter usually results in problems that show up infrequently so you may be in for some troubleshooting time and eventually you realize atomic operations are a thing to consider. Both usually require a user to experience the problem firsthand, and after that one learns to consider these things when creating code.

I also compile at -Os optimization from the start, so in addition to dealing with the same generated code and timing throughout the project, if I do forget the need for volatile I find about it when the code is created and not a month later when I decide its time to go -Os (and now have multiple things 'broke' that were working before).
By "compiler" I meant the whole toochain. At some point it needs to know to do whatever is needed  to make the processor treat a procedure as an interrupt, and in most cases this will be fairly straightforward,e.g. an attribute.
 Anyone doing more complex things like moving vector tables will likely be skilled enough to not benefit from the "this should be declared volatile"  warning. 

Offline glenenglish

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF engineer. AI6UM / VK1XX . Aviation pilot. MTBr
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2024, 08:20:25 pm »
I find that on some IDE/compilers, like AVR codevision, that all global variables are treated as volatile.
As a result, each time the compiler manipulates a global variable, it loads it out of memory, performes some operation on or using it, and then, if modified, writes it back to memory. This results in the code producing (usually) needless read-modify-writes, and lots of code bloat and speed cost. 

Compared to most compilers, GCC etc, the volatile keyword is required to ensure the compiler makes no assumptions to the value of a variable.

For the newbie -

Without the  volatile keyword, there is assumption by the compiler, that a variable is not being modified elsewhere, so when it loads a (global) variable from memory say at the start of a function, that it doesnt need to reload it to ensure it has the update to date version of it.

the compiler has no idea if the variable you reference in some part of the program will be modified somewhere else . And this might happen when an interrupt handler is executed.

If a variable may be modified outside a function , and if it is modified, if the behaviour of the function would be modified as a result ----,  for example during an interrupt handler event might modify a counter variable , (while the 'base' function is being executed) , the use of the variable must be guarded by , usually, disabling interrupts around the use of the variable, so it cannot change while you are making decisions based on the value.

The codevision read modify write method doesnt prevent this because an interrupt may be executed between the 'read - modify - write'  steps.   I must ask Pavel why he does this.

Many use global variables when they need variable state persistence across function calls. The better method is to use static variables in functions.  The compiler does not have to guess if it is being used outside the function because it's private (in a C sense).

Golly I have realised that this is quite a subject, not the original two line reply I wanted  to make !

When working with hardware, where peripheral registers may change at any time, like say a UART serial buffer bit telling you there is more data, the definitions for a device in the header file will (likely) be using the volatile keyword to tell the compiler ' do not assume anything'.

Volatile requirements around peripheral interaction, and interrupt handlers  are always new traps for new embedded programmers.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 08:22:30 pm by glenenglish »

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2024, 08:30:44 pm »
the approach of C++ is deprecate volatile
Yes, they seem to have forgotten that microcontrollers are a thing. Though a compiler option will restore what they took away.

They didn't.  C++ continues to completely support volatile for memory mapped IO, which is the main purpose, as well as other used for volatile such as globals accessed by ISRs or async signal handlers. 

What they have deprecated or proposed to deprecate is mostly stuff that doesn't make sense or has unclear semantics.  For instance volatile function parameters don't really make sense. Volatile compoind assignments like x += 1 are well defined but might be misinterpreted as an atomic read-modify-write, which is incorrect.  Of course some people do use volatile compoind assignments in a way that is OK, so it's not free from breakage but easy to fix by writing x = x + 1.

Ideally it would be best to avoid using volatile for ISRs and signal handlers.  Atomics are much better in these applications: more efficient, easier to get correct, and can work correctly in multi core situations where volatile alone is not enough.  More and more microcontrollers are becoming multi core so that's going to continue to be an issue.  But atomics are not always a drop in replacement for volatile globals you may need to rework logic to transition.  On top of that C11/C++11 atomics don't always actually translate to atomic operations, they will fall back on locks when in some situations.  You can't use a lock in an ISR so you need to ensure that your platform supports lock free atomics for the types you need.

The following users thanked this post: glenenglish

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf