Author Topic: Battery Bulging Issue: Causes and Solutions?  (Read 821 times)

Offline Edward_JasonTopic starter

• !
Battery Bulging Issue: Causes and Solutions?
« on: June 27, 2024, 10:47:12 am »
Hey everyone,

I have noticed that my new phone battery is bulging and pressing on the LCD touchscreen, similar to my previous battery. What could be causing this issue to occur so soon? And what steps should I take to resolve it and prevent it from happening again?

[Spam link removed]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 08:19:15 am by Halcyon »

Offline bson

• Supporter
Re: Battery Bulging Issue: Causes and Solutions?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2024, 09:38:17 pm »
The battery is defective or the battery management controller in the phone is defective.  Either way it's a potential fire hazard and it should definitely be replaced under warranty if it's a new phone.  There's nothing reasonable really to be done to prevent it.  Older batteries will puff out when they reach the end of their life, or are either overcharged or overdischarged.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2024, 11:16:13 pm »
LiPo chemistry is complex, there are many possible causes of battery puffing and failure.

Some causes include:
* Early in life: bad battery chemistry
* End of life: "expected" failure.
* Wrong charge voltage (most cells are only rated to 4.2V, but some phones expect 4.4V cells and will charge them to this)
* Mixture of high ambient temps and holding the voltage at max for long periods of time
* (Citation needed for this one, not certain if proven) micro-charge and discharge patterns.

pressing on the LCD touchscreen

Are you suffering bad or fake touch events?  If so then that needs to be addressed separately.

new phone battery

New phone or new battery?

Either way does your country have decent warranty laws?  Puffing battery in a phone is a major failure.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 08:05:17 am »
Bad battery. This is what you often get with third-party aftermarket replacements. Just replace under warranty. Or if ebay/aliexpress crap, just don't buy again.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2024, 12:15:47 pm »
Wow, account banned.  I didn't spot a link earlier, perhaps it was hidden or edited in later.

I wonder if that means the entire question was bot generated?  If so then I was none the wiser.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 10:02:42 pm »
Ah, I misread 'new phone battery' to mean new phone, but it makes sense if it's a new battery in an old phone.  I'd place my bets on a defective battery or wrong chemistry (causing overcharging).

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2024, 10:03:40 pm »
Wow, account banned.  I didn't spot a link earlier, perhaps it was hidden or edited in later.

I wonder if that means the entire question was bot generated?  If so then I was none the wiser.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf