Author Topic: ARM Development on Mac OS X?  (Read 29467 times)

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
Re: ARM Development on Mac OS X?
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 11:14:28 pm »
f you don't need a GUI it is very easy to write portable code which compiles for both Windows and Unix based systems.
That may well be, but GCC still requires either MinGW or Cygwin (or atleast did the last time I cared about building a Windows-hosted toolchain). Many years ago the need to emulate fork and exec was cited as one reason large builds ran slower under Windows, maybe things have improved since then.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 11:42:56 pm »
... the fact is that NOBODY, develops such tools for MacOs.

Demonstratively false.
show me any commercial big name tool. Raisonance, Nohau , Keil , IAR, ARM RVDS, American Arium.
where are the Macos versions ?
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 01:16:28 am »

Demonstratively false.
show me any commercial big name tool. Raisonance, Nohau , Keil , IAR, ARM RVDS, American Arium.

Hmm, NOBODY became 'big names'....  That's a different statement.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 01:45:11 am »

Demonstratively false.

I don't think he considers anything that costs less than a car to be worth his time.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 02:00:39 am »

Demonstratively false.

I don't think he considers anything that costs less than a car to be worth his time.

Subsidized car or full price?

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 02:09:57 am »
Not even going there. O0

Offline naragon1Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 09:26:02 pm »

For toolchain you want https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded which is the version of GCC maintained by ARM.

http://gnuarmeclipse.github.io offers plugins and instructions for putting together an Eclipse-based IDE for basically any ARM Cortex based MCU.

I didn't mean for this thread to become a debate about OS. Just to close the loop, I went with the above setup which works great and was really easy to set up on OS X.  In case anyone is interested and they want to set up a similar toolchain on Windows, Andy Brown did a really nice write up going the other way: http://andybrown.me.uk/2015/03/22/stm32dev-windows/

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 10:04:59 pm »

Demonstratively false.

my statements are based on what i see being used in industrial settings. All the companies i have worked for , or have come in contact with, all use commercially available software and development systems.

Nohau, Ashling, Greenhills, ARM , Lauterbach , American Arium, Keil, IAR , and others, you name it.

Commercial tools.
not homebrew , not slapped together , not open source.

Not a single one for MAC. Maybe one for some *nix flavor.

Same goes for things like FPGA tools. win/*nix , no Macos.

In 23 years, i have never seen a hardware/firmware engineering lab that used Macs. EVEN AT APPLE ! MACS are designed using WINDOWS based CAD/CAE tools.

That's the simple truth. The ecosystem in that market is too small so nobody releases those kind of tools for that platform.
Don't get me wrong. I also have a Mac and various other Apple machines and like em very much, when running the applications these machines are designed for.

just get a cheap pc. besides : you don:t want to fry your 2700$ mac's usb port with a wonky soldered ftdi232 ... get a cheapo usb plugin card and fry that. 12$ gets you a 4 port usb pci card. fry em to your hearts content
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:07:47 pm by free_electron »
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 12:01:12 am »
I depends completely on where you look. In the past 15 years I have been using GCC for several different microcontroller platforms almost exclusively and this wasn't initially my own choice!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2015, 09:15:54 am »
It wasn't too long ago you'd get similar responses when asking about development on Linux.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2015, 06:09:05 pm »
my statements are based on what i see being used in industrial settings. All the companies i have worked for , or have come in contact with, all use commercially available software and development systems.

Nohau, Ashling, Greenhills, ARM , Lauterbach , American Arium, Keil, IAR , and others, you name it.

Commercial tools.
not homebrew , not slapped together , not open source.

Not a single one for MAC. Maybe one for some *nix flavor.

I have had excellent experience with LPCXpresso from NXP on Mac OSX, including seamless integration with hardware debuggers. Same Macbook Air 11" also does PCB design (eagle), 3D modeling (openscad) and 3D printing (Simplify3D).  Life is good.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 06:20:33 pm »

Rowley CrossWorks for ARM has a Mac OS version. Although Rowley may not be a "big name", CrossWorks is a fully professional tool that I wouldn't hesitate to use in a commercial environment.

The best thing about it is they have a personal license for USD$150 for hobbyists like me. This  is the full version too, not a limited or crippled version.
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2015, 06:30:30 pm »
f_e, actual manufacturers provide and support cross-platform development tools. If you don't think anybody uses them commercially, what funds their development?

Sounds more like you're trying to project your own experiences onto the entire industry.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2015, 03:57:01 pm »
naragon1, would be interesting to hear what you find and what works for you.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2015, 05:43:32 pm »
f_e, actual manufacturers provide and support cross-platform development tools. If you don't think anybody uses them commercially, what funds their development?

Sounds more like you're trying to project your own experiences onto the entire industry.
Keil has nothing for mac
IAR  has nothing for mac
Nohau . zip
Lauterbach nada

All the 'traditional' (read : been around since the 70's) tool providers have nothing .

Show me a some. enlighten me. I would love to know about some , so i can convey them to people asking for these.
I don't know any , apart from some oddball like Crowley and a few 'slapped together' ( read we take eclipse and shove GCC up it's ass and release that). it gets even worse once you start throwing debuggers in the mix ( hardware debuggers , that are more than simple jtag or SWD dongles ). Then the field collapses to windows only.

It goes beyond that. Good luck finding something like a Can analyser , I2C, SPi, sniffer (like totalphase's) or any other kind of 'real' tools. Agilent doesn't have anything on Mac. Tek ? keithley ? Zilch. nop.

The playing field for MacOs for this kind of application is very small.
It is larger on linux  (and growing)
But windows still owns 90% of that stuff.

Why? i don't know. I'd assumed by know, given the 'techieness' of linux that there would ave been a switch, but it happens very very slowly.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2015, 05:59:06 pm »
Good luck finding something like a Can analyser , I2C, SPi, sniffer (like totalphase's) or any other kind of 'real' tools.
Total Phase have supported Macs for many years.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2015, 06:04:32 pm »
It goes beyond that. Good luck finding something like a Can analyser , I2C, SPi, sniffer (like totalphase's) or any other kind of 'real' tools. Agilent doesn't have anything on Mac. Tek ? keithley ? Zilch. nop.

I used Saleae + Mac to decode Linbus and it worked great. It can decode many of the protocols you mentioned and they even give you an SDK so you can decode proprietary protocols.

The Logic software has protocol analyzers that can automatically decode SPI, I2C, serial, 1-Wire, CAN, UNI/O, I2S/PCM, MP Mode, Manchester, Modbus, DMX-512, Parallel, JTAG, LIN, Atmel SWI, MDIO, SWD, LCD HD44780, BiSS C, HDLC, HDMI CEC, PS/2, USB 1.1, Midi – or create your own with the SDK.

anything-outside-of-my-horizons-doesn't-exist is silly.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2015, 06:05:21 pm »
All the 'traditional' (read : been around since the 70's) tool providers have nothing .

Ah, I see. If you didn't grow up with them, they're not good enough.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2015, 06:10:14 pm »
I'm also going to go out on a limb and say the OP probably isn't in the market for a $10000 debugger, or interested in paying a couple of thousands per year in compiler maintenance fees anyway, so the point is kind of moot.

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 06:39:37 pm »
naragon1, would be interesting to hear what you find and what works for you.

I went with gcc-arm-embedded and Eclipse. It works fine for me - no issues whatsoever. I'm used to development on Eclipse so it was a natural fit, plus it's free - can't beat that.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 07:48:39 pm »
I went with gcc-arm-embedded and Eclipse. It works fine for me - no issues whatsoever. I'm used to development on Eclipse so it was a natural fit, plus it's free - can't beat that.

Great! What MCUs (or what vendor) are you using?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2015, 08:32:23 pm »

Look , we can keep dancing around this until we have a long grey beard.
old, new. doesn't matter.

go to all the ARM processor suppliers. look at the tools they provide (whether their own or 3rd party) and make a list. MACos will be slim pickins ...
go to all processor manufacturers for that matter. ARM 8051 , Renesas , Freescale , whatever. Look at the availability of native MacOs based tools.

Go for it. prove me wrong ! Show me a list of macos tools for those things, so the next time someone asks me if there are any , i can answer yes and give them the list.

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 09:20:47 pm »

Great! What MCUs (or what vendor) are you using?

I'm playing around with an STM32F4 Discovery board. I don't do this for a living, it's just for fun. Hence all the more reason I'm not willing to shell out thousands for a "commercial" grade IDE. I'm pretty comfortable around a command line, so I don't mind struggling with GCC and other such tools.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 10:32:03 pm »

Keil has nothing for mac
IAR  has nothing for mac
Nohau . zip
Lauterbach nada

So what? None of the traditional car makers make decent electric cars. Does that mean that there shouldn't be any electric cars?  >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2015, 04:30:21 am »

Look , we can keep dancing around this until we have a long grey beard.
old, new. doesn't matter.

go to all the ARM processor suppliers. look at the tools they provide (whether their own or 3rd party) and make a list. MACos will be slim pickins ...
go to all processor manufacturers for that matter. ARM 8051 , Renesas , Freescale , whatever. Look at the availability of native MacOs based tools.

Go for it. prove me wrong ! Show me a list of macos tools for those things, so the next time someone asks me if there are any , i can answer yes and give them the list.
free_electron, I also see a similar scenario in professional dev tools, but recently TI released its IDE for MacOS and had native command-line compilers for some time. In this case, I can't help but think the marketplace is changing.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf