Author Topic: AmpHour #181 Low Pin Count High Gate Count FPGAs  (Read 6865 times)

Offline lgbenoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
AmpHour #181 Low Pin Count High Gate Count FPGAs
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:11:02 pm »
This message is mostly for Dave @eevblog but there is a very good reason why historically you cannot get a high gate count FPGA in a small or low pin count package. 

It comes down to the largest Diesize that the package can accept.  The logic & fabric alone in a million gate FPGA is larger than what a 6x6QFN can hold therefore a bigger package is going to be required.  You could say that yes, you could only bond out the pads required for your application to save some cost in wirebonding but those large devices like you mentioned in the podcast are most likely flipchip anyway so the cost for pins is fixed unlike in wirebonded packages where it is more variable.

All of that said, as FPGAs move to smaller geometries like 22nm, this dream could become more of a possibility but then at the expense of dropping the core and IO voltages.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
Re: AmpHour #181 Low Pin Count High Gate Count FPGAs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:56:09 pm »
Altera says they will be on the 14nm node soon.  I wonder if they will provide some small packages. 

http://www.altera.com/technology/system-tech/next-gen/process-technologies.html

Intel says that it's 14nm node is nearing production capability and will be producing chips this Q1:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20140120233109_Intel_on_Track_with_Broadwell_Production_in_Q1_Company.html
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:08:44 pm »
Screw high gate count, I'd be glad of _ANY_ gate count in a 48 or 64 pin QFP/QFN
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline cosmos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:33:24 pm »
Well if the area of the package is the problem you can get a Spartan 6 i 8x8mm CPG196 (0.5mm pitch) ...
 but soldering it will be nothing like a QFP of course.

Offline brabus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 03:12:09 pm »
Screw high gate count, I'd be glad of _ANY_ gate count in a 48 or 64 pin QFP/QFN

Dear Mike, I once used this puppy: http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/rts/docs/Xilinx-datasource-2003-q1/datasheets/ds091.pdf
Xilinx XC2C32, 32 logic blocks in a comfortable QFP44 package.

What happened, is that the 32 logic blocks were OK for the first revision of the project (a simple latched buffer), but were not enough for the subsequent customer's need (as always, new inputs come when the project is almost finished).
How did I solve the thing? Package on Package: soldering a second QFP44 over the existing one, chaining the pins for JTAG programming, soldering the supplies and finally die drown in a sea of patch wire.

What a rip-off... |O

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 05:08:06 am »
This message is mostly for Dave @eevblog but there is a very good reason why historically you cannot get a high gate count FPGA in a small or low pin count package. 

It comes down to the largest Diesize that the package can accept.  The logic & fabric alone in a million gate FPGA is larger than what a 6x6QFN can hold therefore a bigger package is going to be required.  You could say that yes, you could only bond out the pads required for your application to save some cost in wirebonding but those large devices like you mentioned in the podcast are most likely flipchip anyway so the cost for pins is fixed unlike in wirebonded packages where it is more variable.

All of that said, as FPGAs move to smaller geometries like 22nm, this dream could become more of a possibility but then at the expense of dropping the core and IO voltages.

The die in a Spartan6 LX9 is only about 6mm to a side, and I have thermal images to prove it. Tell me that can't be put in a smaller package than a QFP208.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 06:51:29 am »
It comes down to the largest Diesize that the package can accept.

Yes, but it's also marketing. I've asked both Xilinx and Altera at high levels back in the day and they both responded with "because no one wants them".
Me - "Well, have you tried making one to see?"
Them - "Nope, we know no one wants them, there is no market for them."
Even mid level gate count in a usable package would have been a step forward.
A 44pin PLCC is a pretty darn big package at about 16x16mm for example.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:58:55 am »
i wonder if you could get a large FPGA, in an FCPGA , where the pins aren't soldered to the pads, but are actually molded into the epoxy, so you can solder it straight in as a thru-hole...

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:34:42 pm »
Yes, but it's also marketing. I've asked both Xilinx and Altera at high levels back in the day and they both responded with "because no one wants them".
Several years ago on Usenet, one Xilinx employee put it slightly differently, namely that their big customers were all about having tons of I/O.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 09:53:35 pm »
Several years ago on Usenet, one Xilinx employee put it slightly differently, namely that their big customers were all about having tons of I/O.

That would certainly explain why the smallest of the Artix-7 family that you can actually buy is the XC7A100. The 35, 50 and 75 aren't even listed as orderable from DigiKey or Avnet. The first blurbs we got from Xilinx promised a 20, which appears nowhere in current documentation.

And yet Xilinx wonders why users of the Spartan 3AN family haven't migrated to the series 7 parts yet ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf