Author Topic: What do you want from a GPSDO?  (Read 23122 times)

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
Re: What do you want from a GPSDO?
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2019, 01:18:32 pm »
Thanks for the link.
Actually I'd come across them before (he also is selling a much more expensive one for £25 and has been doing so for at least a year) but I'd not bought as there was no info and I failed to link it to the datasheet that you've linked it to.
I feel tempted to buy some but I've already purchased lots of OCXOs and now mainly try to seek out things like the HP10811 or perhaps a Wenzel but these are ridiculously expensive on ebay.

Perhaps getting a few more to play with would be fun though.

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2019, 06:53:14 pm »
Thanks for the link.
Actually I'd come across them before (he also is selling a much more expensive one for £25 and has been doing so for at least a year) but I'd not bought as there was no info and I failed to link it to the datasheet that you've linked it to.
I feel tempted to buy some but I've already purchased lots of OCXOs and now mainly try to seek out things like the HP10811 or perhaps a Wenzel but these are ridiculously expensive on ebay.

Perhaps getting a few more to play with would be fun though.

At the price they were, I rather thought they'd make very nice toys for anyone with a cheap GPS module to hand. I mean, just how bad do they have to be before they're considered a total waste of money?  :)   I'd say "totally broken is just how bad imo." which isn't so bad in this case when, for me dealing with a local UK based trader, with Ebay's refund policy as a backup option, I don't have the hassle of dealing with an inscrutable Chinese operator almost half a world away to contend with.

As far as I can tell, all seven examples are fully functional without even any signs of gross (or, indeed any) physical abuse so often evident in the photos offered by many Chinese purveyors of used recovered stock. I've no means of measuring phase noise performance but none have exhibited what I suppose might be considered alarmingly high rates of ageing related frequency drift and, imv, seem to have several years worth of  life left in them, quite possibly another decade or more's worth.

Having managed to secure my own personal 'Lifetime's Supply', I felt it only fair to disclose my 'secret find' for all to take advantage of. There must be a quite a few impoverished hobbyists out there who would be only too happy to invest a mere five quid (plus the two quid P&P charge) in something that would typically be three or more times as pricey and, like me, still leave serious doubts about their condition as well as the (tr)additional 3 to 6 week journey on a slow boat from China to cope with.

Although the original 13MHz unit requires another three ICs to utilise it as a 10MHz OCXO source, I'm still considering it for use in the GPSDO project since it eliminates the need for a 12v rail (besides which, it would otherwise just go to waste in the spare parts drawer if I didn't make the modicum of effort required to put it to good use). The additional half watt from the three extra ICs on the power budget in this case, unlike the situation with the FY6600, isn't going to be an issue and I can substitute one of the two  expensive 3N502s with an XOR gate and RC delay for the first times two multiplier stage to save it for a more deserving and productive fate.

However, it looks like I've found another little side project to distract me from proceeding with that plan in the form of experiments to work out how best to implement my 'injection locking' these 10MHz OCXOs to a GPSDO reference using, for the time being the filtered raw PPS 10MHz output from the GPS module which may prove to be a halfway house between a full blown GPSDO implementation and that basic GPS based 10MHz calibration reference of Scully's <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbns-FvpzK4> which had inspired me to buy the u-blox M8N module in the first place.

It might be another week or three before I manage to finally concoct something that could actually be described as a GPSDO (of sorts), assuming I don't find yet another distraction to play around with in the meantime.  |O

JBG
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:54:47 pm by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2019, 09:18:57 pm »
I'm sure, from what you say, they are fully functioning and at that price good value. It is just in my case I probably have around a dozen similarly specced ocxos I've acquired over the years so they would just add to the pile and make me feel guilty that I'd not got around to doing anything with them yet!

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2019, 02:00:08 am »
I'm sure, from what you say, they are fully functioning and at that price good value. It is just in my case I probably have around a dozen similarly specced ocxos I've acquired over the years so they would just add to the pile and make me feel guilty that I'd not got around to doing anything with them yet!

I know exactly where you're coming from... now!  :)

I've just totalled up my spend on these OCXOs and it comes to 7 pence shy of 44 quid. However, to put that into perspective, I just have to remind myself that I'd been poised on the brink of shelling out some 45 quid or more plus 20% VAT to Digikey for a cheap brand new Abrams(?) OCXO just six weeks back. I'm glad I stepped back from that particular brink. For almost the same expenditure, I've got a set of seven from which to choose when I can eventually run the required tests to pick out the best of the bunch (assuming there is much to choose between the 'best' and the 'worst').

Brand new, as Texaspyro pointed out, doesn't always guarantee a better quality of OCXO so having a few spares to play with for less expenditure gives me options I just wouldn't have otherwise had with a single brand new unit costing more than I ultimately spent. I might never use more than just the first two I've already earmarked for the sig genny and a GPSDO project but I've at least got the assurance of plenty of spares on hand to let me experiment at my leisure.

Building ever better GPSDOs could become a bit of a hobby in itself so having spares will save me having to rob the earlier builds of their OCXOs. If I'm going to go down that road, I'd like to have at least three generations of GPSDO running to allow meaningful comparisons. I might land up using a lot more of my 'Lifetime's Supply' than just two or three.

One can never really predict future usage so it just seemed a good idea to take advantage of such low pricing to amass an ample contingency reserve without breaking the bank. That 13MHz sample I'd bagged at the rally just three weeks ago turned out to be a much better investment of the 4 quid I'd paid for it since my searching for a datasheet led me to discover a source of very cheap 10MHz versions which I may otherwise have turned my nose up at for the lack of experience of this particular brand of OCXO. My collection is now large enough that I think I'll be able to resist further temptation to expand it any further (at least for the foreseeable future).  :)

JBG
John

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2019, 08:33:44 pm »
In a fit of extravagance I just ordered 4 to add to my collection. He was down to the last 7 and I worried that I might regret not getting some.

I'm working on improving my ADEV measurements, and these will provide more things to measure and, as you say, it gives flexibility for designing GPSDOs and other things.

Offline ignilux

• Supporter
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2019, 09:13:56 pm »
Just out of sheer curiosity I went to check how much it would be to ship to the States...

I now have two on the way  ;D

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2019, 11:38:21 pm »
Just out of sheer curiosity I went to check how much it would be to ship to the States...

I now have two on the way  ;D

It'll be interesting to see what you and jpb think of them once you've had a chance to check them out. In the meantime, I'm stuck without a working GPS module on account of my foolishly hitting the PPS line with a dose of 12 volts in the wee small hours yesterday. It's a long story which I won't bore you with here. You can find my tale of woe in my GPS navigation module thread here if you wish to satisfy your curiosity:-

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/ublox-neo-m8n-gps-navigation-signal-amplify-module-for-arduino-rasppery-pi/msg2426871/#msg2426871

https://tinyurl.com/y6mvst5g

(I've just figured out that the standard < and > hyperlink delimiters have been confusing the "insert hyperlink" button function on this web site's messaging system.)

Suffice to say I've now got a cheap NEO-6M on order, along with a couple of USB to serial adapters (PL and CH but no pricey FTD ones) and SMA flylead adapters to tide me over. They should arrive by the end of the week (all bar one Chinese sourced order of flylead adapters at any rate).

In hindsight, the worst of that fiasco was that I could have experimented with just a couple of those OCXOs without going anywhere near my precious GPS module.  :palm:

Never mind, treat yourselves to a bit of a laugh at my expense. At least the 21 quid I blew will be going to a good cause. I can laugh about it now - there's no point in crying and, besides, it's only a tiny fraction of "The Kid's Inheritance" I'm slowly burning my way through. >:D

JBG

PS  Oh BTW, does anyone have a GPS module to recommend? Perhaps a timing one. I might as well try and take advantage of the enforced GPS module replacement as an upgrade opportunity.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:45:11 pm by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2019, 11:56:54 pm »
PS  Oh BTW, does anyone have a GPS module to recommend? Perhaps a timing one. I might as well try and take advantage of the enforced GPS module replacement as an upgrade opportunity.

Something Ublox F9T  based (around $200) or  Furuno GT-8736 (around $60) ... but, I suspect you are a bit wimpy, and can't handle the performance   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2019, 12:38:44 am »

Something Ublox F9T  based (around $200) or  Furuno GT-8736 (around $60) ... but, I suspect you are a bit wimpy, and can't handle the performance   :-DD

Hi Mark,

Have You Try F9T ?

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2019, 01:48:32 am »
Have You Try F9T ?

Yes!   I now Heather working with the F9T and F9P.

Supposedly Digikey now has F9T modules and should soon have eval boards.

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2019, 04:29:55 pm »

If "performance" is a euphemism for "expense", then yeah, you got that right!  :(

I'll have a search for "u-blox F9T". Something to drool over should offer a bit of distraction therapy. ;D

That was a short 'drool'. I'm afraid that's just a bit too avant-garde for my wallet. :(  I was thinking of something a little less avant-garde than my original M8N module such as this item:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ublox-M8N-GPS-With-Compass-for-OMNIBUS-F4-Pro-V2-V3-Flight-Controller/323433150529?hash=item4b4e1e3841:g:aBAAAOSwDTNatpOb

The only thing being that it'll lack the convenience of built in USB port and possibly flash ram (the PPS on pin three can be accessed easily enough). However, since I've now got three usb to TTL serial adapters ordered (the last being an FTD based Arduino adapter), the lack of a built in usb port shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming this can be perverted to discipline an OCXO easily enough but the ASS-U-ME aspect worries me a little. Does anyone think this might not be such a good idea?

I've already ordered one of these, yesterday:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GY-NEO6MV2-NEO-6M-GPS-Module-NEO6MV2-with-Flight-Control-Antenna-for-Arduino/273851748531?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908103841%26meid%3D2efd0832b1314d6c9cee050ae8b03de8%26pid%3D100227%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D14%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D153446586450%26itm%3D273851748531&_trksid=p2054502.c100227.m3827

I've already spent just over three times as much on a variety of USB to TTL serial adapters (PL CH and FTD flavours) and an SMA pigtail or three:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PL2303HX-USB-to-TTL-RS232-COM-UART-Module-Serial-Cable-Adapter-for-Arduino/263864494229?epid=18022329686&hash=item3d6f8ca895:g:bYkAAOSwnKdbaaNr

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-RS232-Cable-CH340-DB9-Male-9Pin-Serial-Port-Adapter-Converter-Windows-7-8/162903533365?epid=506855824&hash=item25edcea735:g:lqcAAOSw44BYMHfX

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-To-TTL-FT232RL-FTDI-Serial-Adapter-Converter-Module-For-Arduino-3-3V-5V-Mini/222727769676?epid=8010050952&hash=item33db9c0e4c:g:5bcAAOSwZW5aFB08

I might not be making extravagant purchases but I'm still running the risk of "Nickel and Dime-ing my way into bankruptcy". However, as surplus to my immediate needs as these 'chump change' purchases appear, they're still useful items to have to hand in the workshop.

When you're starting all over again, there's no easy way to avoid this sort of 'expense' - it's just part of the process of bringing a neglected late 20th century electronics parts stock back up to date. Also, whilst I understand that the FTDI USB adapters are the ones to go for, I thought I'd sample the other, more problematical types to bring my experiences into line with everyone else's (it's only a bit of 'chump change' and I ain't going to be living forever - other than dental and medical implant costs, I won't be taking any of it to my grave).

JBG
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:57:48 pm by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2019, 04:55:49 pm »

Have you had a chance to look at the newer improved Furuno the GT88 (I don't know if it has a GT-8836 board yet)?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/furuno-gt88-timing-gnss-receiver/

I've not heard of the F9T, I will investigate.

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2019, 05:01:47 pm »
This one is quite good... and cheaper than the F9T:

https://www.buerklin.com/en/Products/Active-Devices/Multi-Chip-Module/GNSS--%26-GPS-Module/MULTI-GNSS-RECEIVER-GT-8736C/p/64S3196
In the UK it is also sold by these people (though I've never used them so I don't know if they are any good):
https://ecommerce.linkwave.co.uk/gt-8736-gnss-timing-module/

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2019, 05:15:03 pm »
I don't know of any GT-88xx stuff that is available...

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2019, 03:29:00 am »
This one is quite good... and cheaper than the F9T:

https://www.buerklin.com/en/Products/Active-Devices/Multi-Chip-Module/GNSS--%26-GPS-Module/MULTI-GNSS-RECEIVER-GT-8736C/p/64S3196

It's still over twice the price I'm prepared to pay at this stage of the game though.

I was getting used to the quirkyness of the u-centre interface with my M8N example which, whilst not completely dead, is regretfully no longer able to discipline anything on account of the needless risk I took in my 'injection locking' experiment (I could have simply used one of the many spare OCXOs to act as a master in these experiments and kept the M8N out of harm's way.  :( ).

If I wanted an exact replacement as per the item linked to below, not only would it cost me £6.64 more than I paid for the original I'd bought from a trader shipping from a UK address in less than a week but I'd have to suffer the typical 10 to 30 days shipping delay from Hong Kong which adds insult to injury, hence my choosing a cheap and cheerful NEO-6M module from a UK based supplier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ublox-NEO-M8N-GPS-navigation-signal-amplify-module-for-arduino-Rasppery-PI/113231381729?hash=item1a5d1dc4e1:g:YfkAAOSwDiBZN502

The ETA on the 6M module I've ordered had been given as the 23rd or 24th of May but it didn't turn up in this morning's post. Hopefully, it'll be here later this morning, possibly along a few other bits I'd ordered to overcome the absence of on-board usb and SMA sockets.

The lack of an on-board usb port will provide me an opportunity to slum it with the serial port crowd and expand my experience. The most difficult problem I'd had to overcome with the now broken module had been in setting up the USB port sharing in my winXP VM (host os is Linux Mint 17.1). After that, it was plain sailing.

I've never used a USB to serial adapter ever, so it'll be a new experience. The only thing I know of these USB adapters is what I've read and what I've read has generally not been good, seemingly due to incompetent chip implementations by Prolific and others, hence my ordering PL, CH340 and FTDI chipped adapters to try and sidestep the compatibility issues that seem to be a common theme in end users' tales of woe with these adapters. AFAICR, the FTDI chipped adapters seemed to be the least problematical.

With a bit of luck, I should be able to set up a USB link to the NEO-6M module without too many tears of frustration. If all else fails, I suppose I could fit a DB9 backplate and use the COM port header connection on the MoBo to access a real serial port (I'm sure I've still got a few serial cables knocking around somewhere on the premises).

These backplate adapters were wired in two different configurations so I'll have identify the correct backplate to install before I can even begin sorting out a connecting cable and deal with the voltage level/polarity issues that may be involved.

The last time I had any dealings with RS232 was 5 or 6 years ago when I lashed up a basic three wire link to my ancient APC SmartUPSes via their bastardised DB9 'serial ports'. My main concern in this case is in dealing with a potentially fatal incompatibility between a TTL level interface and an RS232 bi-polar 5 or 12 volt level interface on the PC side of the link. USB may have its driver software issues but at least there's no such danger over the wired connection itself. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it working with at least one of the USB adapters I ordered and avoid the hassle of setting up an RS232 interface.

JBG

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:30:41 am by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2019, 04:17:56 am »
 That NEO-6M module turned up a day late on the Saturday, along with the Prolific and FTDI USB serial adapters (the CH340 and the SMA to IPEC pigtail had arrived on Friday). I spent most of Saturday afternoon and evening sorting out the USB adapters, mostly the same old same old business of getting the VBox USB settings sorted out before I could install the windows drivers.

I'd prepped up the GPS module (it had needed a 5 pin header soldering to it - one wasn't supplied but I have a small stock to cover such parsimony) and applied 5v power and plugged the SMA pigtail into its IPEC socket (when I first saw that pigtail on the Friday morning, it had seemed far too small for the job) so I could test it with my external active patch antenna to see if it would indicate satellite lock on its PPS LED as an initial check. , It obliged with the default setting of 1 Hz 10% duty cycle inverted output by the usual winking excessively bright LED. So far, so good.

I tried the Prolific adapter first on account the serial cable was handily terminated with four individual header connectors which allowed me to connect to the header pins directly. Other than the usual faff with VBox's USB settings, I'd had no problems other than a small suspicion that my not being able to reprogram the Timepulse 5 setting to give me 10MHz output might have been due to a weird compatibility issue despite being able to monitor its activity. My suspicion was swiftly dispelled once I'd gone through the VBox USB faff all over again to set up the FTDI adapter which made no difference to what I was seeing.

After spending several fruitless hours trying to get something more useful than a 1Hz 10% inverted duty cycle out of the PPS line, I eventually proved it was the module itself simply ignoring commands it didn't recognise by discovering I could filter satellites in and out of the picture at will by changing the elevation angle mask value over the range of 5 to 55 degrees.

It seems that 6M module is either a fake or else an old enough version that doesn't support the TP5 commands. The best I could do was to reduce the pulse period to its 1ms minimum in the timepulse menu, along with a reduction of the pulse length to 0.5ms to give me a 1KHz square wave. I've yet to dig out u-blox's data sheet on this ancient module to figure out whether I got my money's worth or was simply cheated with a fake. Its sensitivity isn't all that far behind that of the M8N so, who knows?

I'm glad I took the precaution of ordering an SMA to IPEC pigtail because the supplied active ceramic antenna proved to be remarkably deaf. Indeed, deafer than that passive patch antenna I'd removed from the M8N module a month or so back. To put not too fine a point on it, it was even deafer than the SMA to IPEC pigtail when disconnected from my external antenna. I'd had to cup my hands around the module to force it to lose lock so I could check the response to my attempts at trying to program the TP5 settings. If I didn't keep it shielded for long enough after losing lock, it would jolly well resurrect its lost satellites!

Once I'd convinced myself that I wasn't going to get a PPS signal any higher than a mere 1KHz out of this module, I set it up alongside my 'scope and the FY6600 to see whether I could make any use of that 1KHz square wave. It turns out that it can still be used as the trigger reference to compare the 10MHz output from the signal generator. It's a little bit touchy but I was able to prove that the OCXO was only 85ppt adrift after the four or five days I'd been forced to leave it to stew shortly after adjusting it to within 100ppt just prior to my damaging the original M8N module.

I'd revamped the foam rubber insulation around the OCXO module, including adding a layer to the underside of its PCB in order to stabilise against unwanted random 'wind chill' effects from the fan driven cooling air flow just prior to my last attempt at calibrating it. It seems to have worked quite well.

I'll power everything down again (the OCXO stays powered up whilst the sig genny is plugged into the mains though) and see if the NEO-6M loses its settings by the time I rise from my slumbers. The mini supercap (60 to 80 milli-Farads) drops below the 1.4v data retention threshold of the BBRAM after only an hour or so at most. If it has hung onto its settings after 6 or more hours, it's a safe bet that it does possess flash ram after all. I'll know for sure one way or the other soon enough.

JBG

John

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2019, 06:00:48 am »
Lady Heather talks to all Ublox GPS modules (start with the /rxu command line option to make sure the module is speaking Ublox Binary... uninitalized modules power up in NMEA mode).  Heather's "P" menu lets you set the timepulse outputs.

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2019, 09:34:00 pm »
Lady Heather talks to all Ublox GPS modules (start with the /rxu command line option to make sure the module is speaking Ublox Binary... uninitalized modules power up in NMEA mode).  Heather's "P" menu lets you set the timepulse outputs.

Thank you very much! I just voted a thank you to be sure that your reply had been appreciated even if I were to drop dead suddenly before issuing this little missive. :) I don't know why I didn't do that sooner, like two or three hours back after D/L and installing LH into my winXP VM. I guess I'd gotten rather too pre-occupied with searching out the command line switches and related key entered commands to remember to hit the 'thank you' button. Never mind, better late than never and better a more considered reply than a hasty note of thanks (though I suspect some folk here would rather I did the latter rather than the former :-\).

It's an interesting take on u-blox's idea of a GPS programming and monitoring interface in their u-centre application. Of course LH is rather more pre-occupied with the DO aspect of the GPSDO concoction.  :) As far as I've been able to discern, you're the author of this rather nifty freeware for which I'm grateful. If I've managed to grab hold of the wrong end of the stick in reaching this conclusion, then please set me straight and accept my profuse apologies for any embarrassment I may have caused.

I suppose I should have searched out this little gem before attempting to program non-existing features - it would have saved me several hours of pointless testing:-

https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/NEO-6_ProductSummary_%28GPS.G6-HW-09003%29.pdf

Believe it or not, I only just thought to track down this nugget of information just after I'd written the previous paragraph!  :-[  Never mind, at least it confirms my eventual conclusions over the lack of any TP5 support which is implied in the configuration menu in the u-centre application even when you've chosen the specific receiver generation which could have been used to trim out the 'dead features' from the all too inclusive list that covers every possible u-blox GPS module model and variant.  >:(

At a penny shy of just four quid, I can hardly complain since it's doing exactly what u-blox says it does 'on the tin'. The seller wasn't entirely to blame (only partially) since I could've so easily discovered that pdf before hitting the 'pay button'. In any case, the 1KHz limit isn't really a problem against its use in a DIY GPSDO where the end result hardly depends on whether you're limited to a 1Hz reference or have the freedom to choose a 10 or 100 KHz or a 1MHz reference where you need a long time constant filter to iron out the sawtooth corrections anyway. Being able to program that M8N module to output 10MHz was just a convenient way to access a quick 'n' dirty calibration signal and I'm way past that stage now.  :D

I'm pretty certain that I can't push the PPS line beyond the 1KHz limit I'd discovered using the u-centre app by using Heather's P command - it's simply a hard limit that's been baked into the non-upgradable firmware. It's interesting to see it correctly displayed as a 1KHz PPS though.

Your hints on command line switches helped considerably in seeing results almost straight away. I just found myself adding a bunch of other command switches to the desktop shortcut piece by piece until I got it in tune with my timezone and desired screen size.

I've taken a photo of my test setup and a screen-shot (after finally rediscovering the GLP command to anonymize my location data) which I've attached for added 'entertainment value'.

JBG

PS  btw, I forgot to explain the breadboard setup which I was merely using as a convenient way to link the FTDI USB to serial adapter on the left, to the GPS module. The other bits 'n' bobs are just the remains of my earlier experiments, left in place for convenient 'storage' - I might need them for more experiments.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:05:23 am by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2019, 05:14:57 pm »
It'll be interesting to see what you and jpb think of them once you've had a chance to check them out.
They arrived a little while ago but I've only now had a chance to look at them.

Measuring the first one:

With 12V applied they produce a nice sine wave though the magnitude is a little low.

It is 1Vrms into 10Mohms but only 1Vpp into 50 ohms.

The reference voltage is 5.1V approximately.

The frequency varies ok with the control voltage, it varies enough to show up on my Oscilloscope counter (my main counter is tied up with my ongoing ADEV measurements on my GPSDOs).

The current draw is 70 mA after warming up.

I'll update this if the other three are different.

The second one is similar except the current dropped to 11mA then went back up beyond 130mA before settling a bit in the range 73 to 80 mA and finally settling at 75mA.

The frequency is < 10MHz at 0V and > 10MHz at 5V so a 5.1V reference level is probably right.

The third one is the same.

BUT the fourth one is duff! It draws the same sort of current (340mA to start and then goes down to below 100mA but it produces no RF output and the reference voltage is approximately zero (a few mV).

I suppose 3 out of 4 isn't bad but it does push up the average cost - I'll contact the seller on ebay.

Edit: the seller has very promptly offered to send me a replacement.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:52:37 pm by jpb »

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2019, 04:46:07 pm »
 Thanks jpb,

Other than for your receiving a broken unit (kudos to the seller btw), that pretty well echoes my findings too. Strangely, the warm up current closely matches what I see with the original 13MHz unit I'd bought at the radioham rally just because it was an OCXO (the only one I managed to track down) and it happened to be so cheap (at a mere 4 quid, even if I'd been wrong about how easy/difficult it would be to generate an OCXO sourced 10MHz, just the mere ownership alone of an OCXO I could experiment with would have justified the purchase).

I hark back to that chance purchase because it basically kicked off my modest collection of these CQE 12v 10MHz OCXOs as well as giving me some additional insight into the characteristics of these units. I rather doubt that the oven heater is anything more than a TO220 power transistor (heater resistor elements would just add another point of failure and the 65 to 85 deg C temperatures used are well within the limits of a silicon transistor's thermal ratings), so the constant current draw I noticed when trying different voltages on the 13MHz unit (4.8 to a brief peak of 7.8 volts or so) was  revealing if no great surprise. Unfortunately, this characteristic just muddied the waters when it came to determining whether that first unit was a 5 or 12 volt part.

Once I realised just how piss-poor the performance of those LDO regulators used by the breadboard PSU adapter was and applied the necessary mod to mitigate the resulting low voltage (a mere 4.8v after the OCXO finally came up to temperature some eight minutes after power up), I was more or less convinced that it could only be a 5 volt part after all (at a starting voltage less than the 4.75v minimum, it was no wonder it took a good 3 or 4 minutes before I could even see any oscillator activity). Once it was being hit with 5.13v from the start, it generated output within milliseconds of my applying power although it still took almost a full eight minutes to warm up.

Although I tested the first three 10MHz units using my now improved 5v breadboard psu adapter (it does both 5 and 3.3  voltage levels), I jumped straight to the 9 volts of the wallwart I'd chosen to power the breadboard psu adapter after seeing a very low sine wave output gradually emerge from each of those first three 10MHz units I'd initially purchased. I was a little less cautious in risking an over-voltage induced burn out on these parts since I had an extra two to spare from the consequences of such a rash action (no such luxury with the original 13MHz unit).

I've since worked out that once all of these OCXOs (including that 13MHz unit) have reached their operating temperature, they settle down to around the 800mW mark give or take 50mW (around a 100mW less when cocooned in a layer of foam rubber to minimise random wind chill effects and thermal loading in my much modified fan cooled FY6600). The 12v units current limit around the 300mA mark versus the 280mA of the 5 volt one which incidentally draws around 190mA off a 4.8v supply when up to temperature and about 170 when powered with 5.13v and insulated with a foam rubber jacket. My 12v 10MHz OCXOs, like yours, also dropped down to around the 70 to 75mA mark

The only reason I'm pretty sure the original is a 5 volt one, in spite of the penalty of a very protracted 8 minutes warm up (versus a 2 1/2 minute warm up for the 10MHz 12v units) to suggest otherwise, is the fact of its 3Vpp sq wave which looked like it was increasing in voltage in direct proportion to the applied supply voltage (ie. a 10Vpp for a 12v supply... in theory - a theory I wasn't going to put to the test) whilst the 10MHz units were producing a 4Vpp sine wave at 12v into a Hi Z load.

I don't think I bothered testing the last four OCXOs at 5 volt since the first three had all shown (eventually) a low level sub 2Vpp on-frequency sine wave output (which had neatly answered the question I'd posed in my earlier posting, "Can you still get an output from a 12v OCXO even when powered from just 5 volts?").

One noteworthy thing about these CQE labelled OCXOs is their remarkably avant garde low power consumption once warmed up. less than 900mW versus the 3 or 4 watts typically mentioned in regard of OCXOs in earlier threads on this subject here and elsewhere during the past five years. This reduction in power consumption doesn't seem to have compromised their performance since I've seen less than 200ppt drift with the one I fitted to the FY6600 over a week ago, confirmed by similar stability, despite the al fresco conditions with a breadboard lash up for a couple of the other 10MHz OCXOs I've been testing with these past two or three days.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the tuning voltage range isn't limited by the Ref voltage. The actual limit seems to be diode clamping to the ground and the supply rails rather than to the ground and ref voltage rails. I found this out when testing with a PP3 9v supply to the tuning pot on the 13MHz 5 volt unit where I saw the voltage clamping to 5 volt, rather than the 3.3v of the Ref pin voltage and subsequently being able to tune using the 12v rail to supply the tuning pot to go beyond the limit imposed by the circa 5.1v Ref pin voltage.

I happen to be using the 5.09v Vref pin voltage to supply the trimpot on the one I'm using in my FY6600 but you're not limited by this, you can use the full 12v supply voltage for tuning these OCXOs (presumably, the official 0 to 10v tuning range given in the data sheet for the Vectron units).

This is just as well considering that the on-frequency tuning voltages on the 7 units in my possession ranged from a low of 2.32 to a high of 4.51 volts!  :) As for the 5v 13MHz unit, its ref voltage  falls short of the required 3.41 tuning voltage by around 10mV the last time I checked (I suspect the Vref in this case is meant to be 3.30v versus the 5.0v of the 12v units).

TBH, despite its convenience in the case of the one being used in the FY6600, I'm not quite sure how these Vref pin voltages are intended to be used. I suspect they're more intended as a reference for a 16 or 32 volt rated RRO opamp to drive a stabilised supply to a tuning pot or other RRO opamp driven from a PLL phase detector or DAC. You're not obliged to use the Vref as a tuning supply voltage directly (or even at all). They just seem to be there as a courtesy 'convenience feature'.

As it happens, I'm now poised to install a couple of the three 74HCT390 dual decade divider chips I ordered last week which turned up yesterday (rather than this Monday/Tuesday) into my breadboard lash up. I want to test my u-blox NEO-6M GPS module (limited to a maximum of 1KHz on its PPS output pin) with a PLL and my 13MHz OCXO (chosen to avoid having to mix 12 and 5 volt supplies on my breadboard setup).

That's a choice I'm beginning to regret since it took me all of the wee small hours to reassemble the  times two to divide by 13 to times five conversion required to generate the 10MHz with this 13MHz OCXO (effectively a divide by 1.3 - I've done it once before - how hard can it be? - a lot harder when you forget to apply a logic zero to the 'clear' pin of the '193 which is an active high input rather than an active low as per most of the other inputs, :palm:).

The only saving grace in this case being that I'd managed by chance to have already programmed the correct preload value to count down in a divide by 13 ratio. :). However, by that time (05:55 BST), I thought it best I get an "Early Night"(tm) and put in a good six hours of Zeds before resuming this milestone project (it'll be the very first time that'll I'll be attempting to actually phase lock an OCXO to a GPS module!).

However, as I've mentioned, I'm regretting doing this and think I now don't have enough space to add the extra 3 or 4 chips required to complete this project. I'm now considering how to make it a "13MHz reference" to avoid the 12/5 volt mixed supplies issue or else put up with the inconvenience and small risk involved (it's only the OCXO that needs a 12v feed - the 5 volt derived tuning voltage will do the job just fine with my hand picked OCXO and the output is capacitor coupled anyway).

In a way, it's a little unfortunate that these 10MHz CQE OCXOs are able to produce a usable, if a little on the low side, frequency output off just a 5 volt supply since this doesn't offer such a defining distinction between  the 12 and 5 volt versions, leaving me only with a bunch of other circumstantial evidence as a guide to my current determination as to the 13MHz OCXO's "Voltageness".

Since it seems to work fine, once the rather protracted warm up period has expired (the price of a low peak power 5 volted version of a CQE OCXO it would seem), I'll let discretion remain the best part of valour in this case (I've subsequently seen the destructive effect of 12 volts misapplied to a 3.3v part already, thank you very much, dear Lord Murphy  :'( ).

I've attached some photos of the current project. Please note the loose white wire bottom right in the first picture. This is the tuning connection to the TCXO, poised for connection to the filtered output from a phase comparator when I finally get to that stage. This means the TCXO hasn't been trimmed to frequency, hence the last picture. Also, the NEO-6M is simply parked on the board awaiting connection into the final circuit which will probably not feature the two 3N502 multipliers or even a 13MHz TCXO if I do finally decide to risk mixing 12 and 5 volt supplies.

JBG
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:53:54 pm by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2019, 06:39:35 pm »
Regarding the reference Voltage, I've noticed with a number of OCXOs it is set to rather less than the total tunining range (e.g. around 7V or so when the range is up to 10V). In this case the 5.1V (or 5.09V to be more precise) seems to be roughly twice the initial tuning voltage for 10MHz (based on what I measured on my not very precise counter on my oscilloscope).

I would have thought that dual power supplies (12V and say 5V or 3.3V) wouldn't be too much of a problem as the 5V parts are presumably very low current compared with the OCXO so a simple linear regulator chip with a couple of capacitors  would be ok and doesn't add much to the number of components.

I admire your tenacity in working with the 13MHz part. I have a number of 13MHz OCXOs some of which are quite good but if I was to use them in a GPSDO I'd probably make it a 1MHz one (divide by 13) or perhaps have a second PLL with a 10MHz crystal.

The 13MHz parts are all from GSM systems I think where it is an exact multiple of the bit rate (according to Wikipedia). I wondered if it was possible to try locking onto a GSM signal but I suspect that idea is a non-starter (having got these 13MHz OCXOs because they were cheap  I am now hunting around for applications!)

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2019, 04:58:59 pm »
Regarding the reference Voltage, I've noticed with a number of OCXOs it is set to rather less than the total tunining range (e.g. around 7V or so when the range is up to 10V). In this case the 5.1V (or 5.09V to be more precise) seems to be roughly twice the initial tuning voltage for 10MHz (based on what I measured on my not very precise counter on my oscilloscope).

I would have thought that dual power supplies (12V and say 5V or 3.3V) wouldn't be too much of a problem as the 5V parts are presumably very low current compared with the OCXO so a simple linear regulator chip with a couple of capacitors  would be ok and doesn't add much to the number of components.

I admire your tenacity in working with the 13MHz part. I have a number of 13MHz OCXOs some of which are quite good but if I was to use them in a GPSDO I'd probably make it a 1MHz one (divide by 13) or perhaps have a second PLL with a 10MHz crystal.

The 13MHz parts are all from GSM systems I think where it is an exact multiple of the bit rate (according to Wikipedia). I wondered if it was possible to try locking onto a GSM signal but I suspect that idea is a non-starter (having got these 13MHz OCXOs because they were cheap  I am now hunting around for applications!)

'Scope based frequency counters leave a lot to be desired, even the 6 digit hardware ones as used in the SDS1202X-E I bought just over six months ago (that read 30Hz high to begin with but now seems to be within 10Hz of actual, presumably due to the XO reference having now aged itself closer to its design frequency).

Since I've upgraded the cheap 'Ten a Penny' smd xo chip used by Feeltech in their otherwise excellent, penny pinching cost cutting deficiencies aside, FY6600 to a 10MHz OCXO with 3N502 clock multiplier to improve the original 50MHz reference by a good five orders of magnitude of accuracy and six orders of magnitude of stability, the 'scope counter is now merely a useful sanity check that the signal it's locked onto is in the right ball park (never mind 'the ball park' - I've been chasing down measurements in the ppt range for the past month now - ppb accuracies are now just a memory of my earlier ambitions).  :)

It's true that providing stable regulated DC voltages in a multi-rail setup is now routine thanks to LDOs of various types, the big problem when it comes to frequency stability measured in ppt, is that the once insignificant voltage changes on these rails due to variations in loading can no longer be tolerated when it comes to OCXO tuning voltages. The classic way to obviate this is simply to use a separate regulator dedicated to only this function, preferably one that is itself powered from another regulator at a voltage between the relatively unstable supply (12v to 9v LDO feeding a 5 or 3.3 volt LDO or even a separate mains to 12vdc smpsu feeding a 9v then 5v with possibly even a 3.3v LDO hung off the end of that chain.

The OCXO manufacturers are obviously aware of this demanding requirement so will typically offer the internal LDO's output on a Vref pin (it only has to supply some 10 to 15mA at most to the constant load from the XO itself - I've noticed the undershoot of the heater current during initial warm up dropping to a steady 14mA minimum before the temperature control turns the heater transistor current back on in both the 5 and 12 volt CQE OCXOs - as I mentioned earlier, this is one of the insights I gained into the inner workings of these CQE OCXOs  :)).

In most cases, this can be used directly to feed a 50K trimming pot or a cmos RRO opamp/dac arrangement, free of the millivolt variations of the general 5 or 3.3 volt supply rail. Failing that (the voltage isn't high enough for example) it can be used as an amplified reference voltage with another suitable cmos RRO opamp to create a higher tuning voltage supply with a stability matching that of the OCXO's internal oscillator supply voltage. As you said, it's only a minor complication to provide a separate dedicated tuning voltage supply, free of the effects from the rest of the GPSDO's loading on the main power supply rail.

Thanks for noting my 'tenacity' with recreating a functioning divide by 13 circuit out of a '193 IC.  :) Putting aside my oversight of the need to ground the clear input pin, it's not difficult to convert the 13MHz into a 1 or 10 MHz sq wave frequency reference (the 10MHz option requires at least one 3N502 multiply by five chip and a frequency doubler to make sure it gets a 2MHz input (the 3N502 isn't specced for input clocks below 2MHz - I used another '502 to double up the 13MHz before feeding the divide by 13 circuit to meet this 2MHz requirement but a simple RC delayed input XOR gate frequency doubler would have done the job, saving that extra '502 for more productive use elsewhere). I wouldn't be quite so quick to discount those cheap 13MHz OCXOs as a substitute for a 10MHz reference oscillator if I were in your position, unless you've got a surfeit of 10MHz OCXOs to hand of course. :)

In the end, I stripped the '502s out of the circuit leaving just the '193 to convert the 13MHz into a 1MHz signal which I then fed into one and a half '390s to feed a simple '86 based PD with the required 1KHz to lock to the NEO-6M's 1KHz output from its PPS line. At this stage of the game, any "reference frequency output" will do for my current purpose - I'm just trying to get a functioning PLL circuit proven. Even with this chip count reduction, it was still a tight fit on my prototyping breadboard but I was able to get results of a sort. I rather suspect I might be needing an inverting buffer amplifier between the output from the RC filtered PD output and the tuning control pin on the OCXO.

As it happens, the ten 5v cmos RRO opamps I'd ordered from a Chinaman about a month back did finally turn up last week but I need to mount one on a SOT to DIP adapter board before I can add it to my breadboard lashup. In the meantime, I did try cheating a solution to this suspected requirement by using a spare XOR gate as an instant phase reverser for one of the PD's inputs (clutching at straws rearguard action on my part) by feeding one of the input signals into an input pin of a spare gate in the '86 IC and grounding the other input to change it from a logic high (internal pullup) to a logic low as an easy and convenient means to effect instant phase reversals at will. Needless to say, it didn't really make a useful difference in spite of it producing an immediate (and initially promising) effect.

When it had seemingly 'locked up', I could see that the GPS was doing something useful by disconnecting the antenna which then caused the frequency to drift rapidly from the target frequency when satellite lock had been lost, followed by a rapid shift back onto frequency when lock was regained after reconnecting the antenna. The PD circuit was obviously doing something but it had a tendency to slip inexorably out of lock, first to the high side then to the low side over periods of 10 to 15 minutes.

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. I have many theories and contenders by way of poor component choice(s) to play around with. It's basically a negative feedback setup so one might think there'd be a lot of latitude in component value selection. However, I'm aware of the issue of 'phase stability' in such negative feedback loops turning them into positive feedback loops at critical frequencies when the gain can equal or exceed unity. Creating stable negative feedback networks can prove more difficult to achieve than it appears on the face of it and I obviously need to study this problem some more.

One possibility is that the rather ancient, original TTL 7486 XOR gate I'm using isn't really suited to this PD circuit but it was the only '86 I could find in my four decades old collection to test with. I've got a five piece set of the more modern 74HC86s headed towards these shores on the slow boat from China at just 99p the lot (as opposed to the silly money being asked per single IC by the greedy, profiteering UK dealers - I'd hoped my single 7486 chip would save me the indignity of going to one of these UK dealers, begging bowl in hand - it may do so even yet, given enough lateral thinking).

Of course, there's also the effect of the jumper styled wiring used on such prototyping breadboards, along with the less than reliable contact performance and the problems of arranging for effective high frequency bypassing of the supply voltage feeds to the ICs used to contend with. Then, in this case, comes the issue of the quality of the 220, 22 and 1 microfarad Al electrolytics I used (taken from a PD circuit from off the web), any one of which could be contributing excessive leakage effects.

Reassembling with the original components, Manhatten 'dead bug' style on a piece of groundplane PCB might instantly cure the prototyping breadboard issues but, since the high frequency digital processing circuitry seems to have survived such indiscretions of construction and I'm now dealing with a mere 1KHz (admittedly sq wave) signal, I'm not so sure such an improvement in the reduction of high resistance connections and unwanted lead inductances would do much for the PD circuit in this case.

However, I do recall the time when I was 'breadboarding' my design of a 200W RMS per 4 ohm loaded channel bridged output PA design some 50 years back onto tag board, soldered connections al fresco layout (better than the current prototyping breadboard setup) and experiencing strange instability issues which had me convinced that the only way to properly test it out would be to commit it to a PCB (hand drawn and etched with ferric chloride in my workshop) which conclusion turned out to be correct, so there may yet be some mileage in going this route after all, as unlikely as that would appear. :-\

BTW, my 'phase lock loop' appears to have stabilised (I powered it all back up about an hour ago) but at a 100mHz offset from the FY6600's 13MHz setting. There's a slow but quite discernible drift with the control voltage sat at 3.26v at the moment (it can swing, for no apparent reason, between some 2 and 4 volts). I know that the drift should be a barely discernible 10mHz or so when 'locked' which makes the resulting "locked" state, quite frankly,  rather inexplicable. :-// I know this isn't the locked state because if I trigger directly from the PPS output, the 13MHz Sinc pulse waveform takes some 5 to 10 minutes to slip one full cycle rather than the ten seconds or so that it's doing right now.

Never mind, it's a result of sorts... I've just noticed it was starting another trip to the high frequency end of its range (I've now got a 50K pot wired to the tuning control line to limit the extreme excursions in the hope it would lend some stability - it helps a little but it doesn't cure this 'locked to not exactly the correct frequency' syndrome). I disconnected the antenna to force loss of satellite lock and, sure enough, when this happens it suddenly jumps up in frequency and then drops back onto its 100mHz above frequency 'lock' state when satellite lock is regained.

To my mind this "almost works properly" is a really weird effect, I would have expected it to either work or else keep dancing from one extreme to the other without any pause close to the desired frequency. I wasn't expecting this sort of behaviour from this circuit so it's quite a conundrum.  |O

JBG
John

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2019, 05:14:37 pm »

'Scope based frequency counters leave a lot to be desired, even the 6 digit hardware ones as used in the SDS1202X-E I bought just over six months ago (that read 30Hz high to begin with but now seems to be within 10Hz of actual, presumably due to the XO reference having now aged itself closer to its design frequency).

The one on my WaveJet is pretty good (within its limitations). It has consistently read 9.99998MHz for 10MHz over the time I've had it (about 5 years) so when the tuning had it go from 9.99997 to 9.99999 I was pretty sure it was going through 10MHz. Obviously it would be better to use my proper counter but for a quick look it works well. It is certainly a lot better than the frequency read out on the scope itself (based on the waveforms).

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2019, 10:24:35 pm »
Not sure if this fits in this thread but since there are a lot of experienced GPSDOers here....  (and maybe the power supply should be a consideration in "what do you want from a GPSDO?")….

Has anyone measured the impact of simple switching power supplies vs. linear supplies on the performance of GPSDOs?  Does anyone have any insight regarding to what extent ripple impacts GPSDO performance?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf