Author Topic: What do you want from a GPSDO?  (Read 23120 times)

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What do you want from a GPSDO?
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 08:27:09 am »
I guess it's hard to please everyone...
  • uBlox is constantly releasing new products, is there a common interface so the GNSS-chip/module can be pluggable? F9P, F9T, etc. etc. just out
  • Can you make a board which takes many different local oscillators? There should be an option to go from ~5 eur VCXO (ABLNO?) to  ~50eur (e.g. connor-winfield) OCXO's, to high-end 500eur OCXO (Morion etc)
  • Ethernet connectivity and monitoring over SNMP is nice, for permanent lab deployment. DAC-voltage etc. should be something that can be logged.
  • If the future GNSS-modules are dual-frequency and spit out raw measurement data then a suitable data-bus to the GPSDO-uC/brains and ability to push that out over Ethernet (RTCM?) starts to be interesting for prosumer/pro tinkering.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2019, 08:33:08 am »
These are probably the cheapest on ebay at the moment: http://www.ebay.com/itm/163064988493

And, come with all the cables and additional ewaste goodness :-)

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2019, 08:45:26 am »
These are probably the cheapest on ebay at the moment: http://www.ebay.com/itm/163064988493
And, come with all the cables and additional ewaste goodness :-)

Can you get even two of the fans at the back new from farnell/digikey for $29   :-DD

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2019, 08:46:49 am »

There is no such things as a "cheap" GPSDO. Perhaps "good enough for the price".
OXCOs are either expensive, small and consume very little power or are cheaper (by almost an order of magnitude) ,  old, bulky and a little on the power hungry (comparatively speaking ) side .

There are plenty (more than 2 ) published designs out there that can be built using 1PPS or 10KHz from a cheap GPS module ($10-$25), a surplus OCXO (like a 10811 for about $100) and a control board for about $20-$30  in parts.     

The Trueposition GPSDO was around $50  and the Samsung/Symmetricom/Trimble "UCCM" GPSDOs can be had for less than $100.  The Samsung, in particular,  is surprisingly good.
That is indeed cheap in dollars for qty 1    ...but who ends up with just one ? :)
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 10:09:28 am »
are some one know anything about this offer :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/163064988493
beside use the GPS module ?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 10:37:56 am »
Last photos are of the inside.  The module is top left.  Right beside one of the fans, which answers a number of questions on should they be insulated to keep the oven at a constant temperature.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:41:53 am by Towger »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 06:10:17 pm »
Derive the 1PPS output from the 10MHz and not directly from the GPS. I have a BG7TBL GPSDO and the 1PPS output wanders around for 100ns.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 06:14:59 pm »
Derive the 1PPS output from the 10MHz and not directly from the GPS. I have a BG7TBL GPSDO and the 1PPS output wanders around for 100ns.

If you do that, pay attention to syncing the PPS output to UTC time... not an easy thing to do.  PPS needs to be stable AND on time.   Just dividing the 10 MHz down will yield a PPS with some random offset to UTC.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 07:48:03 pm »
Jamming the 1pps divider of the 10MHz output to phase lock with UTC will be a fun challenge but I agree this is a good idea.  It is a small step from this to allowing a programmed positive or negative delay to compensate for any cable propagation times although a timing GPS should support this already.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 08:25:40 pm »
A PPS output that is not synced to UTC is a pretty useless signal.   There are not many use cases for an unsynced PPS output.   I don't know of any DIY GPSDOs that implement a proper PPS output.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 01:03:42 am »
A PPS output that is not synced to UTC is a pretty useless signal.   There are not many use cases for an unsynced PPS output.   I don't know of any DIY GPSDOs that implement a proper PPS output.

There not not many use cases but the problem identified by nctnico is that practically all GPS receivers provide a time synced PPS output which has considerable jitter and it would be nice to instead regenerate this PPS output based on the jitter free 10MHz disciplined oscillator which will require some care to maintain sync with UTC.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 04:31:15 am »

There not not many use cases but the problem identified by nctnico is that practically all GPS receivers provide a time synced PPS output which has considerable jitter and it would be nice to instead regenerate this PPS output based on the jitter free 10MHz disciplined oscillator which will require some care to maintain sync with UTC.

Here is a histogram log of the PPS output of a Thunderbolt GPSDO.   PPS jitter is around +/- 1.2 nsec (+/- 800 psec 99% of the time).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:33:52 am by texaspyro »

Offline rfspezi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2019, 08:12:00 am »
I haven't looked at the M8F variant or specs but I have done some playing with the M8N. Depending on what frequencies you are going to try and generate other than a PPS the 8N suffers badly from Jitter. While my HP Counters measure 10MHz correctly against my GPSDO the Waveform is shocking at that point.

I just re did some testing here and it only works reasonably at integer divided frequencies of 24MHz (Max spec is 10Mhz but 12 is still reasonable) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2246022/#msg2246022

Where exactly did you get the information about the 24MHz from?
A link would be helpful.
Thanks

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 08:54:04 am »
I haven't looked at the M8F variant or specs but I have done some playing with the M8N. Depending on what frequencies you are going to try and generate other than a PPS the 8N suffers badly from Jitter. While my HP Counters measure 10MHz correctly against my GPSDO the Waveform is shocking at that point.

I just re did some testing here and it only works reasonably at integer divided frequencies of 24MHz (Max spec is 10Mhz but 12 is still reasonable) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2246022/#msg2246022

Where exactly did you get the information about the 24MHz from?
A link would be helpful.
Thanks

I have forgotten the original source, there is a youtube video on it too. Certainly backed up by testing, the spec is listed as 10MHz max but 12 is clean as is 8. I have had a breadboard play with a PLL but as to be expected not usable and I haven't had a play with a soldered option.

Quick three videos/captures just for reference. Terminated into 50 \$\Omega\$ 10Meg followed by 8 and 12. Full Bandwidth so no filtering.
https://youtu.be/77B80MOPc8w
https://youtu.be/TOKRDG19PxU
https://youtu.be/ozflNHosEQs
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:59:32 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: rfspezi

Offline rfspezi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 09:21:24 am »
@beanflying:
Is it correct, that when i set the output-frequency of the NEO-M8N to 10kHz (=24MHz/2400) i will get a clean signal aswell or does this only apply to binary divisors (2/4/8...) ?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 09:33:57 am »
If you do that, pay attention to syncing the PPS output to UTC time... not an easy thing to do.  PPS needs to be stable AND on time.   Just dividing the 10 MHz down will yield a PPS with some random offset to UTC.
Resetting the divider when the 1PPS is more than 2 10MHz cycles off fixes that. You could get fancy and do some averaging but such a circuit is likely to introduce extra jitter.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2019, 09:40:41 am »
@beanflying:
Is it correct, that when i set the output-frequency of the NEO-M8N to 10kHz (=24MHz/2400) i will get a clean signal aswell or does this only apply to binary divisors (2/4/8...) ?

10kHz capture. Just grab one and have a play, cheap GPS fun. add an FTDI or similar USB 3.3V board and enjoy.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: rfspezi

Offline rfspezi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2019, 06:53:09 pm »
I just set my NEO-M8N to output 8 MHz and checked the signal on the scope.
What i observe are a bunch of 20ns longer high-pulses every approx. 1 second.
Setting the frequency somewhere between 10 and 8000 Hz higher lets these pulses completely disappear.

Does this mean, that instead of adjusting the 24MHz oscillator, only the output is digitally adjusted?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:16:32 pm by rfspezi »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 02:23:59 am »
A bit OT but as a result of a PM I tried upgrading my year old M8N to the newer V3 firmware. While it may or may not have the Flash under the cover it seems there may also be a need for a Hardware upgrade to allow it to work. Not sure if this stops the upgrade from being allowed by U-Center but mine certainly wasn't happening. One of the reasons to maybe want it is to use the Galileo Satellites but mine on the Bench in the Shack is getting data from 8-10+ on the stock antenna as is so at least for me a non issue.

3 Description of Change The affected products may be identified according to the Type Number as follows: Product Type No Firmware version Remarks
NEO-M8N-0-01 (old) FW2.01
NEO-M8N-0-10 (new) FW SPG3.01 Hardware modifications apply

3.1 FW upgrade From the date indicated below (section 4) a new firmware release will be applied to the above Affected Products in production. FW SPG3.01 offers Galileo reception, improved BeiDou performance and many other new features. For full change details, see FW SPG3.01 Release Note [1], NEO-M8N Data Sheet [2], and other documents listed in section 6. 3.2 Hardware modifications

3.2.1 PCB change As u-blox is committed to highest product quality, the NEO-M8N PCB has been changed to improve the field reliability of the NEO-M8N module.

3.2.2 Weak signal reception improvement The implementation of a minor internal hardware modification (signal filtering) on four digital control lines will further improve GNSS reception when using a near-by passive antenna in very weak signal conditions. 

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 07:15:19 pm »
The Samsung, in particular,  is surprisingly good.

There are a couple of different Samsungs. The STP2945LF which has a smaller oscillator than the STP2878LF (Double Oven???).  In the examples for sale, both appear touse the UBlox LEA6T-1-001 xx. 

Do you know that the difference between them is and which is better? 

Their age appears to over lap, I assume using the xx in the UBlox part number is the revision, so higher = newer/better?

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2019, 03:56:49 am »
I just set my NEO-M8N to output 8 MHz and checked the signal on the scope.
What i observe are a bunch of 20ns longer high-pulses every approx. 1 second.
Setting the frequency somewhere between 10 and 8000 Hz higher lets these pulses completely disappear.

Does this mean, that instead of adjusting the 24MHz oscillator, only the output is digitally adjusted?

I've been experimenting with a NEO-M8N module over the past 3 or 4 weeks since I bought one designed for RPi/Arduino projects and I can confirm that the module simply adds or drops one cycle of its 48MHz TCXO clock signal every half to five seconds or so, depending on where the temperature compensation has managed to steer it back towards its nominal frequency (retrace effect limits the desired effect of temperature compensation in this case).

The pulses are actually some 20.8333ns long (one period of the nominal 48MHz TCXO used in the M8N based modules). Like you, until I started monitoring the 2MHz jitter free output on the PPS line (I plan to multiply this up to a jitter free 10MHz) by triggering my scope with a 2MHz Sinc pulse waveform from my upgraded FY6600 AWG (adjusted by the 10 to 20mHz or so required to minimise the drift between the two traces), I used to naively think the M8N kept it synchronised to GPS time by adjusting the TCXO frequency. It turns out that it's not using quite as subtle a technique as that.

Keeping a 1Hz PPS pulse in sync with GPS time for hundreds of years can be readily achieved using this simple adding or dropping of a clock cycle to the frequency divider input whenever it drifts as much as one full cycle from sync with the GPS time datum, whatever the actual XO or TCXO frequency happens to be. This is exactly the same principle as using leap seconds adjustments to maintain synchronisation with UTC.

The rate at which these corrective phase shifts occur depends on how close to the exact (in this case, 48MHz) frequency the XO or TCXO happens to have settled on. I've seen the rate at which these corrections are applied vary from around two per second to one in more than five seconds with my own GPS module.

I've experimented with temperature changes by blowing cooling air over the module and using the warmth of my hands to warm it up to try and bring the background drift to a halt, slowing the frequency of the corrective jumps but the temperature compensation does seem to rather limit the effects in spite of the retrace issue. I suspect such experimentation with modules relying on just an XO rather than a TCXO will produce more extreme responses.

BTW, when you program PPS frequencies as low as 8 or 10KHz, the only reason you can no longer detect these phase shifts is simply because you've scaled them down by some three orders of magnitude from the 8MHz case where these phase jumps are a mere, yet still problematic, 15 deg. There's no way you're going to see 15 millidegree phase shift jumps on any 'scope you're likely to own.  :) If you care to go to the other extreme, you can program a jitter free PPS frequency of 12MHz and observe 90 degree jumps in phase.

[EDIT]  Belay that! My bad, I managed to misinterpret your statement. I'll get back to this once I've repeated your tests with my own module.

[EDIT2] It looks like all you've done is introduce a non-integer divisor induced jitter component that's masking or smearing out the corrective pad/skip pulse corrections. Methinks the "cure" is worse than the "disease" in this case. :)

I was using a signal generator to trigger the scope on one channel with a Sinc waveform matched to the PPS frequency, adjusted to minimise the drift between them whilst displaying the PPS waveform on the other channel. When I triggered from the PPS signal set to 8010000Hz, I could see faint ghosts of jitter behind the more persistent trace. The best way to observe these corrective phase shifts is by triggering from a basic TCXO or OCXO clocked DDS AWG which can be adjusted to within milliHertz of the desired frequency. I'm guessing this was what you were doing. I'm only mentioning here and now it for the record to benefit any newbies reading this topic.

Using a long time constant PLL to multiply a 10KHz PPS frequency might be a neat way to filter out this phase noise without the expense of a VCOCXO module if you don't mind the lack of a one ppb or better 'hold over' feature, typical of a full blown GPSDO. The NEO M8N can be programmed to output a matching frequency from its TCXO in the event of loss of lock on the GPS and/or Glonass satellite constellations but frequency accuracy will be degraded to that of the TCXO which may be anywhere from +/- 100ppb in error with a 10 to 30 ppb variation with temperature. Better than nothing but nowhere near the normal locked frequency output. However, this may be a cost effective starting option, there's nothing to prevent you adding a VCOCXO module at a later date while you're in charge of the design and build of your very own DIY "GPSDO".  :)

If you're after a cheap solution, a clever way to get a lock/unlock indicator without the minor expense of an Arduino nano is simply to program the free running output to a duty cycle of say 10 to 25 percent and monitor the average DC voltage with a comparator to drive the indicator LED (assuming you use a 50% ratio for the locked frequency output). Since this signal is going to be processed via a PLL and/or divide by two flip flop stage, the final output will remain a perfect square wave regardless[1].

In this (navigation centric) application, there's simply no call for anything better (ie production of an ultra low phase noise polluted reference frequency) hence the need to add a separate VCOCXO disciplined with a long time constant PLL to filter out these phase jumps to obtain an ultra low phase noise polluted reference clock output fit to feed into the EXT 10MHz reference sockets on the rear panels of T&M and communications gear.

Also, the benefit of using a disciplined VCOCXO module is that it can offer a hold over accuracy and stability matching the locked state whenever the GPSDO unit loses lock with the satellites for any reason, keeping it to within nanoseconds of GPS time over periods of hours or even days provided power to the GPSDO isn't interrupted in the meantime.

However, I'm investigating a possible way to eliminate the expense of a separate VCOCXO module via the use of a 3N502 ultra low jitter PLL multiplier chip and an effective filter to turn the square wave output into a pure sine wave signal. The only fly in the ointment with the 3N502 clock multiplier chip is that, buried deep in the data sheet, it's only specified to a lowest output frequency of 14MHz in spite of the lowest clock input frequency being 2MHz and it having a lowest multiply option of two leading me to infer otherwise. I may need to multiply a jitter free 4MHz PPS signal up to 20MHz and divide it back down to 10MHz with a divide by two flip flop to hopefully get a more acceptable quality of 10MHz sine wave output.

If this idea of mine fails to produce the goods, then at least I'll know why there's no cheaper alternative to investing in a VCOCXO module which won't leave me quite so distressed by the expense of such an "essential component", especially when this is tempered by the fact that it will provide my GPSDO with a much superior hold over performance than that of the module's own built in TCXO.  :)

[1] With this in mind, there's no reason why you'd need to stick with a 50% duty cycle on the locked frequency output, you could use a 67% setting for the locked output and a 33% setting for the unlocked output, making the difference between the average DC voltage levels even easier to distinguish by the lock/unlock comparator circuit.

JBG
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 05:36:12 am by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline rfspezi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 08:32:57 am »
If you're after a cheap solution, a clever way to get a lock/unlock indicator without the minor expense of an Arduino nano is simply to program the free running output to a duty cycle of say 10 to 25 percent and monitor the average DC voltage with a comparator to drive the indicator LED (assuming you use a 50% ratio for the locked frequency output). Since this signal is going to be processed via a PLL and/or divide by two flip flop stage, the final output will remain a perfect square wave regardless[1].

Thank you for the detailled experience report.
Concerning the lock-indication - the dutycycle method is exactly what i am already using. :)

I got a test setup running now which goes exactly the other way as "usual".
I set the GPS module to ouput a frequency that produces as much as possible jitter and got an odd division factor. (140625 Hz is certainly not the best setting - maybe 19.2 MHz?, but for testing it's ok)
That way i hope to get adjustment of the output signal in a faster, more fluent and finer manner.
Since i have no frequency counter to measure it's performance, i can only compare it to my HP high stability OCXO.

A block diagram is attached.
I wonder what you think about it?

[EDIT:]
Attached the voltage curve of the Vfc input to the Trimble VCOCXO.
The voltage variations were worse before i put the setup under a cardboard box, however it doesn't allow me to make a real statement about the frequency stability/accuracy.
The frequency/voltage relation of Vfc is about 1.5 Hz/V.
Power-on/cold-start of the setup was about 20 minutes before the recording started.

The 470uF should be a 100uF.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:18:49 pm by rfspezi »

Offline JBeale

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 10:54:02 pm »
What I want for a GPSDO is to have a decent MTBF. I got a Trimble UCCM 57964-80 GPSDO board rebuilt into a little case with connectors for $120 from ebay and it works OK (OSC peak error within +/- 25 ppt) but looking at the Lady Heather screen I see that the DAC currently shows 11.03% and it has been dropping steadily 0.1% every day for two weeks. So in less than 4 months it will be dead and now it does not seem to be the bargain I was hoping for. Unless there is some way to retune the oscillator range.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2019, 11:12:54 pm »
but looking at the Lady Heather screen I see that the DAC currently shows 11.03% and it has been dropping steadily 0.1% every day for two weeks. So in less than 4 months it will be dead and now it does not seem to be the bargain I was hoping for. Unless there is some way to retune the oscillator range.

There is no documentation on what the UCCM DAC range is, but a lot of receivers use -100% to +100% with 0% being the center of the DAC range.

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2019, 02:15:41 am »

Thank you for the detailled experience report.
Concerning the lock-indication - the dutycycle method is exactly what i am already using. :)

I got a test setup running now which goes exactly the other way as "usual".
I set the GPS module to ouput a frequency that produces as much as possible jitter and got an odd division factor. (140625 Hz is certainly not the best setting - maybe 19.2 MHz?, but for testing it's ok)
That way i hope to get adjustment of the output signal in a faster, more fluent and finer manner.
Since i have no frequency counter to measure it's performance, i can only compare it to my HP high stability OCXO.

A block diagram is attached.
I wonder what you think about it?

Attached the voltage curve of the Vfc input to the Trimble VCOCXO.
The voltage variations were worse before i put the setup under a cardboard box, however it doesn't allow me to make a real statement about the frequency stability/accuracy.
The frequency/voltage relation of Vfc is about 1.5 Hz/V.
Power-on/cold-start of the setup was about 20 minutes before the recording started.

Whilst considering your reply, I happened to notice out of the corner of my eye (when I'm sat at the computer, my workbench is behind me so I'm using a shaving mirror as a rear view mirror to keep an eye on the 'scope display without having to swivel round) that the GPS module had lost lock by displaying the 10% duty cycle waveform I'd chosen as an unlocked indicator just over a day ago.

This the very first time I've seen it lose lock since then so it was quite a coincidence. I swiftly switched to the winXP VM where I've got the u-Blox u-centre software running to check what was happening. Strangely it was still showing 6 locked satellites at reasonable strengths considering the module is only using the patch antenna rather than the external antenna which doesn't stretch to the workbench right now. Even odder, I noticed a couple more unlock events whilst the u-centre software was still blithely claiming good locked signals from all 6 satellites.

Clearly, such indications of satellite signal strengths and quality are no reliable indicator of "Lock". The rather cunning idea of using different duty cycle ratios to indicate the locked/unlocked state looks to be an effective and reliable way to indicate the true state of 'Lock'. I'd have the Arduino nano monitor this hardware signal at a high priority to issue any 'unlock alarms' rather than relying on it to interpret this event from any status messages issued by the module.

140625 certainly is an odd division factor on the 48MHz TCXO. That calculates to 341.33333 by my reckoning!  :) I think 19.2MHz may be too much of a stretch for the M8N. The jitter on a scope trace of the 10MHz is more a cosmetic issue than any particular detriment to disciplining a VCOCXO via a long time constant PLL. The once every second or so corrections need to be filtered out just as much as any non-integer divisor induced jitter would need to be filtered out.

Such jitter might help mask or dilute these corrective phase shifts. I still haven't figured whether I was witnessing a 'scope trace display artefact or an actual smearing of these phase shifts into a lower level of broad band phase noise analogous to the use of dither noise in CDDA processing. The M8N module is compensating by using the smallest width pulses (the 48MHz clock pulses) to achieve the finest granularity of control so I can't quite see how the choice of output frequency, whether it's jitter free or not, would effect this process.

However, this is yet another configuration option I can test with the 3N502 clock multiplier chip in my search for an alternative to incorporating a VCOCXO to generate an acceptably clean 10MHz waveform. Normally, I wouldn't expect problems with satellite reception sufficient to cause the module to unlock so, for me, reversion to the unlocked frequency output would be an acceptable temporary downgrade by virtue of its sheer rarity (at least for now - I would normally be using an external active antenna to feed it with strong reliable signals making such events virtually non-existent).

As for your block diagram, the only unusual feature is your choice of PPS frequency but other than the fact that it's obviously working quite well (the Vfc plot suggests a p-p variation of around half a ppb), there was no obvious reason to think why it wouldn't. However, I've no actual expertise in laying out PLL circuits (yet) so you can take that for what it's worth.  :)

An OCXO should be more than adequate to let you observe what's actually happening on the PPS line at jitter free integer division ratios such as 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 and 16MHz. If that HP OCXO isn't part of a signal generator but just the OCXO module by itself, assuming it's a 10MHz module, you can still use the raw, jittery 10MHz PPS signal to re-calibrate it if necessary. before using it as a trigger reference to observe other harmonically related frequencies such as 2 and 4 MHz

Harking back to my opening remarks about seeing the GPS module losing lock on the satellites despite u-centre's claim to having a lock on 6 of the blighters, I now have the following observation to add.

At 19:22 UTC, the GPS module dropped out of 'Lock' and, when I brought the u-centre program up a couple of seconds later, I'd caught it with its knickers down. That is to say, no satellite signals other than two or three showing blue bars. A few seconds later, five green bars lit back up followed shortly thereafter by the GPS module reverting back to the locked state. This is something I've never ever seen before. I think I may have witnessed a system-wide event rather than a local problem with my GPS module, hence the time reference for anyone prepared to check their GPSDO logs.

JBG
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:23:04 am by Johnny B Good »
John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf