Author Topic: USA Cal Club: Round 2  (Read 148082 times)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: USA Cal Club: Round 2
« Reply #375 on: July 04, 2019, 02:39:12 am »
FYI I just received verification from Jason that this is the correct source code.  I'll get started on it tomorrow.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/usa-cal-club-round-2/msg2521782/#msg2521782

Many thanks to @bitseeker for making life easier for Jason.  He's done *way* more than his share in this enterprise.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline cellularmitosisTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #376 on: July 04, 2019, 03:24:37 am »
Hey guys, so happy to see this club thriving!  Glad you guys managed to dig up the tempduino source.  I’m not sure what is causing the strange output.  Sorry it is causing such a hassle!

As you may have guessed, I have taken up another hobby lately... :)

LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #377 on: July 04, 2019, 04:05:32 am »
What an awesome view, Jason! Looks like a great new hobby. Thanks for confirming the correct source code and popping in to say "hi". :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline SirAlucard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #378 on: July 04, 2019, 05:01:52 pm »
Wow, I didn't realize we were still so high up on the list of participants.

Jason that looks like a fun hobby, probably cheaper too. :P

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #379 on: July 04, 2019, 05:49:53 pm »
Does his new hobby mean it is possible to crawl back up out of the volt nut rabbit hole?  ;)

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #380 on: July 04, 2019, 06:35:49 pm »
Cool, but be careful out there. I inherited some nice stuff from the estate of a good friend with leanings in that direction.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: July 04, 2019, 11:11:19 pm »
OK, I think I have the basics in place for the new USA Cal Club: Getting Started & User Guide.

I'll be adding more info such as how to do logging, log file formats, where to upload them, etc., in due course. I just wanted to get all the kit-dependent stuff in place while I still had all the goodies in order to take photos of them.

The following users thanked this post: vindoline, hwj-d

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #382 on: July 04, 2019, 11:18:06 pm »
Does his new hobby mean it is possible to crawl back up out of the volt nut rabbit hole?  ;)

Probably not. Looks like he hopped on that there bike and shot out the other end screaming. :-DD

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #383 on: July 05, 2019, 01:19:00 am »
Looks like the Austin Chalk to me ;-)

The son of a former business partner of mine was ripping through high grass on a bike near Houston and hit a stump.  He now sits in a wheel chair all day :-(

Be careful!  If you can't see what your front tire is going to see, don't go there at more than walking speed. The consequences can be seriously life changing.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #384 on: July 05, 2019, 01:28:59 am »
People who ride off road on motor bikes get broken.  Sometimes repairable, sometimes not.  It is like bull riding that way.  But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #385 on: July 06, 2019, 02:49:39 am »
In the User Guide, I added a table of contents and a new section, Packing the Box, with a checklist for getting everything packed back into the box(es).

The kit shipped out this morning and should be back to vindoline on Monday, then off to rhb.

The following users thanked this post: Grandchuck

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #386 on: July 06, 2019, 11:55:54 am »
+1 on the user guide- nice work!

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #387 on: July 06, 2019, 02:58:18 pm »
Is it not too late to join this round? I have a few 6-7 digit meters to contribute.

I would also suggest to make a spreadsheet that each user can fill out with some specific numbers:
Instrument, last calibration, average voltage, short-term std., long-term p-p drift, ave temp, p-p temp.
This will make summarizing the results much easier later.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, bitseeker, hwj-d

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: July 06, 2019, 04:15:08 pm »
Good idea. Can you make a template since you have a sense for which parameters are desirable/useful? Attach it to your post and I'll add it when I make the how-to section of the user guide.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:42:50 pm by bitseeker »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: July 06, 2019, 04:41:29 pm »
+1 on the user guide- nice work!

Thanks, Conrad. It will be ongoing work as there is much to be documented. Next, I want to add a how-to section regarding setup, logging, uploading files, etc., as I remember being a bit lost and figuring it out when I first started way back in Round 1 ^-^. I'd also like to have a more formal section about the club, member requirements (nothing crazy, but to set proper expectations), etc. An FAQ would be useful, too.

TiN will be adding a section for the Python plotting script and collecting data about the FX reference.

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #390 on: July 06, 2019, 04:56:16 pm »
Here is a simple file. Maybe one can think of a few other columns to add.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, hwj-d

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: July 07, 2019, 01:27:11 am »
Eeek!  I'm now seriously under the gun and have not yet printed out Jason's code to study yet.  Guess I know now what I have to do tomorrow.   At least melting down 2.5 pounds of pure tin wine capsules won't take too much hands on time.  Mostly just waiting.  Though I should make  ingot molds rather than leave it in the bean can crucibles.  I think I may cheat and use a SS measuring cup as a mold.  It's not that hot a pour.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #392 on: July 07, 2019, 10:04:36 am »
Here is a simple file. Maybe one can think of a few other columns to add.

Maybe it's better to migrate it to google sheets.

I myself am not a friend of proprietary software like MS-Office, and therefore I always use Open-Document formats according to ISO/IEC 26300 standards, for example by using the free Libreoffice.

In this case it might even be better to use the cloud capabilities of Google Sheets in an appropriate way (access rights).

Offline vindoline

• Supporter
« Reply #393 on: July 07, 2019, 12:41:15 pm »
Is it not too late to join this round? I have a few 6-7 digit meters to contribute.

It's never too late, it will just be a bit of a wait! I'll add you to our list.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: July 07, 2019, 02:13:54 pm »
Rejecting Excel on proprietary grounds while proposing Google sheets is inconsistent. 

I have no problem with odf, though for simple sheets such as this both MS and Libre can open and use either format.

If we are really concerned about such issues a backup for TiN's generous data repository might be worth discussing.  Natural disasters or other circumstances might make it inaccessible.  I don't personally feel that most cloud services address this need as they are vulnerable to business upsets that are far more likely than natural disasters.

Offline vindoline

• Supporter
« Reply #395 on: July 07, 2019, 03:21:19 pm »
Perhaps we should just keep the data in .csv format and let individuals use the tool of their choice. I agree with keeping the data on TiN's server - he's been very generous with time and treasure.  :-+

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #396 on: July 07, 2019, 03:58:00 pm »
Excel is ubiquitous in the commercial world and I've no problem with it. OTOH, CSV files should make everybody happy, or at least insure that nobody is left out.

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #397 on: July 07, 2019, 05:46:35 pm »
People who ride off road on motor bikes get broken.  Sometimes repairable, sometimes not.  It is like bull riding that way.  But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

You can't get to where I'm standing in this photo with a motor bike but you can still get broken if you're not careful  8)

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #398 on: July 07, 2019, 08:42:32 pm »
Rejecting Excel on proprietary grounds while proposing Google sheets is inconsistent. 
?
What should be "inconsistent" with both proposals if they have nothing to do with each other?

I've seen excelsheets, with rudimentary macros, that only provided their functionality under an original ms-excel. (edit:) Not to mention when using different OS.

That's one thing.

Google-sheets is a cloud service, which could be very handy under certain circumstances, and is therefore used by many people when they work together on the same sheet locally. CSV-format has nothing to do with neccessary access grants, that we need to do that.

One was a hint, the other was a tip. What we can do with it, we are just beginning to see.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 02:50:22 am by hwj-d »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: July 08, 2019, 01:37:07 am »
Perhaps we should just keep the data in .csv format and let individuals use the tool of their choice. I agree with keeping the data on TiN's server - he's been very generous with time and treasure.  :-+

For the setup information template, my intent was to convert the XLSX file to CSV format before attaching to the User Guide. So, no worries about accessibility. You can still choose the tool and platform you prefer. :-+

I use a variety of operating systems and tools for work and home. Thus, I try to make things as cross-functional as reasonably possible to minimize headaches for everyone, myself included.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf