Author Topic: Tinsley 6050 Nanovoltmeter (little bit unsual)  (Read 4562 times)

Online lowimpedanceTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
Tinsley 6050 Nanovoltmeter (little bit unsual)
« on: November 18, 2016, 01:08:18 am »
 This somewhat unusual instrument has been sitting on the shelf neglected at work for ............. well who knows :-//.
So I thought it would be interesting to have a closer look and post some pics for your entertainment.
The first thing that struck me when the cover came off was the similarity to EM nano voltmeters in construction and layout. (some influence perhaps)

How ever there is one rather unique difference between the two !. Have a look at the input terminal arrangement..........
Its on a slide so it can be moved forward out of the front panel to access screws to attach directly to the copper bars when the banana posts are not good enough. Also the fine twisted enamelled copper wire to the input amp (in mu metal box) has enough strain relief length before being taped to the shielded box to prevent fracture from repeated 'sliding' of the input assemble.
 A pity the sensitive stuff is glued into the mu metal boxes so it will remain  :-//.

Overall construction is okay but I prefer the EM gear. And considering the complete lack of any information out there I suspect there wasn't many sold and unfortunately I cannot find the manual that must have come with it. Shame..
 Has anyone else seen one ?.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:24:43 am by lowimpedance »
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, doktor pyta

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: Tinsley 6050 Nanovoltmeter (little bit unsual)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 03:09:35 am »
Thanks for the teardown, shame you can't go deeper.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 04:28:01 am »
Is the thin wire from terminal block are thin to keep minimum thermal mass?
They just hanging there without any air protection..
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Online lowimpedanceTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 05:51:04 am »
 That would be my assumption too. Then after the 'loop' section from the sliding terminal they tape it to the shielded box for some length before going into the front end.

EM meters use slightly larger gauge copper wire that is sleeved with silicone tube before they loosely twist them together and there is no attaching it to any metal surface between input terminals and the front end (as in the EM 11a thread).
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 02:18:44 pm »
What do the Yellow and Black wires that go to the same nanovolt bus bars (as the fine wires) do? (they seem to have a resistor or something under black sleeving).

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 04:35:46 pm »
Neither shield nor guard on the inputs implies it is meant for low impedance sources, right?

Offline guido

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 01:01:59 am »

Did you ask them for info? In 2012 i requested info on an old AIM/Prism/Tinsley 6451 RLC meter and they mailed me the manual.  :-+

www.tinsley.co.uk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf