Author Topic: How to test for electrolytic polarity?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline solarbotTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How to test for electrolytic polarity?
« on: July 08, 2021, 03:32:53 pm »
Hi,

I have a set of electrolytic caps which seem to have just the one polarity indicator and that is the leg length..... with the legs cut to the same length, is there a way to determine the polarity through testing?  Cheers.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: How to test for electrolytic polarity?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 04:09:13 pm »
I have a set of electrolytic caps which seem to have just the one polarity indicator and that is the leg length..... with the legs cut to the same length, is there a way to determine the polarity through testing?  Cheers.

Leakage will be much higher in the reverse direction at low voltages, so a low value current source can be used to charge the capacitor in both directions and safely reveal the correct polarity.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 04:23:26 pm »
There are non polarized electrolytics.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 04:55:18 pm »
I didn't know that there were unpolarised electrolytic caps - this one has a long leg and a short leg so guessings its not one of them?..... although this one has NP on the casing and a diamond shape with dots at the corners so perhaps it is?

If I chargre the cap (rated 16V) with a 9V battery and then measure the voltage with a multimeter, I should see the volatge drop more quicky when reverse charged?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 05:09:13 pm by solarbot »

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 05:40:44 pm »
I didn't know that there were unpolarised electrolytic caps - this one has a long leg and a short leg so guessings its not one of them?..... although this one has NP on the casing and a diamond shape with dots at the corners so perhaps it is?

If I chargre the cap (rated 16V) with a 9V battery and then measure the voltage with a multimeter, I should see the volatge drop more quicky when reverse charged?

A photo would help identify them, although if they don't have any polarity indication and they say "NP" on them, that's a pretty strong indication that they are non-polarized.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Regular Contributor
[SOLVED] How to test for electrolytic polarity?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 07:02:36 pm »
Thanks folks, I think learning that there are non polarised electrolytics and measuring the leakage gives me confidence that this is a non polorised capacitors - the body is also bigger than an equivalent polorised cap so it all makes sense.

Thank you, I have leanrt something new  :-+

Cheers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf