Author Topic: Masuring 50A DC  (Read 2717 times)

Offline luudeeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Masuring 50A DC
« on: September 27, 2023, 12:04:38 pm »
Guys,

are there any small hand held devices that will allow me to measure currents up to 50A DC ?

Doesn't need to be very accurate +/- 0.5 A would be fine ...

Thanks,
rudi

PS: Voltage range would be relatively low, around 12V would be good.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Masuring 50A DC
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 12:19:24 pm »
+/- 0.5 A DC can easily be done with shunt resistor and a multimeter

Or you use a current clamp meter, like this one:
https://www.fluke.com/en/product/electrical-testing/clamp-meters/fluke-325
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: luudee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 01:06:21 pm »

Thank you HighVoltage !

My Brain isn't working today, why didn't I think of a clamp meter ?!

I thought about Shunt Resistor, etc, but at 50A  I didn't want to deal with it, lol ...

Best Regards,
rudi

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 02:26:21 pm »
Since this is the metrology forum, for better accuracy than the common clamp meter look for Direct Current Comparator Transducers like the LEM Ultrastab series.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 07:11:13 pm »

OP's wish for  0.5A/50A or 1% accuracy is bit too much for most of the clamp meters. Mentioned Fluke for example is specified for 2% and some pocket change of digits.
There is some notable exeptions like Hioki CT6843A at 0.3% but this is close to 3000 usd kit  :(

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 08:07:57 pm »
You'll get better accuracy and much better zeroing for less money with a decent shunt.  This one will read directly in mV, 1mV=1A.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/riedon/RSA-100-100/4967078
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 09:14:40 pm »
You'll get better accuracy and much better zeroing for less money with a decent shunt.  This one will read directly in mV, 1mV=1A.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/riedon/RSA-100-100/4967078
Better than a Hall effect clamp meter, yes. Better than DCCT, unlikely. If you're not careful, thermal EMF could already eat into that uncertainty budget of 500 uV given the shunt is likely to get warm. But then neither a DCCT nor a shunt that can get hot are a truly convenient handheld device like a clamp meter, though they could both certainly be made portable.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 09:36:01 pm »
Better than a Hall effect clamp meter, yes. Better than DCCT, unlikely.

I was only comparing to the clamp meter.  The shunt is cheap and simple, which is what I expect the OP wants.  If that 1% spec is necessary, Riedon makes these with a 0.1% nominal tolerance (at 25C) and 0.02% tempco from 15 to 80C.   At 50A, the 1mR 100A-rated shunt will be dissipating 2.5W, so perhaps a small fan to keep it under 80C? 

https://riedon.com/media/pdf/RS.pdf
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline CosteC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 12:16:38 pm »

Unfortunately this is incorrect. FLUKE 325 is not accurate enough. It offers 2% +5 LSB, at 400 A range (40 A range is too small) it means +/- 1.5 A while desired accuracy of 0.5 A at 50 A is +/- 1%.

EDIT: APPA MA3/MA5 136/138 can provide +/- 0.95 A error, but this is more or less as far as you can go with hall sensor and reasonable price.

None of "ordinary" clamp meters can provide such accuracy as are based on Hall sensors. There are different types, yet far more expensive.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 12:25:49 pm by CosteC »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 12:50:30 pm »
The UNI-T 210E is actually very good at higher currents when tested against known a set of 0.25% Murata shunts I own. The key to using it is to zero it before each reading and don't move it around as the sensor can tend to pick up errors (applies to most of this type).

Shunts like these are 'affordable' too https://au.element14.com/murata-power-solutions/3020-01103-0/shunt/dp/1498416?CMP=i-55c5-00001621 and come is a heap of ranges. I went with 0.1V 10A, 0.1V 100A and the 500A one is 50mA. Parly so these can be close to direct reading from a meter without doing any math.

The other option which might suit is look at the R/C test gear there is a bunch of this sort of thing around some trash and some out of the USA brands much better. This one I have used a bit and is great for quick and dirty measurements https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-180a-watt-meter-and-power-analyzer.html

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 01:09:54 pm »

Unfortunately this is incorrect. FLUKE 325 is not accurate enough. It offers 2% +5 LSB, at 400 A range (40 A range is too small) it means +/- 1.5 A while desired accuracy of 0.5 A at 50 A is +/- 1%.

EDIT: APPA MA3/MA5 136/138 can provide +/- 0.95 A error, but this is more or less as far as you can go with hall sensor and reasonable price.

None of "ordinary" clamp meters can provide such accuracy as are based on Hall sensors. There are different types, yet far more expensive.

This is the last 9 Fluke 325 meters to bless my bench.

Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 01:12:24 pm »

Guys,

I have to apologize, I did not mean +/- 0.5A as a hard target. I didn't think about it in absolute terms.

2% will be just fine. I already placed an order the Fluke 325 ... This is not so much for my Lab, but
for my house ...

Many Thanks for all the suggestions !

rudi

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 01:36:40 pm »
I had several Fluke 325 over the years and each one was much better than the stated 2%

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2023, 01:50:14 pm »
It depends what you're trying to do. If it needs to be a traceable measurement, then you either rely on the manufacturer specifications or you have to collect the data to characterize the device yourself, which can be a lot of work. So often the simplest is to buy something that has the guaranteed specifications from the manufacturer that you need, and not "usually will be good enough if the weather is not too cold".

Obviously it it's for a simple measurement at home none of this matters, but then why post this in the metrology section :-//

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2023, 01:56:22 pm »
It depends what you're trying to do. If it needs to be a traceable measurement, then you either rely on the manufacturer specifications or you have to collect the data to characterize the device yourself, which can be a lot of work. So often the simplest is to buy something that has the guaranteed specifications from the manufacturer that you need, and not "usually will be good enough if the weather is not too cold".

Obviously it it's for a simple measurement at home none of this matters, but then why post this in the metrology section :-//

Because that lot over in the test gear section are crazy with a capital Z. You wouldn't get a simple answer out of them. The TEAS is rather strong with them.
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

The following users thanked this post: eplpwr, luudee

Offline CosteC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2023, 02:41:59 pm »
I had several Fluke 325 over the years and each one was much better than the stated 2%
Love this almost religious faith in FLUKE. Especially faith in 'shyness' of huge corporation to specify so high real accuracy.

Reality is under good conditions any sensible meter is more accurate than specification. Yet outside of room temperature, with noise and distortion present accuracy is dropping.
Under comfortable 23'C, well centred conductor, no stray magnetic fields any meter will be more accurate than specs. The difference is FLUKE will meet its specs in field. UNI-T - not nesesery.

Unit will drift more than APPA, and APPA probably more than FLUKE (probably as at least one FLUKE is APPA)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2023, 02:56:56 pm »
Love this almost religious faith in FLUKE. Especially faith in 'shyness' of huge corporation to specify so high real accuracy.

Reality is under good conditions any sensible meter is more accurate than specification. Yet outside of room temperature, with noise and distortion present accuracy is dropping.
Under comfortable 23'C, well centred conductor, no stray magnetic fields any meter will be more accurate than specs. The difference is FLUKE will meet its specs in field. UNI-T - not nesesery.

Unit will drift more than APPA, and APPA probably more than FLUKE (probably as at least one FLUKE is APPA)

Fluke makes some really nice equipment. I'd say more than just home use. I get my
Fluke 289 calibrated, and it is quite reliable and accurate.
Sure, it does not compare to my SDG3065 or soon to arrive Keithley DMM6500 ...

But none of those are hand held, and neither one can measure DCA of 50A (and more).
Yes, I saw all the comments about shunt resistors, and I fully understand that I could
make myself a small box ... etc etc etc.
That is not the path I wanted to pursue for this particular requirement. A clamp
meter is perfect for what I need it, and 2% is plenty !!!

I truly appreciate all the comments !  Many many thanks everybody !!!

rudi

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2023, 03:05:18 pm »

I am a bit of a brand snob, I like to have good stuff if I can afford it but I am not faithful to Fluke just because it's "Made in America". I find that if you buy a Mitutoyo vernier calliper there is a <1 in 100 chance of it being rubbish, on the other hand, a cheap no no-brand thing and you will be lucky to get >1 in 100 which is any good. I like to have confidence that the kit I use will give me a realistic and repeatable result and live up the the safety specs it claims.

The Fluke 325s I posted about were all in the lab at 22 ish degrees. Though I have quite a few that I have done onsite in uncontrolled environments but still will with a decent 10 or 50 turn coil. The biggest issue is its very hard to get the measurement uncertainty lower with the coils as any current error gets magnified by the number of turns.
--

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2023, 03:20:33 pm »
There are some things that we place considerable trust in, like Volts, Ohms and Current. This is why we have 3 KS34465A, DMM6500 an HP34401A and AG34401A. Our "goto" handheld DMM is an original Fluke 87 from way back when they were originally introduced, is still spot on for all measurements!!

IMO Fluke is the ultimate professional handheld DMM, nothing comes close when long term reliability and accurate repeatable measurements over many decades are considered :-+

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2023, 04:01:00 pm »
There are some things that we place considerable trust in, like Volts, Ohms and Current. This is why we have 3 KS34465A, DMM6500 an HP34401A and AG34401A. Our "goto" handheld DMM is an original Fluke 87 from way back when they were originally introduced, is still spot on for all measurements!!

IMO Fluke is the ultimate professional handheld DMM, nothing comes close when long term reliability and accurate repeatable measurements over many decades are considered :-+

Best,

I agree with Mike !!!  They are reliable ! Don't believe me ???  Check this out:

I just pulled out this Fluke 23 from Storage. I had it for roughly 35 years. The
last 10++ years it was in storage, until now.

It even powered up, I thought for sure the battery leaked all over the unit by
now, still have to open and inspect. The LCD appears to be dying, it has a
large oval black spot, but it disappears when I power it on ...

Cheers,
rudi

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 04:03:03 pm by luudee »

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2023, 05:55:00 am »

Reality is under good conditions any sensible meter is more accurate than specification.
HA!
Try that with the tc-K temperature measurement part of Fluke current clamps.
Sure it is more of  extra features but it is a truly miserable piece of shit if you try to do full calibration including the thermocouple measurement input.
TcK input in most Fluke current clamps drifts all over the place and is within the specification limits twice per day.  |O

Offline laichh

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2023, 07:52:47 am »
How about the TI INA254 Evaluation board?

https://www.ti.com/tool/INA254EVM

According to the datasheet, the system gain error is ±0.05% typical or ±0.5% max. The total shunt + amplifier TC of ±45 ppm/°C max is as good as you can get on a Bulk-Metal Foil shunt for its size.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf