Author Topic: PWM new article from S. Woodward  (Read 1485 times)

Offline RandallMcReeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
PWM new article from S. Woodward
« on: February 23, 2023, 06:20:20 pm »
Just saw this in EDN 

Thought folks here would be interested.

https://www.edn.com/cancel-pwm-dac-ripple-with-analog-subtraction-revisited/

The following users thanked this post: johansen, doktor pyta, mycroft, alm, MiDi, dietert1, miro123

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
Re: PWM new article from S. Woodward
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 07:19:03 pm »
Thanks for the pointer, but if I understand the comments correctly, one would want a Sallen-Key filter anyhow for better ripple suppression and faster settling times (at the cost of marginally higher complexity and an OpAmp [1]).  Is that right?

[1] https://www.edn.com/design-second-and-third-order-sallen-key-filters-with-one-op-amp/

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 07:40:26 pm »
I had looked at the current more compensation circuit in a simulation and AFAIR the compensation part had the same effect as an addition 1st order filter stage. Same attenuation and same extra settling time. As digital inverters are relative cheap it could still be wort it, but the response of 1 st order filters is still not ideal and a proper 2nd order filter may be better performing.
The simple 2nd order Sallen-key filter can have the problem of direct feed through via the capacitor in the feedback, if the OP amps is not very fast. So ideally one would have a 3rd order filter with an extra passive stage in front.

I don't think the voltage compensation would be significant different. As a first crude guess mainly a shift in the cross over freqency and this way faster settling but likely more ripple to start with.

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 06:53:03 pm »
Isn't the proposed compensation circuit equivalent to a second order filter? Without compensation it's a 1st order filter, with compensation we have the equivalent of another 1st order filter. With two resistors and two capacitors it should be second order.

Regards, Dieter

Offline spostma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 09:01:11 pm »
thank you for the link!
Stephen Woodward is the most creative analog designer I know.
Check out all his design ideas on EDN!

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 10:41:46 pm »
Its a bit early for April Fools articles!
If you tweak the time constants for equal ripple to the simple cascaded two stage passive RC alternative, it doesn't settle significantly faster, nor does it settle faster than his 2017 offering.  I've attached a LTspice SIM comparing the various proposed circuits.

TLDR: It doesn't appear to be worth it even if your MCU gives you complimentary PWM outputs 'for free'!  :horse:

The following users thanked this post: Mickle T., Andreas, MegaVolt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf