Author Topic: Inspecting, aligning, and testing an HP 5065A Rubidium  (Read 9501 times)

Offline rubidium

• Regular Contributor
Re: Inspecting, aligning, and testing an HP 5065A Rubidium
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2020, 01:13:18 pm »
Look at these old prices!
http://www.barrytech.com/hewlett-packard/standards/hp5065a.html

Nice old gear site where he listed many old auction prices on multiple units.  I'd love to get some of the 2002-2004 prices he listed today! ;^}

Bill
Ah ... looking in the rear-view mirror can indeed be depressing.  :palm: At those prices any one of us would buy them all today.

Hi Jim,

As Corby said, these units are hard to find, in late June I've casually spotted an offer on a national radio amateur forum... was very hard to resist knowing these particular devices, finally decided to contact the owner, declared as operative (!), he has accepted a bit lower offer by me.

When arrived was clear that the unit isn't operative, the output 5 MHz signal was nice and very stable, but the Rb lamp was inoperative, for the rarity of these devices I decided to repair this unit obviously !

I haven't a primary standard and don't want to go for the hard "time-nuts" way, too expensive, at the moment I'm using another Rubidium unit (EFRATOM FRK-H) got some years ago in NOS conditions for only 30 euros, I do not trust the frequency calibration of these units, I will try to compare with a GPSDO (OSA Star-4) in next months.

GOOD Luck to find one !

Stephano
I've learned to be a (mostly) well-disciplined and patient guy when it comes to this stuff - largely as a result of a few failures in the past. About 5 years ago I gambled on a CS4000 that turned out to be little more than a "tire chock" in that it had an exhausted CBT. Of course it was advertised with one of several luring statements like "Working", or "Pulled from a working environment", etc.  Fortunately, I was able to get a refund from the seller. Recently I lucked out on a PRS-50 at low cost after convincing myself that it probably had a bad PSU board and perhaps held the promise that the CBT still had some decent life once the PSU was repaired. Quite honestly, some of the more favorable gambles I've made on surplus high-end gear involved bad power supplies - in particular, failed electrolytics.

Offline HighPrecision

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 06:34:36 pm »
Now my 5065A unit is constantly powered ON from 2 weeks, after various adjustments and temperatures checking the output signal at A7TP2 is increased, @137Hz (offset) is 1 Vpp and @274Hz (centered) is 280 mVpp, all very stable!

New update:

Found another problem, in the C-Field coil there is no current flowing despite the presence of a voltage on A15 R10 and R11 current sense resistors, about 2V DC variable with the C-Field control.

The RVFR "C" coil is about 12 Ohms, found the dual transistor A15 Q6 (1854-0221) broken, either B-E junctions are shorted; ordered a NOS original replacement and changed also the C6 tantalum capacitor slightly leaking (47µF).

Now the C-Field adjustemnt acts on output frequency for about 12 milliHertz. The major surprise is the 2nd Harmonic level on the A7TP2 test point is increased to 1.32Vpp @ 274 Hz (centered) and over 4Vpp @ 137 Hz (offset) !

The 2nd Harmonic signal now is clean, noise is greatly reduced.

Stephano

Offline notfaded1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2020, 07:11:05 pm »
The major surprise is the 2nd Harmonic level on the A7TP2 test point is increased to 1.32Vpp @ 274 Hz (centered) and over 4Vpp @ 137 Hz (offset) !

The 2nd Harmonic signal now is clean, noise is greatly reduced.

Stephano
Sounds like transistor fix made a nice difference.  Now I'm wondering if I should buy some 1854-0221 while they can be had still.  WTH I just bought a couple new ones.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 07:14:15 pm by notfaded1 »
.ılılı..ılılı.
notfaded1

Offline 5065AGuruTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 04:15:37 am »
Stephano,

With no C-field current you were probably locking on the wrong line.

One of the lines a Rubidium can lock on at low C-field currents is HIGHLY sensitive to magnetic fields.

The HP 5065A when working properly is designed to provide enough current even at the minimum pot setting to avoid this line.

Great that you are making progress!

Cheers,

Corby

The following users thanked this post: HighPrecision

Offline HighPrecision

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2020, 08:36:44 pm »
Corby,
thank you for the explanation on C-Field !

Actually I'm trying to calibrate the 5065A output frequency with the only method available for me, using the Oscilloquartz GPSDO Star-4, TC setted to 3600 sec. and using a FA-2 counter statistics to average 10MHz frequency variations, approx. 260 microHertz P-P, after some weeks and adjustment of C-Field, the averaged difference is stable around -4.4 microHertz @ 5 MHz.

I think this small difference is too difficult to compensate with C-Field control.

I have found a replacement connector for mains input, same MIL serie and pin number (3), but different rotation and reversed socket/plug sides, not very safe to have live mains on plug side, but I will avoid to modify the rear panel of the 5065A  :)

The RVFR signal at A7TP2 is very strong, the A7R29 trimmer for the meter indication is somewhat difficult to set, from full CCW position the meter needle jumps immediately over full scale with a very small rotation of this trimmer in the '2nd Harmonic' position of meter switch.

That is a very interesting experience with this unit !

Best, Stephano

Offline 5065AGuruTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2020, 06:15:18 am »
Stephano,

That (the R29 pot you mentioned) is a very good sign.

If the instrument has a strong signal the pot does indeed end up being almost max CCW and hard to set.

Cheers,

Corby

Offline testpoint1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2023, 08:02:29 pm »
today I also have time to fix my current 5065A, just follow Corby's procedure, may need several weeks since I need to replace many components and its battery, I have some idea for this:
1. +20V or -20V output, according its manual, it is +-0.2V tolerance;
2. for the Tantalum capacitor replacement, if the pin/terminal is OK, the testing result seems good, I try to replace them all, but when I purchased some "new" capacitor from Ebay, the testing KPI is worse than old one, but you can use the cemeric capacitor instead of them (100uF 30V using the 220uF 63V instead of it); the attached photo is for capacitor testing;
3. for the Rubidium lamp, it is quite good, I can say, till now,  its technology better than current small Rubidium standard, just like LPRO, SRO-100 or PRS10 etc.

The following users thanked this post: syau

Online bnz

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2023, 05:53:23 pm »
I recently got a 5065A and replaced the suspect caps and the 1k3 resistor. As it immediately locked and had good meter readings I did not do any alignments up to now. I just kept it running like that for that rubidium balance gets established again.
I am however uncertain about the development of the second harmonic reading of the meter, it kept increasing and is now at 50 (according to the manual the expected range is 20-40). Is that good or a problem? I.e. should I stop warming up and start trouble shooting  :-//

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2023, 06:09:24 pm »
I recently got a 5065A and replaced the suspect caps and the 1k3 resistor. As it immediately locked and had good meter readings I did not do any alignments up to now. I just kept it running like that for that rubidium balance gets established again.
I am however uncertain about the development of the second harmonic reading of the meter, it kept increasing and is now at 50 (according to the manual the expected range is 20-40). Is that good or a problem? I.e. should I stop warming up and start trouble shooting  :-//

It's normal for the 2H reading to go up over the first several days of operation.  Given the dramatic increase you're seeing, it may have already had some cell flooding the last time someone aligned it. 

The best approach, now that the caps have been replaced, is to let it sit there for a week or two before you make any adjustments. Any tweaking you perform prior to burn-in will likely need to be repeated once things stabilize.

The following users thanked this post: notfaded1

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2024, 07:01:11 pm »
Interesting piece of hardware.  Can't tell from the photos if it is just a repackaged miniature telecom-grade standard, or a full-fledged 5065A-class design.  I asked the seller for more info.  If it's really a custom-engineered product from the ground up, I'll buy one and see how it performs.

Offline dipsocket

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2024, 09:05:34 pm »
Interesting piece of hardware.  Can't tell from the photos if it is just a repackaged miniature telecom-grade standard, or a full-fledged 5065A-class design.  I asked the seller for more info.  If it's really a custom-engineered product from the ground up, I'll buy one and see how it performs.

That listing first appeared a few years ago. I found a few things about it:
In the pdf
https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/23/012/23012324.pdf
it is stated:
The technology for the production of rubidium devices was first reported in the Soviet Union in 1983, some 10 years after it was reported in (West) Germany. Good original work is also reported, and it is clear that the Soviet technology is now well advanced with the 1984 production of Chl-69 devices which are considerable improvements over contemporary HP-5065A and Efratom XSRM devices. The recently developed Chl-74 mobile unit resembles the HP 5065A and it appears to be competitive with any existing rubidium gas cell products available in the West.

There is a picture of the unit that is captioned "SCHV-74" on https://ruknar.com/en/assets/gallery/15/124.png
which is mentioned on page 7(192) in a pdf on your site: http://www.ke5fx.com/vch1006/Demidov_Design_and_industrial_production_of_frequency_standards_masers_in_USSR.pdf

and on https://ilrs.gsfc.nasa.gov/network/stations/inactive/LVIL_sitelog.html with specifications:
  9.01.01 Frequency Standard Type : RUBIDIUM
          Model                   : SChV-74
          Manufacturer            : ex-USSR
          Short Term Stab.  [e-12]: 5
          Long Term Stab.   [e-12]: 10

I also found a very poor scan of what seemed like a page of the user manual in an attachment on the below message board which shows a separate filter cell, but I was not able to determine if the image was from the -69 unit or the -74 unit:
http://www.cqham.ru/forum/showthread.php?13839-%D1%D7%C2-74&s=2e9e5bb2588cf11398029cb4623143c2

I remember reading another document which mentioned the -74 is a combined-cell design, but I can't find it now.  I did contact the seller and he seemed to be willing to scan the user manual for a reasonable fee, however I did not follow through.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2024, 09:13:45 pm »
I love how they copied the bezel, no shame ::)

wanted that star trek look

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2024, 11:30:02 pm »
That listing first appeared a few years ago. I found a few things about it...

Good stuff, thanks.  It appears that most or all of the schematics are present in that forum thread, and that it is indeed an HP 5065A "homage" -- or at least, the one they are discussing in the thread is.

Even if it's an integrated-cell design it should still be interesting to tinker with. I went ahead and ordered one... we'll see what it looks like.  The last time someone randomly dropped a link on here to an auction of unusual Russian time & frequency hardware, it turned out to be very worthwhile. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf