Author Topic: Wahoo! SCORE! Fluke 332B and Fluke 382A  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Stray ElectronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Wahoo! SCORE! Fluke 332B and Fluke 382A
« on: October 18, 2023, 01:31:11 pm »

I picked up both of these from an estate last weekend. The 332B is a DC Voltage standard and the 382 is DC Voltage and DC Current Calibrator. Both units appear to be in very good condition for their age and there are no broken knobs or terminals, just the usual collection of old property and Cal stickers.  I checked out the 332 last night and the overload lamp turns on as soon as I applied power (in any setting).  It hums for a few seconds and then it sounds like a relay clicks and it shuts down. Any guesses as to what's going on with it?  (I am currently reading the manual and all of the threads for it.)

I hadn't looked at the 382 yet.

Is any tracking the serial numbers and production date of this old Fluke equipment? The SN on my 332 is 590008. I haven't opened it up yet so I have no idea of the type chopper used in it or any component dates.

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
Re: Wahoo! SCORE! Fluke 332B and Fluke 382A
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 08:41:28 pm »
Got rid of my 332 because I couldn't lift it anymore! I remember having a failure where it got back-driven by a voltage which fried something, but can't remember just what.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 01:37:56 am »
  I may have to get rid of these two too within a few years as I get older.  it was a chore carrying them inside!  I never thought that a voltage reference could be so heavy!!

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 07:36:57 am »
    I was curious how heavy 'heavy' would be.  Haven't found the manual yet, but [1] claims 25kg.  There also a fault similar to above is mentioned, which was caused by the safety switch not properly closing (due to bent chassis).  Perhaps worth a look.

[1] https://www.amplifier.cd/Test_Equipment/other/Fluke332B.html

Offline Rax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 12:45:44 pm »
The first thing I personally check with all such units - particularly of a certain age - is the power supply rails. Are they all where they should be? Any dried or shorted caps? Smaller electrolytics tend to dry or leak, DIP tantalums (not sure these have those) then to short, and not always as fireworks.
Also, if using power carbon comp resistors, those can drift like heck and are really not suited for that type of service. A lot of underdesign has happened with power supplies in the relatively early days (= a couple of decades) of solid state.

Offline fmashockie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 03:24:58 pm »
I'm looking at a Fluke 382A.  Seller can't confirm the condition.  What would be a reasonable price to pay for one of these?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 02:14:18 am »
  I got both of mine in exchange for some work so I don't know what the $ value is.  As far as I can remember I've never seen a 382 for sale but I would expect the price to be similar to one of the 332s and they're asking serious money for those on E-Greed.

I think these weight about 70 pounds each and they are FULL of high precision parts that are probably a bit delicate and absolutely irreplaceable so IMO proper packing, handling and shipping would be a very serious issue.

I would be VERY hesitant to buy one of these that is untested unless I got it very cheap. And I would also be extremely reluctant to buy one that isn't close enough that I could go pick up in person and avoid shipping.

The following users thanked this post: fmashockie

Offline gray5596

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 06:32:17 pm »
I have a 382A with a bad power supply. I planned on throwing it away, but if you need any parts, let me know. I don't want anything for the parts and I'd give them away rather than throwing them away.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf