Author Topic: Balanced/unbalanced isolation balun usage with 10MHz ref. clock distribution  (Read 726 times)

Offline HalFosterTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
All-

I have several Mini-Circuits baluns (BNC, 1:1, unbalanced:balanced) and am wondering what the correct way to integrate them into a 10MHz reference clock distribution system would be.  First of all, I would think that they would not be necessary to begin with since all equipment connected is in the same rack and the power (and ground) is all on one circuit and no more than 10' from distribution amp to the equipment.  That being said though, what *would* the correct usage?  Would they go on the amplifier or the equipment side of the cable? Which side gets the balanced and which the unbalanced.  Does it matter or there advantages one way over the other? Both the amps and the equipment BNC connectors share a common ground but for the sake of argument say that they don't.  In one instance that will actually be the case since I will be going about 60' from one building to another. The amplifiers will be HP 5087As as well as possible a Brandywine FDA-1050 both of which have grounded outputs.

TIA,

Hal
--- If it isn't broken... Fix it until it is ---

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Legnth of cables? # loads? Zo 50 or 75 Ohm? Source voltage, Zo?

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline HalFosterTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Length: under 10' for all except one - that one 60' all 50 ohm coax with BNC connectors
Single 50 ohm load each
1.5V RMS
--- If it isn't broken... Fix it until it is ---

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
What mini ckt part #?
Why balanced if all TX/RX and cables are unbal /BNC/coax?

TX....trsf...cable...trsf..RX

Float one or both BNC shields off the chassis use 47 pF RF bypass if needed.

See my previous post re passive 10 MHz house master clk

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf