Author Topic: Keithly DMM7510 Fresh Off Calibration from the Mothership  (Read 1935 times)

Offline ZenwizardTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Keithly DMM7510 Fresh Off Calibration from the Mothership
« on: July 17, 2022, 12:03:58 am »
I though this information might be of interest here in the Meteorology section. I am planning on doing a video for this for the channel but I will leave the excel sheet here. I am going to add to the log so I can get some drift over time so The center section will fill out once I get a second year History of the unit : It is my personal meter for the lab and it most accurate one that I have at the moment. My plan is to maintain this with keithly as this currently sets "Truth" for my lab. My every day meter is a DMM 6500 and a bank of DM502A's

This is an excel document created from the data Keithly sent me. I had the meter sent through their accredited calibration along with the data for longer term records this is the first data point. 

Zen
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 01:41:42 am by Zenwizard »
You Tube Link - Fixing broken Things

The following users thanked this post: DH7DN

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Keithly DMM7510 Fresh Off Calibration from the Mothership
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 07:49:09 am »
The DMM7510 is very stable in keeping its calibration value.
Thanks for sharing your Cal Data
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 10:05:46 am »
Hmm,

what I am wondering:

Even the calibrator is never "spot on" e.g. on the 10V value. (and ususally there is always a different calibrator used for each calibration)
so what was the actual value given for the 10V value from the calibrator?
In some protocols I can see this when calculating the average of the usually non-symmetrical low/high limits.
But in your case it is 10V +/-152uV  :-//
And what is the uncertainity of the calibration? (uncertainity from calibrator at the time of your calibration and the measurement setup?)

If I want to observe drift which should be <2 ppm/year after the first year of operation then I also want to keep track what was actually given from the calibrator for the reading in the protocol.

with best regards

Andreas

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 05:30:59 pm »
Very good. I would also record the UoM from the certificates this would allow you to put the measurments into perspective. Also I added some maths so show the error from non all and then check that its within the spec and then graph it all.

I suggest you make another sheet to compare the unit to a few of your lab standards and record that periodically so you can compare it all and see how good your kit is and how that drifts over time.

Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline ZenwizardTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Keithley DMM7510 Fresh Off Calibration from the Mothership
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 01:28:53 am »
Thanks for the info. I have the UoC data from Keithly. I am still working on my 8.5 meter the DMM7510 is the best I have in the lab at the moment. The gear used to calibrate the DMM7510 is as follows:
Fluke 5720A
Fluke 5725
Fluke 8505A
IET 1423
IET HACS-Z-A-2E-1uf
Keihly 3390

The accreditation was ISO 17025

For the 10V uncertainty I have
Full scale - 0.000029
half scale - 0.000016

I do have my eyes on the fluke 8.5 as for gear in the lab I am working with a
Voltage
Fluke 343A - DC
Fluke 5200A - AC
Fluke 5205A  - High AC

Current - best I have is a Keithley SMU 2450

Resistance - none yet

I do have a decade inductor box for Henry's - 6625

Frequency I am at a GPSDO -> 1pps -> Rb

You Tube Link - Fixing broken Things

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 06:22:35 am »
The deviations for the positive and negative readings are still well inside the accurracy specs, but a bit large to be explained with the expected degree of INL. The sign also changes from the +-10 V to +-5 V test points, so it should not be an offset either.
So chances are some of that error is also from the calibrator, with the test point not exactly at the nominal values. While OK to check if the meter meets it's accuracy specs, it may not be good enough to see the expected drift over time.

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 05:34:10 am »
I though this information might be of interest here in the Meteorology section. I am planning on doing a video for this for the channel but I will leave the excel sheet here. I am going to add to the log so I can get some drift over time so The center section will fill out once I get a second year History of the unit : It is my personal meter for the lab and it most accurate one that I have at the moment. My plan is to maintain this with keithly as this currently sets "Truth" for my lab. My every day meter is a DMM 6500 and a bank of DM502A's

This is an excel document created from the data Keithly sent me. I had the meter sent through their accredited calibration along with the data for longer term records this is the first data point. 

Zen

Thanks for sharing the results! I was "thrilled" to see a real A2LA accredited calibration certificate instead of an "ISO" rubbish  :-+  yaaay  ;D

The calibration lab's Voltage Standard was probably a Fluke 8508A 8.5 digit DMM which was used for comparison. The Fluke 5920A calibrator was probably used as a stable voltage supply so the nominal value difference isn't of importance. The important stuff is the actual measured value, its expanded uncertainty and the decision rules for the statement of conformity (e. g. DMM specifications).

They also have a very short recalibration intervals of only 3 months. I guess they need a high confidence in their calibration results because of high throughput. Building up a calibration history will be very expensive if you're aiming for a 12 month calibration interval. You could increase it to 24 months once your Fluke DMM7510 proves its stability over time.

Last but not least: it's called metrology (not meteorology) although metrologists also like to discuss the current weather situation (our air conditionings are suffering right now due to hot/moist weather)  :-DD
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 07:04:00 pm »
Hmm,

what I am wondering:

Even the calibrator is never "spot on" e.g. on the 10V value. (and ususally there is always a different calibrator used for each calibration)
so what was the actual value given for the 10V value from the calibrator?
In some protocols I can see this when calculating the average of the usually non-symmetrical low/high limits.
But in your case it is 10V +/-152uV  :-//
And what is the uncertainity of the calibration? (uncertainity from calibrator at the time of your calibration and the measurement setup?)

If I want to observe drift which should be <2 ppm/year after the first year of operation then I also want to keep track what was actually given from the calibrator for the reading in the protocol.

with best regards

Andreas

some calibration labs ”shift” the results to nominal value in the certificates, ie 99.999mV reference and 100.000mV UUT reading is shifted to ref=100.000mV and UUT 100.001mV

Not huge fan of the idea as it can cause its own set of problems  but it is done sometimes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf