Author Topic: Calibratory D-105 DC Precision Voltage Reference Standard  (Read 301744 times)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Calibratory D-105 DC Precision Voltage Reference Standard
« Reply #550 on: March 03, 2015, 09:10:02 pm »
Curious. Another thing I just noticed on that ebay page:

External Calibration Controls:    Yes

Are those the external calibration controls inside the box that shall not be opened, or some other external calibration controls?

Below the red and green round stickers (between the binding post's) you will find a small hole each and through these holes you can reach to the two 10-turns potentiometers. I presume this is what he means with "external calibration control"

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #551 on: March 03, 2015, 09:20:57 pm »
It is hermetically sealed against moisture with stickers?  :palm:

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #552 on: March 03, 2015, 10:58:29 pm »
Below the red and green round stickers (between the binding post's) you will find a small hole each and through these holes you can reach to the two 10-turns potentiometers. I presume this is what he means with "external calibration control"
Thanks, that answers that. Didn't notice that bit of information if it was mentioned earlier on in the thread...

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #553 on: March 04, 2015, 01:02:29 am »

288 hours isn't long term. Temperature drift is still drift, so it ultimately counts towards the accuracy of the system as a whole. This is why those figures are given in ppm/C. For long term temperature-independent results, the unit needs to be placed in a small chamber that can maintain absolute temperature (25c, 40c, whatever). Lastly, if you've only got 6.5 digit meters, don't bother. At that voltage the 10uV decade is noise anyway and accuracy to 100uV is nothing special. (Power Designs was doing 10uV accuracy in their benchtop power supplies in 1964 with a Zener and a few resistors).

Sent from my Tablet
I'm just reporting what I have so far. If you don't like it that's really not my doing. But I'm impressed with the performance thus far.  You should be too. As I said the test is "and running". I can't speed up the passage of time. But you can still criticize me for not doing that. I don't know what drives you. But those who contradict everything another man says, and who criticize everything another man does, are the sand in the intricate mechanism of civilization that makes cooperation among men impossible.

I like how you automatically go on the offensive without reading (or understanding) my entire post.

Let me break down what you need to do for true long term testing:

1) You need to test at least 10 units at the same time. This can easily be done for less than $100 by buying a switching mainframe on eBay. In fact, there are a few HP 3488A up right now for >$75 with relay modules. Another good choice would be the Keithley 7001, it runs a bit high price wise but you can find them for less than $100. Finally, the Keithley 705 is a solid choice. (If you really wanted to do it right you would get a Keithley 2002 8.5 digit meter, which has a built-in slot for scanner cards.)

2) All 10 units need to be in a controlled, constant temperature environment. A styrofoam cooler with a 40c PTC heater would work if you don't want to deal with PID controllers.

3) The wires going to the scanner need to be shielded twisted pair. The wires going to the DMM as well should be terminated with gold copper spade lugs for low thermal emf affects.

4) You would have the scanner switch between units every X seconds and trigger the meter to make X measurements at the slowest integration rate, for each unit, which your software will then average and store as a single reading.

Do this for 3-6 months undisturbed and you'll have useful data.

In fact, I couldn't tell from your last post, but you *are* logging what you're currently doing to a PC and not relying solely on the compressed averaging TrendPlot display, right?

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2015, 07:42:52 am »

288 hours isn't long term. Temperature drift is still drift, so it ultimately counts towards the accuracy of the system as a whole. This is why those figures are given in ppm/C. For long term temperature-independent results, the unit needs to be placed in a small chamber that can maintain absolute temperature (25c, 40c, whatever). Lastly, if you've only got 6.5 digit meters, don't bother. At that voltage the 10uV decade is noise anyway and accuracy to 100uV is nothing special. (Power Designs was doing 10uV accuracy in their benchtop power supplies in 1964 with a Zener and a few resistors).

Sent from my Tablet
I'm just reporting what I have so far. If you don't like it that's really not my doing. But I'm impressed with the performance thus far.  You should be too. As I said the test is "and running". I can't speed up the passage of time. But you can still criticize me for not doing that. I don't know what drives you. But those who contradict everything another man says, and who criticize everything another man does, are the sand in the intricate mechanism of civilization that makes cooperation among men impossible.

I like how you automatically go on the offensive without reading (or understanding) my entire post.

Let me break down what you need to do for true long term testing:

1) You need to test at least 10 units at the same time. This can easily be done for less than $100 by buying a switching mainframe on eBay. In fact, there are a few HP 3488A up right now for >$75 with relay modules. Another good choice would be the Keithley 7001, it runs a bit high price wise but you can find them for less than $100. Finally, the Keithley 705 is a solid choice. (If you really wanted to do it right you would get a Keithley 2002 8.5 digit meter, which has a built-in slot for scanner cards.)

2) All 10 units need to be in a controlled, constant temperature environment. A styrofoam cooler with a 40c PTC heater would work if you don't want to deal with PID controllers.

3) The wires going to the scanner need to be shielded twisted pair. The wires going to the DMM as well should be terminated with gold copper spade lugs for low thermal emf affects.

4) You would have the scanner switch between units every X seconds and trigger the meter to make X measurements at the slowest integration rate, for each unit, which your software will then average and store as a single reading.

Do this for 3-6 months undisturbed and you'll have useful data.

In fact, I couldn't tell from your last post, but you *are* logging what you're currently doing to a PC and not relying solely on the compressed averaging TrendPlot display, right?

Sent from my Tablet
That's a good design for the test. But it isn't the only possible design. It's a brute-force design needed to determine a minimum error. The other way it can be done is to use the worst-possible-scenario example, measure the results, and determine the maximum error of the worst possible example. Other units will be equal or better. Your design is meant to produce data to support tighter specifications. The alternative to that is to spec the device with comfortable margins for error. Then, you just have to determine whether any example performs outside the margins. Setting the error at double what experimental evidence indicates saves a lot of work.

We have an 8-1/2 digit meter. I only need it for checking the results. I'll confirm the findings using 8-1/2 digits. I use coax interconnects. I know that seems a bit weird for DC, but it eliminates several unknowns. The environmental chambers use PWM controllers, which create a 15A DC pulse at 150MHz. Twisted pair is susceptible to induction by high-frequency, high-current pulse signals nearby, but coax + BNC is not; at least  not perceptibly so.

If we decide to try to squeeze another ppm into the accuracy of this design, then I will use the test as designed by you. But right now we're just establishing absolute boundaries. After 14 days, the long-term drift is still masked by temperature drift. It would be nice to know "typical" performance. But for now we're using worst-case figures.

Accuracy figures for instruments are based on worst-possible figures, given the most hostile environments, the most external interference, and the worst possible drift the instrument is rated to endure. In industry, accuracy of measurements in a system must be assured, or it could make the difference between producing a useful drug or a deadly poison. In a controlled lab environment, an instrument should remain consistent across calibration periods.

The absolute error ratings apply at  temperature, radiation, vibration, pressure and humidity extremes. I've had meters that remained well within spec for 10 years, or more. It is proper to respect the volt; to practice due diligence and competency in procedures, methods, practices, documentation, etc.. But it is also proper to use rational sense: if a meter has drifted 0.5ppm during the last decade, and it is used in a laboratory, the maximum error figures given by the manufacturer apply only to an auditor who uses those figures as a guide to determine whether or not the device requires repair or replacement.

The instruments I use are optimized. Calibration and optimization are different things. Most calibration involves no adjustment. The device is simply checked to determine if it's within spec. If you want a piece of equipment spot-on, you have to pay for optimization, or adjust it yourself. 

In real life, if you've got historical data, and the device is reliable, it probably hasn't drifted much since the last calibration. If it has drifted so much that it is out of spec, someone would notice, unless it's the only meter in the joint.

I appreciate the equipment recommendations. I save money when I can, which isn't often. You're correct. If I want to obtain the most useful data, it's going to take time and effort. Data puts more value into the product, but practically no one actually requires  +-2ppm. It's nice to have. But I think I'm maxed out on the price as it is. I sell more +-6ppm units at 59.95USD than I do +-2ppm units at 97.95USD

I appreciate your suggestions and I learned a few new things. Thank you. I'll check out the equipment you recommended. How are the switching units rated, what spec do I look for?   
Anything truly new begins as a thought.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2015, 08:12:36 pm »
There's a bit of a learning curve on the switch scanner mainframes and modules. The Keithley 7001 scanner mainframe with a 7012-C quad 1x10 multiplexer module looks like a good choice for switching. Are there adapters available for the 96-pin connector on the 7012-C, or do techs make their own adapters, or maybe direct splicing?     

Update, I ordered the scanner switch. Now I just need to read the manual and figure out how to connect to the 96-pin connector.  The other stuff looks like it's fairly intuitive. Which module is better: solid-state or relay? 

@timb, I'm only saving the individual voltage readings. It's a project to set up software, because I have to use pyvisa and libvisa. I can't find anything else affordable to run on Fedora. I'll look online for the scripts I need. I apologize for being defensive, but I was earlier attacked on this board like never before. I can let it go. I think we all learned something from the experience. Adversity slays the wicked and perfects the righteous.

I didn't at first plan to make a big deal of my standard. But I realized, without the proper data to back it up, the standard itself is practically nothing at all. Whenever anyone uses it, they have to reinvent the wheel. So, I've made a commitment to record the data to discover more about the device.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:48:11 am by Awesome14 »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #556 on: March 08, 2015, 12:26:51 am »
You want the relay modules. The general purpose relay module will work for you. It does 10 DPDT connections I think. The solid state modules are basically an array of mosfets designed for signaling applications.

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
Calibratory D-105 DC Precision Voltage Reference Standard
« Reply #557 on: March 08, 2015, 12:35:03 am »
For your Linux VISA stuff, check out InstrumentKit: https://github.com/Galvant/InstrumentKit

It's made by the guy who has that $50 USB to GPIB adapter on eBay. It supports VISA, USBTMC, Serial and GPIB. It's easy to write a module that supports your device as all the communication stuff is taken care of.

I wrote a comm module to support my NI Serial to GPIB adapter. Now I've got 10 GPIB, 3 USBTMC and 2 serial devices all being controlled by a BeagleBone Black.

I'm currently working on a Web Interface that will hook in with InstrumentKit. It will allow you to write and save LUA scripts to easily perform T&M functions. Using some slick libraries you'll even be able to see realtime graphs of the data right on the page.

Sent from my Tablet

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #558 on: March 08, 2015, 02:22:47 am »
@ Timb : are you talking about the UGsimple usb converter.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #559 on: March 10, 2015, 04:52:33 am »

@ Timb : are you talking about the UGsimple usb converter.

No, it's the Galvant Industries one. He sells them on eBay and through his site. :)

Sent from my Smartphone

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #560 on: March 11, 2015, 08:35:59 am »
Looks like our friend Awesome14 also sells his standard without any magic thermal compensation:

Teradown starts at 31:00

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #561 on: March 11, 2015, 12:01:24 pm »
Looks like our friend Awesome14 also sells his standard without any magic thermal compensation:

And is using different IC's with clearly very different specifications.
Sometimes the REF102A and
Sometimes the LT1021C
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:11:04 pm by HighVoltage »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #562 on: March 11, 2015, 12:47:27 pm »
Hi Group,

There are two version for sale on eBay, one with temperature compensation and one without. This is the one without.

I noticed in the video (31:00) the LT1021 has date code: 0248. This week 48 of year 2002.

This suggests the part was probably surplus, not fresh parts from an authorized distributor.

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #563 on: March 11, 2015, 03:23:05 pm »
g' morning Jay

I don't even know the date code on mine, I don't want to pull off the magic foil ..

Despite the crudeness of the construction, it does work as well as any temperature compensated reference will work, and relies on the performance of the REF102C / LT1021C + the temperature compensation provided by the thermistor.

Since it was calibrated with the magic foil in it's magic place, I didn't want to mess with that, for fear of losing a ppm or two in tape residue :)

I won't know what part I have, until I decide I want to recalibrate it.

Offline Terabyte2007Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • It is purpose that created us... That defines us..
« Reply #564 on: March 11, 2015, 08:08:21 pm »
sometimes i wonder ... how should 1 justify the cost of a Vref ...

Probably for the same reason we justify the cost of all our other test gear!  ;D
Eric Haney, MCSE, EE, DMC-D
Electronics Designer, Prototype Builder

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #565 on: March 12, 2015, 12:01:34 am »

Teradown starts at 31:00
Nice review. Can't believe how many people actually ordered the snake oil. Current ebay listings for the "higher end" unit show 18 units sold and the "lower end" unit shows 46 sold.

Sorry I am new here (first post). Funny thread, made me feel good about my soldering :)

Offline The Doc

• Contributor
« Reply #566 on: March 12, 2015, 03:00:47 am »
The construction of these units is superb.

Comedy gold   :-DD

Did you solder it with a catapult?

Don't forget to tune in for next week's episode... Awesome's free energy device!

Too old to die young

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #567 on: March 12, 2015, 12:07:53 pm »
it is interesting to note ... every picture posted here about the PCB is always the same "KLMNOP..." are they all of the same board? or all the units use this particular section ?
May be that is part of the "magic"

in the background, the banana jack bottoms are ... filed off it seems?
Yes, they are cut and then filed down very roughly.

and that video ... it says its the most accurate Vref in its price range?
In the video, I think he was only referring to the claims and not the actual unit.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #568 on: March 13, 2015, 06:07:34 am »
For your Linux VISA stuff, check out InstrumentKit: https://github.com/Galvant/InstrumentKit

It's made by the guy who has that $50 USB to GPIB adapter on eBay. It supports VISA, USBTMC, Serial and GPIB. It's easy to write a module that supports your device as all the communication stuff is taken care of.

I wrote a comm module to support my NI Serial to GPIB adapter. Now I've got 10 GPIB, 3 USBTMC and 2 serial devices all being controlled by a BeagleBone Black.

I'm currently working on a Web Interface that will hook in with InstrumentKit. It will allow you to write and save LUA scripts to easily perform T&M functions. Using some slick libraries you'll even be able to see realtime graphs of the data right on the page.

Sent from my Tablet
That sounds pretty good. I'll clone the git repository.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #569 on: March 13, 2015, 06:10:19 am »
You want the relay modules. The general purpose relay module will work for you. It does 10 DPDT connections I think. The solid state modules are basically an array of mosfets designed for signaling applications.

Sent from my Tablet
OK, I ordered the wrong multiplexer. So, I ordered the general-purpose keithley 7011-S.  It's supposed to be here next week Wednesday. I wonder, does anyone know if every relay in the multiplexer requires custom compensation. I could also read the manual.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:26:44 am by Awesome14 »

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #570 on: March 13, 2015, 06:16:21 am »

And is using different IC's with clearly very different specifications.
Sometimes the REF102A and
Sometimes the LT1021C
The man must have purchased his unit before we switched to the 102C. Originally, we used the 1021. But only about 50-100 of those were sold. We switched the chip and now the listing says the IC is the TIREF102C. That was a terrible review, because the device wasn't used properly. 

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #571 on: March 13, 2015, 06:18:28 am »
Hi Group,

There are two version for sale on eBay, one with temperature compensation and one without. This is the one without.

I noticed in the video (31:00) the LT1021 has date code: 0248. This week 48 of year 2002.

This suggests the part was probably surplus, not fresh parts from an authorized distributor.

Jay_Diddy_B
We sourced the 1021s from mouser and digikey.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #572 on: March 13, 2015, 06:21:25 am »
g' morning Jay

I don't even know the date code on mine, I don't want to pull off the magic foil ..

Despite the crudeness of the construction, it does work as well as any temperature compensated reference will work, and relies on the performance of the REF102C / LT1021C + the temperature compensation provided by the thermistor.

Since it was calibrated with the magic foil in it's magic place, I didn't want to mess with that, for fear of losing a ppm or two in tape residue :)

I won't know what part I have, until I decide I want to recalibrate it.
All units with temperature compensation use the TIREF102C.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #573 on: March 13, 2015, 07:06:33 am »
Latest update on long-term drift. No long-term drift figures are available at this time. But we do have a 21-day trend plot.

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #574 on: March 13, 2015, 08:23:02 am »
Try to reduce your temperature drift slopes during the longish-time measurements!
I know in the US basements are not that usual, but if there is one, use it. Put a cloth over the DUT, or put it in a box. Even consider thermostatting it. You might use a Resistor powered by a programmable PSU and a NTC measured by a leftover DMM and let some software do the work. Second advantage: You get temperature readings for free :) (Could even log the output voltage dmm too!)

The Tempco of the whole reference circuit shall not appear in this longish-term drift measurement but will be its own thing.

I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf