Author Topic: Vintage weston element is it any good?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline dzsekiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Vintage weston element is it any good?
« on: June 17, 2020, 05:57:33 am »
I am not a voltnut, but at work a colleague of mine (a mechanical engineer) brought in a weston cell (Elektro Weida - Weltor, made in GDR)  that was his late father's. This cell is vintage, build date ~1962. Obviously is not holding the original voltage of 1.018xxx V instead it is showing 1.014xxx V with a calibrated HP 3478A multimeter, is there any use for the cell still, or is it just a paperweight?
HP 1720A scope with HP 1120A probe, EMG 12563 pulse generator, EMG 1257 function generator, EMG 1172B signal generator, MEV TR-1660C bench multimeter

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Vintage weston element is it any good?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:00:11 am »
I have a saturated cell from '49 that is still OK. I was lucky, since they are mechanically fragile (both glass and the electrode structure) and electrically fragile (zero current must be taken in use).

Unfortunately it looks like yours isn't useful any more, and is merely a toxic paperweight due to the visible mercury and cadmium salts in the solution. But I'd wait for comments from others before taking it for safe disposal.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 07:22:07 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 07:11:31 am »
All you want to know about Weston cells: https://www.conradhoffman.com/stdcell.htm
Life span is 7 to 14 years, yours is bad.

The link is an interesting read also for anybody trying to establish a lab voltage standard:
It takes a minimum of three cells to maintain the volt with any degree of reliability. With one cell, there is no way to know if a change has occurred. With two cells, a change in either one will be detected, but there is no way to determine which one. With three cells, the errant cell can be identified. In addition, one cell can be sent off for certification, then compared on its return to be sure no shift or damage has occurred. The following rules are condensed from Harris' Electrical Measurements (1952):

Cells in general laboratory use should be checked against each other frequently. At least one cell should be reserved for such checks, and not be subjected to the hazards of routine operation. Such cells should be sent to a sta..

Regards, Dieter

Offline Harfner

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 07:54:23 am »
This is most likely an unsaturated cell, which is (toxic) waste by now.

Offline fant

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 08:51:28 pm »
Just my few cents.

This is the cell from my lab.
Dated April 1964.

Best regards

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 09:12:50 pm »
That one is a Muirhead saturated standard cell. Unlike the unsaturated ones, it will maintain its voltage until its capacity is exhausted, rather than over time.

The voltage temperature coefficient of Saturated cells is higher though, so they need to be measured with reference to a (stable) ambient temperature. Again, you must not draw any significant current from the cell when measuring.

Datasheet attached (courtesy of a fellow forum member)...

P.S. From your label, it looks as if you know about them!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:14:35 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf